Epaulette Shark Breeding Setup

zonatus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into getting a breeding pair of epaulette sharks. This is obviously quite expensive, and I am looking to cut costs where I can without compromising the safety of the sharks. The 300 gallon Rubbermaid tub seems to be the most affordable option, does anyone see any issues with keeping a pair of eppies in it? Also would like to hear recommendations on filtration. If possible I'd like to have a sump area to hatch the eggs and raise the babies but if that doesn't work out I have a 40b lying around I can put them in. I'm also trying to find a way to get the sharks as adults more affordably. I could theoretically get them at wholesale price from the pet store I work at but I don't think we'll be getting any anytime soon. The adults cost at least $650 the only place I've seen them online. If anyone has any they don't want anymore let me know. Not interested in any sharks besides eppies.

OP
OP
zonatus

zonatus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also does anyone have any ideas for what the 40b for the eggs/babies should be set up like? I was thinking either barebottom or maybe putting a small fish in there just for looks and keeping nutrients around.

Last edited:

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA is breeding Epaulette's now.

42" adult size... 300g Rubermaid stock tanks are only 69". I can't imagine a pair of Epaulette's being happy in that size of a tank. Tractor Supply shows an 8' round tank for not much more money, more than doubles the water volume to 625g. Pentair makes fiberglass tanks up to 8x4x3, might work pretty well.

If you're looking for adult fish, you might make it known that you're looking, and that you have an appropriate home for them. Occasionally you can find somebody that ended up with a juvenile that is rapidly outgrowing their system. I stumbled across someone that was trying to sell a pair of large carpet sharks a year or so back. Price was reasonable, but shipping them is a bit complicated ;)

OP
OP
zonatus

zonatus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you give me a link to the tractor supply tank? I've seen it before but I have it been able to find it

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! Following! Please keep us updated.

OP
OP
zonatus

zonatus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be a while before I can save up enough to get the sharks but I will!

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be a while before I can save up enough to get the sharks but I will!
Just came across this thread... interesting...

This is a UK site, but I assume similar is available in the US? A friend of mine with a massive FW system used 2 of these for breeding giant gouramis... could be worth a shot if you've got the space...

http://www.directwatertanks.co.uk/w...o-10000-litres/7000-litre-open-top-water-tank

Works out to about 1850 us gallons. Dimensions are 7' 2" dia x 6' 4" high.

Remember a decent ladder and scuba gear [emoji2]

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also look at HDPE tanks in larger sizes. I would think that 500+ gallons would be a better choice for space to allow these animals to be happy. You could also consider a shallow plywood/cement tank with epoxy or a pond liner then you can build a large tank to fit your space.

Anthony Mckay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound a bit daft but I've used them for koi and large sturgeon.
I used these as my budget wouldn't stretch to £800 for a tank.
I know nothing about breeding sharks or what space you have. Sorry to waffle on.
I use metal framed circular swimming pools they have big water volume to the £ are made of safe materials for fish and can be taken down and moved easily !!
Another option is make a big framed plywood tank and put a decent liner in it.

Cheilinus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really can't beat a metal frame pool for ease of setup. I decided to go this route as I wanted a larger system, but didn't want to have to undertake a major construction project in order to get one into my house.

pool3.jpg

Here's an older pic from 3 years ago when I first set mine up so that you can see the plumbing. Just a 10' metal frame pool with insulation and a liner. Holds approx. 1500 gallons, which would be large enough for a pair/small group of eppies. I tee'd off of the main line to the sump into a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub which I use as a refugium to grow macro for my tangs (would make a great hatchery/grow out tank, and there would be no need for additional pumps/equipment. Just make sure that you plumb in a ball valve to control the water flow). You'll definitely want to pick up a good dehumidifier as well.

Here's a current pic of how it looks today. I built a "dock" around the pool so that my basement doesn't look so much like a marine science lab.
FPS.JPG

Will have to do a proper build thread at some point, but I wanted to post this in the mean time incase you are still looking for some ideas!

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced Eppie or pair? I have been looking for the past 2 months with not much luck. Liveaquaria told me $900 for a ORA one when it should be much closer to $500... Tank is a 7ftx6ftx2ft 625g with nothing in it currently

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really can't beat a metal frame pool for ease of setup. I decided to go this route as I wanted a larger system, but didn't want to have to undertake a major construction project in order to get one into my house.

pool3.jpg

Here's an older pic from 3 years ago when I first set mine up so that you can see the plumbing. Just a 10' metal frame pool with insulation and a liner. Holds approx. 1500 gallons, which would be large enough for a pair/small group of eppies. I tee'd off of the main line to the sump into a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub which I use as a refugium to grow macro for my tangs (would make a great hatchery/grow out tank, and there would be no need for additional pumps/equipment. Just make sure that you plumb in a ball valve to control the water flow). You'll definitely want to pick up a good dehumidifier as well.

Here's a current pic of how it looks today. I built a "dock" around the pool so that my basement doesn't look so much like a marine science lab.
FPS.JPG

Will have to do a proper build thread at some point, but I wanted to post this in the mean time incase you are still looking for some ideas!

Great why did I see this!!! Now I want to change my basement setup and remove the 2 x 300 gallon Rubbermaid’s put in a 15x6’ pool and make a huge reef.

Riley S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced Eppie or pair? I have been looking for the past 2 months with not much luck. Liveaquaria told me $900 for a ORA one when it should be much closer to $500... Tank is a 7ftx6ftx2ft 625g with nothing in it currently

If you're still looking, look at https://www.sharkandreef.com/epaulette-shark/ Shipping is airport to airport and runs about $65 (something like that, whatever the minimum fee is). He shows one in stock as of now but you can email to ask about more. I bought three epaulettes a couple years ago from this place and each time was a great experience. Yes they are expensive, but the epaulette is expensive in general. Also, these will come in still as juveniles, but will be twice as large than what the ORA ones are. That makes the initial care much easier. If you bought one of the divers den ORA pairs the other day, then disregard this message.

Here is my setup. I thought I would share it since sharks are just so cool. I only have one of the two tanks filled at the moment, and they are just like the 8' TSC tanks mentioned above, except these are from a different farm store. I have four epaulettes and three coral catsharks at moment. One of the epaulettes is 11 years old and is no where near 42" like the books say. She is 36" at best.

Behind the door is the filtration. Yes, that is a Bill Wann 12" skimmer. There is also a bead filter with blower assisted backwash, a 120W UV, kaldnes biofilter, and a 1800 W titanium heat exchanger for the winter. I have an automatic standby generator just in case. I am currently running the tank at 25 gpm and the skimmer at 12 gpm. The skimmer and biofilter are both vented outside, as is the tank room itself. Humidity has never been an issue.

P1050504.jpg
P1050509.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in touch with shark and reef, I actually paid for 2 Eppie eggs back in early October and am still waiting on those. Not sure I feel great about it since they take 3 months to hatch and only hatch 50% of the time with another 50% not eating... I didn't purchase either one of the pairs on DD since they were very small and I would like some in the 12-15" range. A 6" one will disappear in my tank and would be near impossible to feed or make sure one is eating. Very cool setup and thank you for sharing, love the Wann skimmer!

Holmesese

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get your Epaulette shark eggs? I was interested in getting a few eggs but have been Leary of the wait time. I emailed them about it and never got a response

graffitireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys should reach out to Dick Perrin at Tropicorium in Michigan. He was one of the first people to breed sharks in captivity from what I understand and has made many contributions to the hobby. He still has his shark tanks set up. Might find what youre looking for at a reasonable price.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back