Erk's CNC router build

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I'm in the CNC cutting tool world, if you ever need advice on feeds/speeds/hp requirements for cutting different materials. ;)

Chrishvacman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last software i was involved with was autocad 10 which we then used a post processor like hot metal pro to shoot it to the machines it was a long time ago. You mentioned images so you just take an image and it uses that as a template?

OP
OP
erk

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last software i was involved with was autocad 10 which we then used a post processor like hot metal pro to shoot it to the machines it was a long time ago. You mentioned images so you just take an image and it uses that as a template?

Not sure about the images comment. I may have mentioned something about the LinuxCNC image, but I ended up not going with LinuxCNC. What I've decided to use to slice up the models is Fusion 360. Its CAM software is very nice. I do my modelling in Creo 3 or Solidworks and then export the STL, STEP, or IGES to Fusion and go thru the steps to turn it into G-code. I plan to build some stuff this weekend. Primarily focused on improving the machine, so vacuum hose holder for the router and some brackets to hold limit switches.

Chrishvacman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the images comment. I may have mentioned something about the LinuxCNC image, but I ended up not going with LinuxCNC. What I've decided to use to slice up the models is Fusion 360. Its CAM software is very nice. I do my modelling in Creo 3 or Solidworks and then export the STL, STEP, or IGES to Fusion and go thru the steps to turn it into G-code. I plan to build some stuff this weekend. Primarily focused on improving the machine, so vacuum hose holder for the router and some brackets to hold limit switches.
Thats really neat! I hope all gpes well with your build!

OP
OP
erk

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried to do some machining with the CNC router almost every weekend. I had an issue with thermal shutdown of the drivers. It was because I used a fan that couldn't move much air. I replaced it with a fan that moves 15.8cfm and the thermal shutdown is gone. Now I'm dealing with what I think is static buildup due to the dust collection. Going to ground the vacuum and frame, and see if that fixes the issues I've been seeing. I think I'm also going to install the portable AC unit in the garage to try to cool things down. Texas heat is pretty brutal already.

OP
OP
erk

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grounded the entire chassis, router case, and vacuum hose. Hopefully this solves my problems with static buildup.

I had an issue with the Z axis motor not having enough holding force to keep the router in place when running over ~15k rpm. I replaced the Nema 17 motor with a Nema 23 179 in-oz motor. No more movement even at the max 30k rpm. Almost to the point where I can just focus on building my ideas rather than fix CNC issues. Just wish it wasn't so dang hot.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any updates to this?

Also, if you eliminate the parts that got burned up or upgraded, what would the total build cost be?

Thanks!

OP
OP
erk

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parts that burned up I just replaced with the exact same type. I think that adds another 5-10 bucks to the total. The new stepper for the Z axis cost about $15. Otherwise everything is still the same.

After the grounding of the system, things are running well. I did have to change to UGS as the old software wasn't able to handle large g-code files. I recently purchased a Creality 3D Ender 3 printer and have been printing parts for the CNC. Due to work and school, I haven't had time to cut any material, though I have plenty of things I want to make. Just need a break so I can actually model parts then run them thru Fusion 360. That is what takes the longest time. Putting your ideas into CAD and making sure it can be machined. It is a bit easier on a 3D printer, especially when the printer is inside the house. Just wish I had an environmentally controlled shop so I could enjoy being in it.

Edit: Forgot to say what the total cost would come to. If you count in the cost of Fusion 360 and a PC to control the machine, I'd say it comes to about $1200. I spent about $800 since I have a PC already and I get Fusion 360 free since I'm in grad school. Fusion 360 is $300 per year. You don't need an expensive PC to control the CNC. A second hand PC off CL with work perfectly.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I appreciate the update.

I have so many computers it's nuts. LoL. I get 360 and solid works free from work.

So $800 will be spent after the wedding. I have wanted a CNC for years.

OP
OP
erk

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I appreciate the update.

I have so many computers it's nuts. LoL. I get 360 and solid works free from work.

So $800 will be spent after the wedding. I have wanted a CNC for years.

Try to time it with a sale. Open Builds sells all the framing and such for a pretty good price already, but if you wait till the winter sale, you can get it all for very cheap. You can also buy the motors from them, but I recommend Alibaba. Far cheaper. And for the GRBL controller, I purchased Arduinos and the 4 axis controller from Alibaba as well. Highly recommend using original Polulu stepper drivers vs the Chinese ones. Just better built and documented.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to time it with a sale. Open Builds sells all the framing and such for a pretty good price already, but if you wait till the winter sale, you can get it all for very cheap. You can also buy the motors from them, but I recommend Alibaba. Far cheaper. And for the GRBL controller, I purchased Arduinos and the 4 axis controller from Alibaba as well. Highly recommend using original Polulu stepper drivers vs the Chinese ones. Just better built and documented.
Appreciate the help.

I was also already planning on getting and ender 3.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
erk

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Created and account and downloaded the builder.

I think I will order a few parts at a time and, in a few months have everything I need.

Part of the fun will be sourcing parts at the best prices.

Thanks again @erk

OP
OP
erk

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Created and account and downloaded the builder.

I think I will order a few parts at a time and, in a few months have everything I need.

Part of the fun will be sourcing parts at the best prices.

Thanks again @erk

Yeah, finding that deal was a very enjoyable part of building the CNC router. Building it is also pretty fun, but tiring.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would love to see some of the fruits of this labor. i love this. i know what a cnc, know the basics of how it works and my knowledge stops there. wish i knew more

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back