Epoxy Resin and Reefing

This is my first time to reef2reef.


I am interested in any talks about PMMA application in the aquarium.
Sorry I can't help you. I don't know what PMMA is.

Oh and Welcome to R2R
 
This is my first time to reef2reef.


I am interested in any talks about PMMA application in the aquarium.
Welcome to Reef2Reef.

To me, PMMA means polymethylmethacrylate. "Acrylic" aquariums are made from it, and it could be used for many other things.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what you are asking.
 
I think I finally figured out my process. PETG printed hollow cylinders open on the top. Put 1-2mm resin. 30-45 min later when resin is sticky enough to attach and pull away stringy from your finger, put in ceramic magnets, then fill rest of cylinder with fresh epoxy (old stuff will be too hard) and dry overnight. Then I can take those magnets and stick them into a frag rack, held in with super glue. The magnets hold, they can be monitored for rust (idk if ceramic rusts) , and the neodymium magnets will hold strong on the wet side!

I’ve also experimented with resin encased “dry side” magnets that can be submerged to hold frag racks on the back of fake AIO walls where the back of the wall is a wet chamber. Pretty excited about these, got real into it.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3348.jpeg
    IMG_3348.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3344.mov
    14.8 MB
  • IMG_3338.jpeg
    IMG_3338.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3351.jpeg
    IMG_3351.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 97
  • 90E84D93-C742-4E12-BDB8-B63922CC7EA2.jpeg
    90E84D93-C742-4E12-BDB8-B63922CC7EA2.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 86
  • D3DA0025-80C0-495D-BC9B-3238A684FE9A.jpeg
    D3DA0025-80C0-495D-BC9B-3238A684FE9A.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 80
I think I finally figured out my process. PETG printed hollow cylinders open on the top. Put 1-2mm resin. 30-45 min later when resin is sticky enough to attach and pull away stringy from your finger, put in ceramic magnets, then fill rest of cylinder with fresh epoxy (old stuff will be too hard) and dry overnight. Then I can take those magnets and stick them into a frag rack, held in with super glue. The magnets hold, they can be monitored for rust (idk if ceramic rusts) , and the neodymium magnets will hold strong on the wet side!

I’ve also experimented with resin encased “dry side” magnets that can be submerged to hold frag racks on the back of fake AIO walls where the back of the wall is a wet chamber. Pretty excited about these, got real into it.
@D3DPrintedThingz Im im looking to use expoxy resin for some 3d printed accessories. Just checking how things are going and if the expoxy you've used have any negative effect? Also do you have the epoxy brand you used? thank you
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new