OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a great shot tonight of all 5 of the new fish.

DA2B6CBA-1DCD-4817-A89B-95E8744B0F2A.jpeg

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some really nice orange ricordea yumas from the LFS tonight. Took a couple of photos and the PBT was trying to steal the show.. lol

48B02EC3-D5AA-4BCE-96A1-6AF1DE1963D0.jpeg
6874BF78-0C3B-4D3F-A8D0-A742C3ABAB3E.jpeg

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a short video tonight of my fish enjoying some masstick food. All of my fish love this stuff!!

Tank is doing well. I added a couple of rocks to make some room for my expanding ric/yuma garden. I bought a DIY Red Sea screen top kit as I decided a custom screen top was just too dang expensive. Hopefully this will be easy to build. I am also going to be adding 10 lbs, of miracle mud to my refugium. I have always wanted to try it. I am going to send in my first ATI ICP test so I can have a before mud results and then in about 2 monmths I will send in for another test to see if the mud changes any of the levels.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was a bad reefing day for me
sad.gif
. I got home from work a little early this afternoon and went to check my tank like usual and my new Walt Disney frag was missing. I know exactly what happened. My 2 azure damsels always attack any new frags I put in my tank. I have to be very careful to glue them well and keep my eye on them until I am sure the glue has cured and they are secure, otherwise they can and will knock them off the rocks. Well last night it was late when I got home from my reef club meeting with the frag, and the fish were already asleep when I glued it, so I thought it would be fine. I didn't have time this morning to look at the tank so I have no idea when they knocked it off.

I ended up completely tearing apart the entire right side of my rockwork trying to find it. I even raked through the sand thinking maybe my diamond goby buried it today. No luck. I didn't find it. Maybe it fell into one of the many holes in the rocks I don't know, but I am so mad at those fish
angry.gif
. If that wasn't enough, my sebae was on its way out and I had to go ahead and remove it. I knew better than to try and rescue a dyed anemone, but I guess we live and learn.

The bright side to all of this, if you want to call it that, is I had to re-scape the right side of my tank and I think I like it better. The flow is definitely better now that the aquascape is more open.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We made look down boxes at our reef club meeting last Monday night and I love looking at my reef with this. I used it to try and find my missing frag but no luck I took a new FTS of the new scape on the right side and also got some with the look down box.
8C37A49F-4685-421A-ABF8-FA1A106D0FBD.jpeg
519D284D-8FC2-434C-832B-75C68FCBE81F.jpeg
6A090850-4F1D-4176-B60E-3832ACDAE32D.jpeg
742179C6-A4DF-48A8-A7FB-C7BBFB9A8930.jpeg
27A75653-4975-4E15-A852-984F5B593073.jpeg

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you make a look down box? Can you get a picture of the box? Tank looks nice!

We made them with two pieces of acrylic that we welded together with Weldon 16. I think that was the number, but I need to double check that. Here are a few photos of the box, which is really a cylinder lol .
8A9B004C-482D-4905-B114-18B9173CB4F7.jpeg
1E38505F-8129-45DE-ADD3-6861BD82FACE.jpeg

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first time since I set up this tank I am seeing some red cyano algae growing on my rocks. I expected this as part of the normal succession of algae growth in a new tank, but it took its time coming. I’m not too worried about it as I think it will go away on its own eventually. My guess is I released some organics when I moved the rocks and sand around looking for that frag and the cyano is taking advantage of it.

I still haven’t located the Walt Disney frag so it is probably a lost cause now. I am debating whether I want to spend the money to get another.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered and received my first Battlebox from Adam at Battle Corals. My shipment was delayed by one day (of course, my bad luck lately), but 6 out of the 8 frags made it. I am super happy with the frags I received
Vivid rainbow delight, PC rainbow, Blue stag, Glow stick, strawberry lemonade, and Battlejuice. A photo right after acclimation and a FTS after I glued them down. I usually remove frags from the plugs, but I left these because most of them had encrusted already. I had to include one of my convict tang photo bombing my shot of the strawberry lemonade.
C51C0184-07BD-4609-9CE7-BAA1DA2148E1.jpeg
477BD08E-75D4-41FB-82A8-A5B80020ED51.jpeg

ABAD6EB3-1EFD-42C4-B4DE-B85F856F4244.jpeg

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't updated in a while so I thought I would just post up a video. . The little cyano outbreak is receding and I have acquired a few more sps frags from Battle Corals. I love all of Adam's stuff and if I could I would take a frag of everything lol...

