Mucus or ich on regal angel?

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id this please?
He was pooping white strings, not mucus laden though. He was constipated for about a week, then I noticed the spots on his skin
Or mucus marks? Was reading constipation can lead to ich or hexamitia parasite HLLE? Actually the readings on constipation are mixed online. I tried Epsom salt and kanaplex and started to do hypo according to humble fish but it was too late.

PXL_20231031_064045169.jpg PXL_20231031_064042989.jpg PXL_20231031_064041672.MP.jpg PXL_20231031_063833171.MP.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Id this please?
He was pooping white strings, not mucus laden though. He was constipated for about a week, then I noticed the spots on his skin
Or mucus marks? Was reading constipation can lead to ich or hexamitia parasite HLLE? Actually the readings on constipation are mixed online. I tried Epsom salt and kanaplex and started to do hypo according to humble fish but it was too late.

PXL_20231031_064045169.jpg PXL_20231031_064042989.jpg PXL_20231031_064041672.MP.jpg PXL_20231031_063833171.MP.jpg
Pics are fuzzy but possibly velvet which they are susceptible to
Will need Clearer pics under white lighting to clearly assess and offer best remedy

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately don't have any other pics. I had him in qt for about a week and a half , he had been constipated during the week but the spots happened after I transferred him to the DT, which my purple tang then gave him a warm welcome. You know how they can be to newcomers. Can ich be stress induced and come out of nowhere? Maybe the angel harbored it and it presented in DT. In qt he behaved normally.
I just finished a long fallow period with DT and cupramine all previous fish. I'd be a little surprised if it was velvet, as it was before.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately don't have any other pics. I had him in qt for about a week and a half , he had been constipated during the week but the spots happened after I transferred him to the DT, which my purple tang then gave him a warm welcome. You know how they can be to newcomers. Can ich be stress induced and come out of nowhere? Maybe the angel harbored it and it presented in DT. In qt he behaved normally.
I just finished a long fallow period with DT and cupramine all previous fish. I'd be a little surprised if it was velvet, as it was before.

That isn't velvet, it looks like advanced ich to me. I understand that the fish has died? Sorry to hear, you need to observe the remaining fish in case it was ich.

What were the symptoms that made you think constipation?

Certainly marine ich can be carried into aquariums on fish and it is brought out when a fish is stressed. What people don't understand is that fish can be stressed by simply moving them to a new tank.

I use Coppersafe in quarantine for almost all species, including regals. However, I know that product is difficult to get in Canada. The next option would be hyposalinity, as you had begun.

There is a lot of mixed information in your post - some of your sources may not be really accurate. Epsom salts are useless if added to marine aquarium water, as Magnesium sulfate is already the fourth most common salt in our mixes. It can be added to food at a rate of 1% by weight, and it does work as a tonic in freshwater aquariums. Constipation can make Hexamita worse, but has no direct relationship to ich. HLLE in freshwater fish is not the same as in marine fish - Hexamita is a cause for those fish, but not in marine fish.

Jay

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't velvet, it looks like advanced ich to me. I understand that the fish has died? Sorry to hear, you need to observe the remaining fish in case it was ich.

What were the symptoms that made you think constipation?

Certainly marine ich can be carried into aquariums on fish and it is brought out when a fish is stressed. What people don't understand is that fish can be stressed by simply moving them to a new tank.

I use Coppersafe in quarantine for almost all species, including regals. However, I know that product is difficult to get in Canada. The next option would be hyposalinity, as you had begun.

There is a lot of mixed information in your post - some of your sources may not be really accurate. Epsom salts are useless if added to marine aquarium water, as Magnesium sulfate is already the fourth most common salt in our mixes. It can be added to food at a rate of 1% by weight, and it does work as a tonic in freshwater aquariums. Constipation can make Hexamita worse, but has no direct relationship to ich. HLLE in freshwater fish is not the same as in marine fish - Hexamita is a cause for those fish, but not in marine fish.

Jay
Yes the regal isn't with me any longer. I just have my fingers crossed it wasn't velvet, terrible past experience. I believe it was constipated in qt when it popped a small white string. At the time I shrugged it off cause it was only two or three days in qt at the time. I though regular mixed feedings of frozen and Nori on a clip would help and it'll get better. In the DT I saw him poop for the second time and it was a body length long white string, not mucusy. Almost like a long piece of white tape. At this time I panic a little cause the purp tang was acting intimidating. Then the next night I noticed all the spots under blue moonlight and he was more or less pacing from end to end.

Yes my only option is cupramine in canada, and since most of my tank is fairy wrasse, angels or anthias I've read it's not best to find another way. Would hypo at 1.01 for 30 days qt be viable, along with prazi. Also I want to mention I did a prazi round for the regal while in qt.

Thanks for explaining the magnesium. Humble fish says kanaplex can be used to induce diarrhea too. Is this a suitable option for constipation?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the regal isn't with me any longer. I just have my fingers crossed it wasn't velvet, terrible past experience. I believe it was constipated in qt when it popped a small white string. At the time I shrugged it off cause it was only two or three days in qt at the time. I though regular mixed feedings of frozen and Nori on a clip would help and it'll get better. In the DT I saw him poop for the second time and it was a body length long white string, not mucusy. Almost like a long piece of white tape. At this time I panic a little cause the purp tang was acting intimidating. Then the next night I noticed all the spots under blue moonlight and he was more or less pacing from end to end.

Yes my only option is cupramine in canada, and since most of my tank is fairy wrasse, angels or anthias I've read it's not best to find another way. Would hypo at 1.01 for 30 days qt be viable, along with prazi. Also I want to mention I did a prazi round for the regal while in qt.

Thanks for explaining the magnesium. Humble fish says kanaplex can be used to induce diarrhea too. Is this a suitable option for constipation?

Oral kanaplex should be avoided unless you dose it accurately, it can be toxic. Dosing oral meds is not easy:

Hyposalinity is typically run at an accurate specific gravity of 1.009:

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back