OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so its been what..................................6 weeks now???? Yes, I am still loving this new sump. It certainly gives me more control over my system and the way it runs. I love the refugium, though I have not done much with it. It does have love rock in it, which certainly adds to the filtration of the system. It also has copepods motoring around on the rock everywhere!
ONE BIG SUPRISE, is the cut down of evaporation it has made. This may not be good for some people, but hey, I love it! The sump stays fairly clean so far, and I purchased 2 extra filter socks up front. Swapping them our is easy enough. I rinse them thoroughly and then they go in the washing machine and come out spiffy clean with Tide...................LOL. Then I rinse the scent out in RO DI water and I am in business.
My Waveline 6000 pump is working great on this set up. No warping lids or let downs anywhere as of now.
Ehsopps did a great job with this sump.

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my R-200 on Thursday finally after waiting about a month with backorders.

Initial thoughts are very good acrylic quality and thickness. I can't see this thing ever bowing. Lines are clean and it just overall looks good.

I am not sure yet if I need to add a small korelia for the refug. I think most of the people who say they have literally no flow don't have a return pump that is high enough. If you have a return pump that is only giving you 300-400gph after headloss, then I can understand there would be practically zero flow through the refug.

I have a 650gph return, so after headloss I am probably closer to 500gph and I can see flow in the refug. I am just not sure if its enough. It might be better for me to just save up and get a Vectra.

My filter socks that I have don't seem to work well. The stock one works good, but with my ebay mesh ones, the water seems to seep under the ring so it doesn't even go through the filter. Anyone else having that issue? Are we simply stuck buying the Eshopps ones only?
I am not partial to felt because it clogs so fast. I can use the mesh ones for 1-2 weeks...after that I need to change it to prevent detritus breaking down in it, not because its clogged and overflowing like the felt ones.

*btw it has a nice feature of an emergency water slot so if the sock clogs, it doesn't overflow right onto the floor, it will overflow into the return chamber, which in turn would fill up the rest of the sump before going over onto the floor.

I personally don't need to see the water level in the return. I have THREE emergency ATO floats in the return chamber so my APEX will inform me if something is wrong.

Float 1: Turns on the ATO when low
Float 2: Turns off the ATO when high (if float 1 fails)
Float 3: Turns OFF the return pump when low (if float 1 fails and/or ATO pump or line clogs so to avoid running pump dry/catch fire) (hooked up to apex so will message me)

Last edited:

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Where are you guys placing your heaters at in the sump? I'm running the cube version on a 68g half cylinder. I have the heaters in Refugium but I'm concerned there's not enough water flow through there for the heaters to be efficient.

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ps2cho,
I have pretty good flow through my fugium chamber. Enough so, that I am pretty confident I could grow some corals in it. Its pretty good flow, and I can visually see it as fins air bubbles come in with it.
On filter socks, you want plastic mesh(or nylon) ones vs. material. They last a long long time. Just rinse them out and go. And I am sure we could get a good 7 days out of them before they need rinsing out. I believe Skymz is coming out with them quickly. 300 micron! They will be coming from Germany if I am not mistaken. Hoping they will drop right in and fit our sumps! If so.........................YAHOOOOO!!!!!!! They look very similar! I purchased three of the Eshopps ones. They are not bad. I rotate them out, rinse them and throw them in the washing machine. Risne them well in RO DI water when done and they are good to go!

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ps2cho,
You know, you could cut yourself a round gasket to fit in between the filter sock base and your sump! That would probably seal most of it off if you cannot get it to seal by itself.............................just a thought! Use polyester material to make a few gaskets. Hope that helps!

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my sumps been running a week now and I am noticing that I have some bubbles/foaming in the refugium section.

Could this be from a lack of flow or just breaking in?

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my sumps been running a week now and I am noticing that I have some bubbles/foaming in the refugium section.

Could this be from a lack of flow or just breaking in?
Seemed to be a break in issue for me and they never reached the DT

Back