equipment transfer into sterile tank

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I mixed a brute trash can of saltwater with a power head from my tank thats 36 out of 42 days fallow (was a 2 am tank maintenance brain fart) luckily I did not use the salt water at all and it’s still all in the can. Can I use the salt in 6 days when the display tank is 42 days fallow or does it need to sit for another 42 days now?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I mixed a brute trash can of saltwater with a power head from my tank thats 36 out of 42 days fallow (was a 2 am tank maintenance brain fart) luckily I did not use the salt water at all and it’s still all in the can. Can I use the salt in 6 days when the display tank is 42 days fallow or does it need to sit for another 42 days now?
Im confused on what you are saying.
Were fish in this water when they had condition or is this newly mixed water you want to use that is mixed 36 days ago ?
If this is water you mixed 36 days ago and was not used. . . . if it has been circulated, yes you can use it- Just test to assure temp matches tank- salinity and ph matches tank and by all means use it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im confused on what you are saying.
Were fish in this water when they had condition or is this newly mixed water you want to use that is mixed 36 days ago ?
If this is water you mixed 36 days ago and was not used. . . . if it has been circulated, yes you can use ot- Just test to assure temp matches tank- salinity and ph matches tank and by all means use it
Sorry for explaining poorly, I ran ro water yesterday it got done around 2 am and in my sleepy ness I added the salt mix and grabbed a power head from my fallow display tank to mix the salt crystals with the water not thinking about possible contamination. The tank it came out of has 6 days left before it’s done with the fallow period of 42 days (velvet) so my question was should I just wait 6 days since no fish were in contact with either of these water sources or should I just dump it out and mix more (expensive haha)

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sorry for explaining poorly, I ran ro water yesterday it got done around 2 am and in my sleepy ness I added the salt mix and grabbed a power head from my fallow display tank to mix the salt crystals with the water not thinking about possible contamination. The tank it came out of has 6 days left before it’s done with the fallow period of 42 days (velvet) so my question was should I just wait 6 days since no fish were in contact with either of these water sources or should I just dump it out and mix more (expensive haha)
Got it. test for ammonia and if you see no Precipitation or brown slimy substance- should be safe. Again test ammonia-ph-salinty before use. I deem it safe as I use a holding tank for saltwater which sits for weeks before I add water and salt for future use.

1680478975622.png

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about the pump contaminating the new water, if that's what you mean.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. test for ammonia and if you see no Precipitation or brown slimy substance- should be safe. Again test ammonia-ph-salinty before use. I deem it safe as I use a holding tank for saltwater which sits for weeks before I add water and salt for future use.

1680478975622.png
I wouldn't worry about the pump contaminating the new water, if that's what you mean.
Yeah I’m worried about the pump transferring the protazoa to the new salt. Honestly I think it was velvet but even everyone on here could not tell what it was. I’m just gonna wait the 6 days before I use it just needed a water change on my fish only but that can wait 6 days just to play it safe.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeah I’m worried about the pump transferring the protazoa to the new salt. Honestly I think it was velvet but even everyone on here could not tell what it was. I’m just gonna wait the 6 days before I use it just needed a water change on my fish only but that can wait 6 days just to play it safe.
Run freshwater through the pump and apply back. The water has been sitting without a host and likelihood extremely low

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Run freshwater through the pump and apply back. The water has been sitting without a host and likelihood extremely low
I think he was saying - the pump he used was from a non-fallow tank. He was wondering - if that was ok - IMHO - the risk is extremely low. However - if you want to be 'pure' the new batch of saltwater should be tossed, the plastic cleaned - and restarted. Vettguy is absolutely correct - had you cleaned the pump first - there would be no issue. HOWEVER having said all that - The punps extremely unlikely to cause a problem - I would use the water - and think things through next time:). Best wishes

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With an unknown pathogen, it is always best to wait 60 days (and that can include moving anything "wet" from one tank to another.

Personally, I'd just dump the water.

Jay

Upvote 0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back