Eshopps Nano Protein Skimmer vs Icecap K1 Nano Skimmer.

Evan1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried any nano skimmers(apart from the included one) and I am also looking to upgrade my skimmer that came with my Aquatop 40 gallon AIO. If anyone has a fantastic skimmer that they use for a nano tank I would love to hear about it! I would also like to add that the chamber in the back is only 3 and 1/2 inches by 3 inches, so it is a relatively small area to work with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ricksreeefs

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried any nano skimmers(apart from the included one) and I am also looking to upgrade my skimmer that came with my Aquatop 40 gallon AIO. If anyone has a fantastic skimmer that they use for a nano tank I would love to hear about it! I would also like to add that the chamber in the back is only 3 and 1/2 inches by 3 inches, so it is a relatively small area to work with.
Did yours come with one?

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have the eshopps nano skimmer so I can't compare. BUT it does do a good job. It pulls out some seriously dark stinky funk - and it looks just like the same stuff from the big boys. It's light on the adjustments front - meaning all you can do is move it up and down with respect to the water level. But, once you find the spot, I generally don't have to mess with it. It fills the cup weekly, and is easy to maintain. The pump does need to be cleaned about every other month or performance suffers. You do have to take the whole thing out, and then pull the little mini pump apart. There is a little sponge type pad that gets funky and restricts flow. Easy to do, but takes 10-15 minutes of maintenance every couple of months.

I'd buy it again and I believe it's a valuable addition to my nano - even though the general consensus is that you don't need one and can just do water changes. I'm keeping mine in the tank and running.

FWIW

Evan1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to go with the Coralife Biocube v2 skimmer because it is one of the only ones that is small enough to fit into my chamber. I am also looking into getting a media reactor that will run bio pellets or something similar like the seachem de-nitrate filer to help with nutrients export. After I run the Coralife skimmer for a few weeks I will tell you my thoughts on it.

OP
OP
Ricksreeefs

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to go with the Coralife Biocube v2 skimmer because it is one of the only ones that is small enough to fit into my chamber. I am also looking into getting a media reactor that will run bio pellets or something similar like the seachem de-nitrate filer to help with nutrients export. After I run the Coralife skimmer for a few weeks I will tell you my thoughts on it.
Innovative marine desktop reactor is the way to go love mine!

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the Icecap K1 in my Waterbox 20 and 25...it was miserably loud.

We have the Tunze 9004 in the 35 and it’s quiet but way too big for the 20.

Considering trying the Eshopps or Aquamaxx nano next.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Did you try the air intake modification that is discussed in this thread?

I am not sure which one to go with for my IM25

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the ice cap k1 nano in my bedroom. Stone silent.

Evan1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coralife Biocube v2 skimmer has been great. The only negative thing about it is the skimmer cup size, but once the skimmer breaks in it's not noticeable. Apart from that, it has been great. It is quiet, effective, and cheap.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 54 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back