Engineer goby

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we talk about how they can be ruthless killers at night?

I had a couple in my 220. If I recall, the biggest of the two was at least 12". One died for unknown reasons (think it was killed by the other EG) and the other died because I dropped a rock on its head. I started to have fish disappear on me. Asking some help from R2R (especially @Tahoe61 & @DSC reef ) I came to the conclusion that these fish might be silent killers at night. Although no evidence that this happened, it is something to think about.
I remember. We moved ours to the 125 since I witnessed it kill our radiant wrasse. Plus they out grew the 75 real quick!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the 29g, I think they would outgrow it fast. Since I got mine at 8", I do not have experience in how fast they grow, but I do know that 29g cube is not enough for a grown one.

Maybe pick another cool goby instead. There are soooooo many. Love this category of fish.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Engineer gobies need sand.

Yup, they need the sand not only for burrowing, but also because they feed on micro-organisms in the sand. They do get big over time. I have one in my 90 gallon tank and it provides an invaluable aeration service.

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 in my 220 over the yrs they have gotten big both are more then 12” I havnt had issues with them eating smaller fish but they burrow non stop and make a mess I hAve no way of removing them or I would

U

User1

View Badges
Well, I think the general consensus is that a engineer goby is going to out grow the 29 gallon bio cube in time. Just how fast we are not sure, but it will. So at least we all agree there. The rest is just up to the owner of the reef and their personal husbandry of the system. I think most try house responsibly. In any case 12" of a single fish in a bio cube is not good husbandry. Biased here of course because I had two 29 gallon bio cubes and wouldn't consider that fish for that very reason. Heck, I will also say it is too small to house a bubble tip anonome :) I started with one, then it split, then they got very large with one exceeding 12" tip to tip. Combined both tanks into a 40 breeder and over the course of 4 years they split more and now I have 7... :( So now I'm upgrading to a 210 gallon. Go figure.

Anyway - they are pretty slick fish and fun to watch grow. I'd say a baby/small guy/gal is ok but you would need to plan rehoming within a year I'd say if not sooner. I really don't know the rate of growth. Best of luck though.

Triggerfriend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine's about 12 inches long. I got him when he was about 1 inch. He normally hides all the time, and all he does to burrow is make a pit in the sand for the pellets I feed him to fall into. He's really skittish, and won't come out when I feed him. I have mine in a 75 gallon. I would think an engineer goby that has mine's temperament and habits would be able to live in a 29 gallon, but it would be cramped for him. I would advise to get at least a 50 gallon for an engineer goby, since they can get up to 14 inches.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 61 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back