Eradicate cryptocaryon

parisspan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is cryptocaryon in my marine FOWLR tank and I am just curious if I could save my tank's biology and simultaneously eradicate the disease if I turn it gradually to freshwater and then back to marine, after I transfer the fish to another tank and treat them there. Unfortunately I fall onto a resistant strain of crypto which didn't vanish utilizing the hypo method. Has anyone tried it? Will my filter bacteria survive after I turn it back to marine? Will crypto die? After how long in freshwater? The same goes for other diseases ,like uronema, which seems that I got this too along with the crypto. What about velvet and brooklynella, worms, flukes?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

This seems like a good question for @Jay Hemdal to me. I imagine at least some of the bacteria strains will survive the transition to fresh and back, but it might do some strange things to the microbiome.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
Going full freshwater would kill almost everything in the tank.
To properly do hypo, you bring salinity down to 1.009 and hold for 30 days after symptoms disappear.
If you are willing to go to the trouble of catching all the fish, you might as well do a copper treatment in qt. Leaving the tank fallow for 60 days will be enough to starve out any disease in the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is cryptocaryon in my marine FOWLR tank and I am just curious if I could save my tank's biology and simultaneously eradicate the disease if I turn it gradually to freshwater and then back to marine, after I transfer the fish to another tank and treat them there. Unfortunately I fall onto a resistant strain of crypto which didn't vanish utilizing the hypo method. Has anyone tried it? Will my filter bacteria survive after I turn it back to marine? Will crypto die? After how long in freshwater? The same goes for other diseases ,like uronema, which seems that I got this too along with the crypto. What about velvet and brooklynella, worms, flukes?

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Hyposalinity at a specific gravity of 1.009 (about 12 ppt) for 30 days will eliminate all known strains of Cryptocaryon. At 1.012 and higher, or for shorter time, some strains can survive.

The nitrifying bacteria will mostly survive at 1.009 and can also survive full freshwater for some time (perhaps an hour or so) but I don't know if longer exposure to freshwater ill kill the bacteria or not.

Uronema thrives in brackish water, I do not know its lower lethal limit for salt.

Brooklynella, worms and flukes will all die at low salinity. Velvet (Amyloodinium) can survive at 4 ppt or 1.003

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back