Equipment Recommended fkr 75g Setup

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I’m sure you get this all the time, but I’m starting a new tank and need help with what equipment will go in it. I’m looking for suggestions on lighting, pumps, and what the heck to put into my sump/skimmer (I’ve never had either before).

I'd prefer for suggestions on lighting to be LED, not be hung up from the ceiling, have wi-fi and come with a timer already. I was considering a Kessil? But idk which ones or how many I’d need. I was also considering an AI Prime HD, but have the same concerns. If you all have any suggestions on good black boxes that don’t need to be hung, I would consider those too (even without a timer/WiFi).

Thanks in advance!

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run kessils they're great! you need a controller to have them on a timer/schedule. As for pumps i run Jeabos on all my systems (youll hear mixed reviews but i dont care mine have never given me an issue). As for what to put in your sump..... I run socks ---> Skimmer--->Refug--->MarinePure of some kind---> then return pump with heaters and ATO stuff.

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run kessils they're great! you need a controller to have them on a timer/schedule. As for pumps i run Jeabos on all my systems (youll hear mixed reviews but i dont care mine have never given me an issue). As for what to put in your sump..... I run socks ---> Skimmer--->Refug--->MarinePure of some kind---> then return pump with heaters and ATO stuff.

Thank you! How many Kessils should I get for a 75? And how which ones do I get? As there’s a few different options.

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some softies, some LPS and MAYBE one anemone.

Maybe because I don’t want to have to dose my tank with anything. The more simple, the better.

I’m only considering one because I would like some clowns, but I don’t want them harassing my other fish and getting territorial. An anemone for them to host in a small, empty, corner of the tank should keep them away from the other fish - if I’m not mistaken.

Most likely though, the tank will consist of softies and LPS such as hammers && frogspawn.

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g and I run 2 radion xr30w, mounted to the tank. They have worked great for my softies, LPS, and SPS. I also have 2 clowns, and sailfin tang, bluethroat trigger, watchman goby, and a blue devil damsel.
IMG_0882.jpg

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem will go where ever it wants to lol and IF the clowns host it theyll amost never leave it haha. so it really comes to money. if you want to save some, look around here for 3 A360s

pancholt1z28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently set up a budget 75 gallon tank and went with 2 Oceanrevive t247 light fixture. They are inexpensive and have mounting legs so they sit on top of the tank. My tank has a center brace so mounting on top of the tank was easy. I went with a cheap Rio 2100 return pump. For flow I am using an old school modded maxijet.

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently set up a budget 75 gallon tank and went with 2 Oceanrevive t247 light fixture. They are inexpensive and have mounting legs so they sit on top of the tank. My tank has a center brace so mounting on top of the tank was easy. I went with a cheap Rio 2100 return pump. For flow I am using an old school modded maxijet.

you had me at “budget” ;Drool;Hilarious

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g and I run 2 radion xr30w, mounted to the tank. They have worked great for my softies, LPS, and SPS. I also have 2 clowns, and sailfin tang, bluethroat trigger, watchman goby, and a blue devil damsel.
IMG_0882.jpg

Thank you and thanks for the stock list! I was asking questions about it in another thread :)

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been looking around and I guess I’ll just go with the black box lights. Don’t judge, but I honestly don’t mind the look ;Hilarious:oops:

If I wanted to grow softies/some LPS and spend about $300 total - which black box lights would be best (preferable those sold on Amazon)? How many would I need of that brand?

I intend to buy a little hanger to hang them off of so they don’t have to go right on top of my tank :)

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank with an HOB overflow. Here is all I have on it. Maxspect Razor X light from BRS- have been very happy with it. I have a 20 gallon long as my sump, two heaters in it, a plastic weave basket for my chaeto, a Philips LED plant bulb that keeps the chaeto growing like crazy, a Reef Octopus 150 INT skimmer, a Varios 4 return pump, Tunze ATO with a 10 gallon tank with lid as my ATO reservoir. My heaters are controled by an Inkbird temp controller. I have mustly sofies, mushrooms and a few LPS. No fancy doser, controllers, or testers since my corals are easy to keep.

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank with an HOB overflow. Here is all I have on it. Maxspect Razor X light from BRS- have been very happy with it. I have a 20 gallon long as my sump, two heaters in it, a plastic weave basket for my chaeto, a Philips LED plant bulb that keeps the chaeto growing like crazy, a Reef Octopus 150 INT skimmer, a Varios 4 return pump, Tunze ATO with a 10 gallon tank with lid as my ATO reservoir. My heaters are controled by an Inkbird temp controller. I have mustly sofies, mushrooms and a few LPS. No fancy doser, controllers, or testers since my corals are easy to keep.

Thank you! That’s all super helpful. I’ll have to look into the different kinds of equipment available for 75 gallons! :)

I was looking at buying two of these:

VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control Dimmable 165W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum for Grow Coral Reef Marine Fish Tank LPS/SPS

Or just one of these:
VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control Dimmable 300W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum for Grow Coral Reef Marine Fish Tank LPS/SPS

Thoughts?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back