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havent posted an update in July so I figured I better get this done today...LOL...

The tank is coming along. All of my LPS and softies are growing like weeds. My SPS are a mixed bag. Some are growing well and others are just in a stall. Fish are all doing great!

Here is the latest FTS and a photo of my spoiled PBT.

IMG-1833.jpg
IMG-1839.jpg
IMG-1851.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is looking NICE!!! Thanks for sharing!

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I can't wait to have that many fish swimming around my tank again

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed updating in August. It has been a super busy summer for me. I had two trips almost back to back for work, but thank God my reef is hanging in there. I have had some ups and downs with the tank which is pretty normal in the first year. Somehow aptasia managed to sneak by me and has become a problem. I just put 16 berghia nudibranchs in the tank and I am hoping they will do their magic soon. My clownfish are really tough on any coral they decide to host and they started killing off my beautiful frogsspawn so I had to remove it to my sons tank to try and save it. I moved my torch and octocoral in the hope that my clown will leave them alone. I gave them my large leather and I also purchased a rainbow bubble tip for them. The BTA split after only a week in my tank. Im not sure why, but it came from a tank with MH lights so maybe the change in lighting stressed it. I got a photo of the split just by luck.

IMG-1926.JPG

And now I have 2!!

IMG-1948.jpg

I am planning a frag/qt for coral as soon as I find the time to get a space cleared and get it set up. I was going to drill the tank for a sump, but I am now leaning towards a more simple set up with just light, power filter and flow. I will only have a couple of fish in there and should be able to keep things under control with just a couple water changes a month. Well that is the plan anyway. I shot a short clip of the tank today during the white light peak. I didn't edit or add any music so you can hear my flow kicking it...lol..

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a clown that loved our torches. Never did any damage luckily. Now we have 2 clowns that prefer the powerhead over the 4 BTA in the tank, lol

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work has been keeping me so busy the past few months that I haven't posted an update in a while.

I have had some bad luck with some of my fish. I lost my PBT, my darwin clown, and all 3 of my anthias. It happened while I was away on a work trip and my adult son was taking care of the tank for me. I am not 100% sure what caused their deaths, but I have a guess. My son was taking care of the tank for me and he texts me about 4 days after I left and tells me all of my anthias are dead and he couldn't find my black clown. He said he thought they looked fine the day before and the rest of my fish look normal. I thought this was weird, but there wasn't anything that I could do about it so I told him to just keep a close eye out for any issues. By the time I returned home 3 days later my PBT was dead. All of my remaining fish looked fine as well as my corals. Later that same day I noticed there was a coffee cup sitting on the shelf in the frig next to the butter and when I pulled it out I saw it had mysis shrimp in it. Light bulb goes off in my head and I asked my son why he was saving frozen fish food in the frig as I would never feed this to my fish. He thought it was ok to save the food in the frig for a day or two so he had been defrosting 2-3 cubes at a time and then feeding my fish with it. He told me that he saw some videos on YouTube where people were pre-rinsing frozen foods and storing them in frig for 4-5 days at a time. He is new to reef keeping and has been watching a ton of videos researching stuff. I couldn't believe people actually do this with frozen fish food. Everything I have ever learned about feeding frozen food is to keep it frozen and just defrost what you are going to feed at one time. My son felt really bad. I can't say for sure this is what killed my fish, but I can't think of anything else. I hate leaving my tank!!!!

I don't think I will replace the tang or the anthias. I bought a pair of midnight clowns, but only one made it through qt for me. I am going to be happy with what I have for now as far as fish go. I did add a purple base magnifica anemone about two weeks ago and it is doing very well. I love the nem and finally my ocellaris clowns are leaving my corals alone. They jumped in the mag about 5-10 minutes after it was in the tank...lol.. my two rainbow bubble tips get no clown love...

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this all the time with my mysis or brine shrimp. I put them in the tank water , feed some and save the leftover in the fridge for feeding 2 days later

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back