Epsom salt dosind

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still eats a little, about the same when I first got it.
Well, the advice would be - feed it multiple times per day, high fat foods like chopped mysids (skip frozen brine shrimp). Don't allow uneaten food to build up, but feed small amounts multiple times/day - these are plankton pickers and don't eat a lot of food at one time.

Jay

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the advice would be - feed it multiple times per day, high fat foods like chopped mysids (skip frozen brine shrimp). Don't allow uneaten food to build up, but feed small amounts multiple times/day - these are plankton pickers and don't eat a lot of food at one time.

Jay
So you feel if we can keep them eating they might have a chance to live a normal life

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you feel if we can keep them eating they might have a chance to live a normal life
Well, this issue does sometimes resolve on its own, but it takes time. So yes, feeding the fish as well as you can is going to be the best way to get them to live long enough to overcome the swim bladder issue.

Jay

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, will keep them eating. I'm in the middle of Httm qt and feeding general cure laced food. So should I be good to continue?

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the net result would be to reduce the stress to the fish a bit, as well as reduce the positive floatation a little. This species does not do well in full hyposalinity though (below 1.012). I would also keep the lights down around ambient levels - just enough to see the fish well.

Of course, there can be other underlying factors in play here. Is the fish eating?

Jay
Hi Jay, My little guy seems to be doing better. He learned to lean on stuff to keep him from floating up. Still needs to constantly swim to stay from floating to top. Here's a video, if you don't mind to tell me what you think.

Attachments

• 20220507_135051.mp4
    20.9 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, My little guy seems to be doing better. He learned to lean on stuff to keep him from floating up. Still needs to constantly swim to stay from floating to top. Here's a video, if you don't mind to tell me what you think.

The fish looks alert and clear eyed/skin. It is still "sculling" to remain down in the water, but these anthias often hang head down. It is kind of subjective to say if it is improving, but I think it may be.

Jay

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, I have 2 and one swims completely normal, there qt is done now I'm just observing. Going to put them in a 20 gallon tank for observing for awhile until the one I'd 100%. Putting them in an observation tank that isn't cycled, you have any tips to help keep water quality good until I put them in DT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, I have 2 and one swims completely normal, there qt is done now I'm just observing. Going to put them in a 20 gallon tank for observing for awhile until the one I'd 100%. Putting them in an observation tank that isn't cycled, you have any tips to help keep water quality good until I put them in DT.
Well, monitoring the ammonia with a good test kit is key (not API). If you see ammonia above about 0.25 ppm, you need to deal with that through water changes, or bacteria additions.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I figured, what test kit you recommend
Salifert or Seachem. Some people use the Seachem ammonia alert badges, but they are not my favorite.

Jay

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I'm going to vent her swim bladder. Is there something I could use as anesthesia to help relax her while I do this.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MS-222, but that is tough to get. You can look up clove oil as a fish anesthesia, some people have used that.
I do have to tell you, I’ve vented hundreds of fish with overinflated swim bladders over the last 40 years and be never had it result in a permanent fix. You need to use a tuberculin syringe, anything larger will damage a small fish.
Jay
Looks like I'm going to vent her swim bladder. Is there something I could use as anesthesia to help relax her while I do this.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what would you recommend to do since venting probably won't fix it
Sorry - There sometimes is no solution to this issue. If the fish is eating and maintaining body mass, I’d just keep it going and hope time heals it.
Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back