Engineer goby

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted an engineer goby since I have a community tank and can't get an eel. I've never got one cause I heard they dig holes in the sand and destroy rock work. I recently made my tank bare bottom, would I be able to get one now or do they need sand?

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for 2 years. He lives under a rock and digs a few holes but not enough to cause a collapse or Anithing. Very cool but he never comes out :(

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for 2 years. He lives under a rock and digs a few holes but not enough to cause a collapse or Anithing. Very cool but he never comes out :(

Of course they hide cause you probably like them. The fish you don't care about are probably constantly out lol

MrD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an engineer goby for a while that I purchased along with a running system. It was fun to watch him work. You definitely need a full sand bed and you need to secure the rockwork carefully to ensure his digging doesn't topple anything. You also probably won't. E able to keep corals on the sandbed because they will likely get covered on a regular basis. This means acans, frags, plates, scolys, etc. have to be mounted on rockwork at all times which is a challenge if you like to collect coral. It was cool creature but in the end I found it limited my options for coral and I traded him to a fellow reefer.

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an engineer goby for a while that I purchased along with a running system. It was fun to watch him work. You definitely need a full sand bed and you need to secure the rockwork carefully to ensure his digging doesn't topple anything. You also probably won't. E able to keep corals on the sandbed because they will likely get covered on a regular basis. This means acans, frags, plates, scolys, etc. have to be mounted on rockwork at all times which is a challenge if you like to collect coral. It was cool creature but in the end I found it limited my options for coral and I traded him to a fellow reefer.
I have 5 or 6 in the sandbed. Surprisingly he doesn't bother them!

FizxVix3n

Feb2018 1st SW tank - BC29
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank large enough or are you concerned about moving him/her at some point? I love them but everything I've read said they need a bigger tank than my BC. I was hoping to find people with experience suggesting otherwise. Of course I'll do what's best for the fishie!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A melatremus eel would be fine in a community tank.

I agree get a Golden Dwarf Moray Eel. They stay small and you will have to stay away from really small fish. They also can be a little shy but they are interesting especially once you learn to feed them.
They need a cover or they may jump.

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank large enough or are you concerned about moving him/her at some point? I love them but everything I've read said they need a bigger tank than my BC. I was hoping to find people with experience suggesting otherwise. Of course I'll do what's best for the fishie!
I have actually tried to get him out before but wasn't successful. Reason being he never comes out. But he seems happy so he will stay for now. He is pretty big, almost Too big at about 3 inches long. I was not aware how big he would get when I got him unfortunatly

c2l2parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually tried to get him out before but wasn't successful. Reason being he never comes out. But he seems happy so he will stay for now. He is pretty big, almost Too big at about 3 inches long. I was not aware how big he would get when I got him unfortunatly
aLOL at the 3 inches. My engineer goby is about 8 or 9 inches. They change a lot in appearance as they grow. However, he is still somewhat skittish and comes out mostly during feedings. As mentioned, they can burrow a lot and cause rocks to move. The LFS has one that is over a foot long and is probably 2 inches in diameter, so I know mine will get even longer and a lot fatter.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.5%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back