OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hipower,
How do you like the adv. style?? I almost went for that model, but felt I would rather have the pump in the rear chamber instead of the filter sock. Can you still check on the filter sock ok? Looks great man!

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float valve that comes with it is gravity fed. As long as you have pressure behind the float valve you are fine.

helldiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty I am thinking about the nano sump for my 24x18x18 frag tank I built out of left over glass I had it has a 1in drain I think it would be perfect for that running miracle mud and IM desktop reactor,ecobak plus pellets dc3000 return pump and that ceramic pours rock BRS is pushing with cobalt heater no skimmer

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Just curious as to how your sumps are doing. Still loving mine! I just had to finally add my Cobalt heaters. Cooling down in Southern California and drying out after the hot humid winter. Now if we can just get some good rain and snow!
The sump has certainly lived up to my expectations and then some. I am still running the Octopus 110 classic and love it. Great skimmer for this sump as its laid out perfectly. My pump sits right where the water enters into the skimmer chamber and exits where the water leaves and returns to the main pump.
I added two Cobalt Neo-Therm 100 waters to the tank. These heaters are BEASTS!!!! Never had heaters that where so accurate and put out so much heat! WOW! I could have probably ran one 100 watter and it would have sufficed.
I am still growing my SPS corals nicely under the Reef Breeders leds. Its been almost 20 months I think. Everything is growing really well....

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flow is fine. You cannot have water flowing through the refugium too fast. It defeats the purpose! If your getting a ton of algae, your water chemistry is off. Check nitrates, phosphates, food input, import/export of nutrients etc.......

hipower

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flow is fine. You cannot have water flowing through the refugium too fast. It defeats the purpose! If your getting a ton of algae, your water chemistry is off. Check nitrates, phosphates, food input, import/export of nutrients etc.......

Mine has algae growing in it but that is the only place in the system it is growing...

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hipower,
I think that's a good thing. That's what it's there for I thought. You would much rather have it growing there then invading and choking out the main system where all your prized corals are.
However, I run a pretty powerful led over mine and all I get is micro algae. Same as in my main tank. But I do have a established system. I have noted bubble algae in my overflow box and have left it there. Also, my Tunze wavebox as well. Even though my nitrates read zero, if I cut back on feeding my fish, micro algae slows considerably throughout the tank. But I like having fish with my SPS. I have 5 fish, and they are fed about 3 times a day almost everyday.
There has to be a balance to each system, or a balance YOU the aquarist must find or reach for your particular system. Just because you get a new piece of equipment does not mean its going to all be good. And a newly established system will have you pulling your hair out of your head chasing it and trying to fine tune it. I would say a established system could be anywhere from 12-24 months. Maybe sooner if your transplanting from another tank.
It takes me time to see whats going on in any tank..........

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the new Tunze Comline nano wavebox w/ 7092 controller. All I can say is WOW! Much nicer then my old original unit. It's still breaking in, but this morning the wave seems to be getting a little larger. I think as the box gets a slime coat on it the wave may get a bit larger!

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this sump since June and I do love it. It took me a while to get everything setup the way I liked it. Originally I have the water level pretty high (probably 5-10gl more in than I'm running now in total water volume) and now I've slowed the return pump down a bitand lowered the water level because I was just asking for an overflow running the water higher.

For the heater question, Im running two in the skimmer compartment. Refugium section is full of cheato and one mangrove. I have miracle mud on the bottom and even though a lot of people have knocked it I don't see a reason to change it at the moment.

I've gone back and forth on running a filter sock and ended up running them just because the splash in that compartment seems to be louder when I don't.

I shop vac out the bottom probably every other month and things seem to be nice and tidy.

Hellsinki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 month update, all is well with the sump after they sent a replacement lid to me.
aeb09432a42699c0e8fbb29454034c2e.jpg

588f149c4cbd9a6d0d1b2f5657dcd7e5.jpg

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Sorry its been so long since I last posted. I have been working my tail off and saving money. By the way.............GO DONALD TRUMP!!!!!!!! LOL!!!
My tank is doing well with the new sump. Tank is almost 2.5 years old and all my SPS that where small frags are turning into large colonies now. All have colored up nicely under my inexpensive Reefbreeders light. Love the light still!!
I recently purchased a AI Prime for the back right corner, as my PAR was under 100 there and I Wanted to utilize that space for more SPS. The prime is up and running in acclimation mode for 2 weeks now. I love it!!! What a little powerhouse of a light. So simple to program its complicated at first.....lol. And.......................MADE IN USA!!! Now I need one for the left rear corner. I will order it as soon as they get more in stock.
Now for the sump: Excellent! I still love it. I recently purchased a few 300 micron nylon bags to try, and the first one has been in for just over a day. So far, I may use them exclusively and trash the standard socks. I ramped up my flow through my sump so I was only getting three days out of the factory socks and then had to swap it out for another. As I stated before, if your running just a tank for a sump you are certainly missing out! This sump give you much more control over whats happening as far as filtration goes.
I can say it was MONEY WELL SPENT. They did their homework on this sump!
Tunze wavebox: I am now running 2 side by side. I love the Tunze wavebox and they provide such a random flow the corals love it. My wave pushes 1.5 inches in the tank and I can honestly say it has contributed greatly to my SPS corals growth. I am getting nice thick branches on my stags which is what I like. I will post some pics this weekend!
Hellsinki: Nice looking set up! Looks great!

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Well the 200 micron nylon filter bags are a big success. WOW!!!! Water level did not budge in the intake area of the sump after 4 days of use!!! I am sold. I took it out to rinse it in the sink and it was quick and came out spotless!!! Very nice! I will be using these from now on. No more polyester/dacron/whatever those filter socks are made of. Yes, they may filter slightly better, but the 200 micron is no slouch by any means. Picked them up off ebay. Two for 7 and change is not too shabby!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back