View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erin O for you to get your build thread badge
Copy you build thread address
click on you icon
click on around details
scroll all the way to the bottom you'll see r2r build thread paste you build thread
Boom you have a shiny new badge. Also clicking on any build thread badge will take you to their build thread.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erin O for you to get your build thread badge
Copy you build thread address
click on you icon
click on around details
scroll all the way to the bottom you'll see r2r build thread paste you build thread
Boom you have a shiny new badge. Also clicking on any build thread badge will take you to their build thread.
Check it out! I'm O-fficial! Thanks :)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20200106_140019_01.gif

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other good sources for live rock (I have not used)

I was lucky my LFS imports real Pacific Ocean live rock. As mentioned, there are several LFS that sell live rock that is mostly just dry rock soaking in a vat. This rock is cycled and will give you a cycled tank, but carries near zero of that wonderful ocean diversity. There is nothing that will give your tank the biodiversity of real ocean live rock. Since your rock is your main filter and the backbone of the system, I would recommend anyone get the highest quality live rock they could afford.

What is this diversity I speak of? Diversity of bacteria and microbiology is the strongest component. This determines the strength of your biological filter. The diversity of life in live rock will help you cover many niches in your system from tiny critters forming your clean up crew to macroalgae that absorb nutrients and feed your livestock.

While you may get some undesirable creatures, all are manageable and removable. I recommend curing any rock outside of the tank to let it mature and also, to look for and easily remove the unwanted hitchhikers. Good luck and remember all of us have been there and are here to help. Even those of us doing this forever forget not to panic sometimes.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other good sources for live rock (I have not used)

I was lucky my LFS imports real Pacific Ocean live rock. As mentioned, there are several LFS that sell live rock that is mostly just dry rock soaking in a vat. This rock is cycled and will give you a cycled tank, but carries near zero of that wonderful ocean diversity. There is nothing that will give your tank the biodiversity of real ocean live rock. Since your rock is your main filter and the backbone of the system, I would recommend anyone get the highest quality live rock they could afford.

What is this diversity I speak of? Diversity of bacteria and microbiology is the strongest component. This determines the strength of your biological filter. The diversity of life in live rock will help you cover many niches in your system from tiny critters forming your clean up crew to macroalgae that absorb nutrients and feed your livestock.

While you may get some undesirable creatures, all are manageable and removable. I recommend curing any rock outside of the tank to let it mature and also, to look for and easily remove the unwanted hitchhikers. Good luck and remember all of us have been there and are here to help. Even those of us doing this forever forget not to panic sometimes.
If I were to use, say, 50lbs of dry rock and 15lbs of live rock, would I get enough of that diversity (these numbers are just to make it easier for me to understand; I'll plan to have 100lb or more, total, of rock)?

Also, and I know that it all comes down to personal preference, should my rock be all along the tank, in the middle? Or should I have it all to one side so there's plenty of open area to swim? Maybe on either side, with the middle open? I kind of like the idea of the rock being on either side with the middle open, because that might help delineate territories. But I may be wrong about that lol

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to use, say, 50lbs of dry rock and 15lbs of live rock, would I get enough of that diversity (these numbers are just to make it easier for me to understand; I'll plan to have 100lb or more, total, of rock)?

Also, and I know that it all comes down to personal preference, should my rock be all along the tank, in the middle? Or should I have it all to one side so there's plenty of open area to swim? Maybe on either side, with the middle open? I kind of like the idea of the rock being on either side with the middle open, because that might help delineate territories. But I may be wrong about that lol
I've got 80lb in my 75. That's a lot of rock. I would recommend starting @60 and see if you need more

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 80lb in my 75. That's a lot of rock. I would recommend starting @60 and see if you need more
Sounds good to me! Less money that way lol. I was going off the idea that more rock means better biological filtration. What do you think about placing it on the ends of the tank and leaving the middle open?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good to me! Less money that way lol. I was going off the idea that more rock means better biological filtration. What do you think about placing it on the ends of the tank and leaving the middle open?
There a two main type of scapes. A wall and islands. My reef is a wall and my fowlr is islands. I really like islands but I like a wall to.
I find Islands are easier to clean and work around.
You can see the difference. dont look to.hard at cyano and hair algae.
2019-11-17_20.20.38.jpg

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing :) I like the look of a little more open space. I think I'll plan on islands. At least until the next time I change my mind lol.

So, my daughter would like me to ask if a flame angel and a coral beauty could go in "our" :)rolleyes:) tank together. Interesting how the 6 year old suddenly wants to claim the tank when she sees fish that she thinks are"pretty" LOL

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing :) I like the look of a little more open space. I think I'll plan on islands. At least until the next time I change my mind lol.

So, my daughter would like me to ask if a flame angel and a coral beauty could go in "our" :)rolleyes:) tank together. Interesting how the 6 year old suddenly wants to claim the tank when she sees fish that she thinks are"pretty" LOL
This will be a good project that will help you guys bond. @Katrina71 and her son reef together.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200108_065752.jpg

Its water change day, so it doesn't look the greatest, and it's a little low on water, but here's what my 75g looks like right now. All of the sand, decor and fish will be moving to the 125g. There are 2 angels, 4 cherry barbs (the last of a school of 20), 2 serpae tetras (the last of a school of 15), 15 kuhli loaches and 2 BN plecos. I have 2 angels, 1 red tail shark and 1 BN pleco in the 125g (think it's overstocked? ;Hilarious ), so once I get the fish from the 75 in there it's going to look almost crowded lol.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights. Why do they have to be so difficult and so darn expensive? Would plant grow lights work? I was looking on Amazon and typed in "T5 lights" thinking that would get me to the right lights but they were mostly for growing house plants. Would LED lights work as well as fluorescents?

Also, are anemones harder to keep than softies? It's my understanding that they are not the same thing, correct?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights. Why do they have to be so difficult and so darn expensive? Would plant grow lights work? I was looking on Amazon and typed in "T5 lights" thinking that would get me to the right lights but they were mostly for growing house plants. Would LED lights work as well as fluorescents?

Also, are anemones harder to keep than softies? It's my understanding that they are not the same thing, correct?
Correct yes lights are expensive. But there are alternatives.
you'll need two
2 168 watt for a 75

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back