Enough flow for sps?

  • Thread starter Thread starter acropora4u
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

acropora4u

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 10, 2012
Messages
2,736
Reaction score
1,200
Location
here
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ED5476F7-35B3-4847-BB76-0E612F1072F2.jpeg
2x maxspect gyre XF250. 1 x maxspect Gyre xf150. 1 x Ecotech mp60w 1 x Jabeo 20 and return pump Ecotech M1 running thru 2 eductors.
 
In a 100000000g tank no in a 10g tank yes.

aquascape has a major role in flow. Corals growing over time will also diminish it.

How long is your tank?
 
yeah then. I have two 250 in a 6 feet long and I have enough flow to stir up the sand causing a storm at 80%.
 
#1 rule of SPS. There is no such thing as enough flow for SPS. I run 2mp40 2 pp4 and 2 pp8 on a 40x20 tank, and it’s still not enough.oh yeah and jebao dc 12000 return pump 50%.
 
#1 rule of SPS. There is no such thing as enough flow for SPS. I run 2mp40 2 pp4 and 2 pp8 on a 40x20 tank, and it’s still not enough.oh yeah and jebao dc 12000 return pump 50%.
I swear that every time I think I have "plenty of flow" I decide I need more. I'm planning on being able to do over 100x on my new build, hopefully that will be enough.
 
I have 100X turnover in my current 180G and I still feel like I need more.
 
I swear that every time I think I have "plenty of flow" I decide I need more. I'm planning on being able to do over 100x on my new build, hopefully that will be enough.
Check out how VividAquariums designs their tanks. They have the return plumbing coming from all 4 corners. I have no idea how this isn’t the standard amongst sps keepers yet.
 
I swear that every time I think I have "plenty of flow" I decide I need more. I'm planning on being able to do over 100x on my new build, hopefully that will be enough.
I agree. I have two gyre 250's in my 6 foot tank running at 100% and I look in there and think the polyps are moving enough, lol.
 
I run 2 MP40s plus a Sicce 2.0 return on a 40br. The MP40s max out at 50% and the Sicce is at 25%. If I didn’t have substrate I’d probably turn them up even more.
 
I just use a Tunze Wavebox and a pair of 6100s in my 8 foot 240g... plenty of flow, but the wavebox does more than any flow pump can by moving the entire tank volume all of the time (similar to the gyre).

Yes, you can have too much flow, but unless you are growing coral only one direction and tissue is peeling off, then you are OK.
 
*edit - This is what I get for browsing old threads, ended up bumping a year old thread. Oops :)
 
...but there IS something as too much flow. Ask a couple of my cavitating (?) colonies.
 
I have 8 MP60s on my 40 gallon breeder. Still feel like I need more flow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new