Erin O's 75G Build

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I think I've convinced myself to convert my 75g into SW instead of my 29g (@sfin52, I believe that you predicted that this might happen in my meet & greet post lol). There are just so many fish out there that I want to get but aren't suitable for a 29g lol. I'm not going to be able to drill it because its tempered glass, so no sump. I'll have the Tidal 110 on it with a couple of power heads. Dry/live rock, live sand. This will be a FOWLR for quite a while, at least until the tank matures and I feel comfortable enough to try a reef. My current stocking plan is (this is the plan for the 29g, I'm just going to add to it) :
2 ocellaris clowns
? banggaii cardinals (I'm not sure how many I can have in this size of tank)
1 Yasha goby/ pistol shrimp pair
1 royal gramma
hermit crabs, cleaner shrimp, an urchin (if you have other suggestions to add to this group, I'd love to hear them)

These are the fish I'm looking at to possibly add to my stocking list:
1 flame angel (I know that this fish could be a problem if/when I start adding corals)
1 simple damselfish (will the fact that this is a 75g cut down on the aggression?)
1 fairy wrasse (either a lubbock's, whip fin, or ruby longfin)

I'm open to other suggestions. Can I get away with another bottom dweller or should I just stick to the 1 yasha/shrimp pair?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and congrats on the upgrade!!

All 3 of those fish you asked about will be fine in a 75g with the others.

Damsels are a crap shoot as any of them can/will turn aggresive at any point, especially during maturity.

You can put a few banggaii they establish a pecking order so if you put 5 in...you might end up with 4 or 3 but they will adjust.

You have plenty of room to add another ground cleaner/goby. There is a lot of room in a 75g 4' long. Some even put TANGS in them:O

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I think I've convinced myself to convert my 75g into SW instead of my 29g (@sfin52, I believe that you predicted that this might happen in my meet & greet post lol). There are just so many fish out there that I want to get but aren't suitable for a 29g lol. I'm not going to be able to drill it because its tempered glass, so no sump. I'll have the Tidal 110 on it with a couple of power heads. Dry/live rock, live sand. This will be a FOWLR for quite a while, at least until the tank matures and I feel comfortable enough to try a reef. My current stocking plan is (this is the plan for the 29g, I'm just going to add to it) :
2 ocellaris clowns
? banggaii cardinals (I'm not sure how many I can have in this size of tank)
1 Yasha goby/ pistol shrimp pair
1 royal gramma
hermit crabs, cleaner shrimp, an urchin (if you have other suggestions to add to this group, I'd love to hear them)

These are the fish I'm looking at to possibly add to my stocking list:
1 flame angel (I know that this fish could be a problem if/when I start adding corals)
1 simple damselfish (will the fact that this is a 75g cut down on the aggression?)
1 fairy wrasse (either a lubbock's, whip fin, or ruby longfin)

I'm open to other suggestions. Can I get away with another bottom dweller or should I just stick to the 1 yasha/shrimp pair?
Lol welcome to the dark side. You are in good company. My wife made me set up the 75 as a reef instead of my smaller tank.
You could look at some wrasses instead of the damsels.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Damsels are a crap shoot as any of them can/will turn aggresive at any point, especially during maturity.

You can put a few banggaii they establish a pecking order so if you put 5 in...you might end up with 4 or 3 but they will adjust.

You have plenty of room to add another ground cleaner/goby. There is a lot of room in a 75g 4' long. Some even put TANGS in them:O
Tomi tang would be good.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been looking at the simple damsel because I want some blue in my tank and it seems like damsels are the only fish that have the blue that I'm looking for lol. Can you suggest any other bold blue fish?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been looking at the simple damsel because I want some blue in my tank and it seems like damsels are the only fish that have the blue that I'm looking for lol. Can you suggest any other bold blue fish?
I think a damsel will be fine in your tank. I have a blue saphire in a 32g and it's been a model citizen :)

My son then wanted domino damsels when we were setting up our 75g a few months ago....and the damsels are now in a 20g going back to LFS.

As a single occupant I think you will be fine. The 4 in my 75g literally bossed the tank around and no one got food as the are the PIRANHAS of reef tanks!!

I say get 1 and love the bright BLUE!

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree once by itself may limit the aggression

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a cucumber to your list. And a serpent star. These are mandatory in all of my tanks (with sand). The urchin will eat your coralline and might knock stuff over so be ready for that. I think the tuxedo urchin is the one that carries stuff around. Mine had a live hermit stuck to it once. Hilarious.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a little. What type do you use
Ended up using fluvals...learned a lot on the 32g over the last 3 years with the canister route. I run it really simple with only bio media in them. Clean weekly with ro water which could probably do once a month....

If I have an issue I drop in carbon or what not as needed and then remove it once done. I added a protien skimmer just for giggles and it seems to help export nasties a bit better for my situation. I also have manderins so I have a HOB filter filled with just cheato for pod reproduction placed on the other side of the tank away from protien skimmer...I do find the pods in my fluvals containers during water changes every week so I dont know if the HOB refuge/pod house is super redundant or not lol.

307 on 32g cube

FX6 on the 75g.

I was going for the FX4 but they were out of stock where I live so I grabbed the FX6. I wont be able to have some things in one corner due to the return flow being pretty strong and the 12hr air release freaks stuff out. But I knew the flow rate on these are cut in half after filled with media so I figured it would work haha

I looked at your build and really like your tank!!

I will have to get a build thread going and be a real part of the site ;)

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up using fluvals...learned a lot on the 32g over the last 3 years with the canister route. I run it really simple with only bio media in them. Clean weekly with ro water which could probably do once a month....

If I have an issue I drop in carbon or what not as needed and then remove it once done. I added a protien skimmer just for giggles and it seems to help export nasties a bit better for my situation. I also have manderins so I have a HOB filter filled with just cheato for pod reproduction placed on the other side of the tank away from protien skimmer...I do find the pods in my fluvals containers during water changes every week so I dont know if the HOB refuge/pod house is super redundant or not lol.

307 on 32g cube

FX6 on the 75g.

I was going for the FX4 but they were out of stock where I live so I grabbed the FX6. I wont be able to have some things in one corner due to the return flow being pretty strong and the 12hr air release freaks stuff out. But I knew the flow rate on these are cut in half after filled with media so I figured it would work haha

I looked at your build and really like your tank!!

I will have to get a build thread going and be a real part of the site ;)
I run the fx4. It has very strong flow. So just tried small power heads along the back wall to help clean out the back and eliminate the dead zones.
Thanks.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erin O have you thought about starting a build thread
I'm going to, but I was planning to wait until I get it cleaned up and ready to set up. It still has freshwater fish in it right now.
it's ok to use a canister filter.... ;)
Agree I use a canister
I have a SunSun 404b on the 75g as well as the Tidal 110, right now. Should I use it, as well, when I make the switch to saltwater? Should I use the canister instead of the Tidal?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back