OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up re-scaping the right side of the tank. I wasn't satisfied with the flow and it seemed like the huge rock formation/cave was going to trap waste. I figured I may as well change it now before it becomes a problem. I will post a video this weekend. I have a couple of really nice coral colonies coming on Saturday so I'll wait until Sunday to shoot the footage so I can include them.
I am going to get my doser set up soon. I decided to go with ATI Essentials and it should be here early next week. I am starting to get enough corals in the tank that I don't want to keep dosing by hand.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to follow how the ATI Essentials goes for you. I am intrigued by that program.

I have been researching a few different dosing options and it was between the Red Sea Foundation and ATI. I will definitely keep this thread updated with how the tank and corals respond. I plan on sending in a water sample to be tested after a couple of months of dosing to see where all the levels are. I also purchased the Hanna dkh checker and I love it!! Quick and easy to use.

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching a few different dosing options and it was between the Red Sea Foundation and ATI. I will definitely keep this thread updated with how the tank and corals respond. I plan on sending in a water sample to be tested after a couple of months of dosing to see where all the levels are. I also purchased the Hanna dkh checker and I love it!! Quick and easy to use.

I'm regretting not getting the hanna dkh checker on black Friday. Maybe next year :)

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a new video today. It ended up being longer than I intended, I kinda rambled on, but anyway.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got around to taking some photos of my tank. I got an app called aquarium cam and it worked pretty well. The tank is just about 2 months old now.
F4F2F1B1-E925-4F9E-AEA3-D0428AA1B86E.jpeg
5342AAB3-7489-4583-AD1A-CCFC63036568.jpeg
FEA72179-664D-4152-A134-E886580F7CE2.jpeg
ABC44E6F-082B-4FB7-9DB5-F8910872CB54.jpeg
38353BB3-621E-4BE3-8A9A-9AE28740C926.jpeg

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Coral Box doser set up and it is working well. I do have one dosing head that I can’t get working, but I will be getting a new head sent to me to exchange it out. So far the ATI Essentials is going ok. My alk has been fairly stable within .3 dkh each day when I check it.
C929B5EF-0C4F-49E3-843B-DC8FFC81C897.jpeg
6434D55E-EB59-4278-8706-6D961B470A37.jpeg

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep noticing your fire fish whenever I look at your pics or videos. They weren't on my original stocking list but I may have to look into getting some, lol.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep noticing your fire fish whenever I look at your pics or videos. They weren't on my original stocking list but I may have to look into getting some, lol.

Those guys are always out front and center ready to photo bomb. They aren’t shy at all. Great little fish.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the dosing is going good. My alk has been holding steady at 7.8-8.0 and calcium right at 400-420. I need to test my mag tonight. Everything is doing fine nothing new to report. I am planning a trip to the LFS store tomorrow and might pick up some clowns if they have what I want.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Nikon out today and decided to try and get some photos of my corals and fish. I really need to get a tripod. I have a few new corals and believe it or not, two anemones. This was not planned to happen so soon. I was at my LFS on Monday and they had what was labeled as a magnifica or ritteri and I have always wanted to keep one. It looked really good so I decided to give it try. Once I got it home and in the tank I began to suspect it was a green LTA and I was right. It is beautiful and I decided I would keep it anyway.
_EMA7301.JPG

It has settled in nicely and continues to color up and spread out. I stopped back by the LFS to talk to let them know about the mistaken id and since the price for the LTA was less I had some credit to spend. I spotted a very healthy sebae anemone that unfortunately was dyed yellow. This was actually my first time seeing a dyed one face to face. I didn't think this type of stuff was still being done. It has been many years since I have seen a sebae this large that looked so healthy in a LFS. I owned a large purple (the one in my avatar) for several years and the tentacle length on this dyed one was very similar. Impulsively and against my better judgement I decided to bring this one home. I have read a few accounts where people were successful in keeping them and they regained their natural tannish color after several months.

_EMA7300.jpg

This beauty attached within 5 minutes and has not deflated even once since being placed in my tank. It has accepted a small piece of salmon which I intend to feed every couple of days until it has regained its correct color. I probably should have left this anemone in the store because I definitely don't support this practice, but I felt so bad for this animal and just had to try and save it. I will keep this thread updated with how it does.

A few more photos of my corals and fish.

A pink tipped green torch
_EMA7382.jpg

Purple and orange palys
_EMA7383.JPG

Purple w/green polyps acro
_EMA7380.jpg

Ora Scripps

_EMA7393.JPG

Ora Pink & Green Damicornus
_EMA7390.JPG

Superman Monti
_EMA7389.JPG

Ora green sinularia
_EMA7394.JPG

Melanurus wrasse ( I think he is my favorite)
_EMA7344.jpg

Just a random shot of the right side of the tank

_EMA7397.JPG

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking Good! I too can't believe animals are still getting dyed :( I am always looking for something "yellow" for my tank but there is not a lot out there that is truly yellow. So we are going with quite a few fish that have yellow on them :)

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest FTS taken today. It is super difficult for me to get the whole tank in one shot. This was the best I could do. Taken with my iPhone.
DDBEE723-3AF0-456A-8EB2-24EF7C02D33A.jpeg

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pink tipped torch was looking so nice tonight I just had to take a photo.
38638C4C-8F97-4B57-AC46-E80E05744E26.jpeg

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good friend of mine had to take her relatively new reef tank down due to taking a job out of the country, She called me this past Sunday and asked me if I would take her powder blue tang, convict tang, and 3 lyretail anthis. I honestly had not considered anthias or a convict tang for my tank. I decided to take them because I know she has a strict qt. protocol and getting these type of fish already conditioned doesn't happen for me , ever...lol.. I guess I will find out just how good my qt. procedures have been considering I just added two Acanthurus tangs to my tank. I posted a video in the tang aggression thread yesterday as my scopas was giving the PBT a little grief. Today things are very much improved and all of the new fish are eating and playing nicely. Here is a little update clip I just took.

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank, just a heads up, the red and green favia will encrust on the rock and grow large in 2 yrs (see mine, started similar size as yours). It has long tentacles that will zap is s surrounding

B8269369-0144-470C-A08A-A9288F1943EB.jpeg

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank, just a heads up, the red and green favia will encrust on the rock and grow large in 2 yrs (see mine, started similar size as yours). It has long tentacles that will zap is s surrounding

B8269369-0144-470C-A08A-A9288F1943EB.jpeg

Thank you for the tip. Your favia is beautiful. Mine is actually purple and green, but it probably looks red in my photos. I have a hard time capturing the true colors of my corals sometimes.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back