Essential Oil Diffuser Reef Safe?

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have the tank in my room and it has a glass cover but there is still an opening and I was wondering if an essential oil diffuser would be safe to use in my room.

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If at all possible when using it I would try and cover that opening. I wouldn't want any type of oils (my wife thinks she can cure anything with them) in my tank. I can't comment for sure though.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to hear more opinions. I researched the topic in the past and came to the general consensus that anything like that would pollute the tank. I guess it's a matter of how much.

Although some said lemon oil is something they add to tanks, so that one might be ok.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had my son spray fabreeze in where my tanks were. I turned off all the fans and Let it all drop. I was not happy but didn’t lose anything. I would stay far away from anything scented wherever the tanks are

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have the tank in my room and it has a glass cover but there is still an opening and I was wondering if an essential oil diffuser would be safe to use in my room.
been using for awhile haven't seen any side effect's both are in my bedroom "shrugs"

IMAG1775[1140].jpg

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read and been told that it is not good, and can lead to die offs. No explanation as to exactly why though. At the very least, oil getting into the water would knock out your protein skimmer by disrupting surface tension.

Clove oil is apparently an anesthetic for fish, so perhaps other essential oils may have similar effects?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated, I have read that even candles can cause issues. I would think that anything that enters the air could be a possible contaminate but I don't have any personal experience with it.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using essential oil diffusers for years. And kept quite a few tanks. No issues. We even diffuse clove oil which has eugonol, which is used to euthanize fish. I’ve seen zero issues with keeping fish, corals and inverts. My oldest fish are 2+ years and I’ve had some corals for longer than that.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to try it with the diffuser on the other side of the room to test it out only for 30 min maybe and if things go well ill leave it on later. I had a leopard gecko before and I used a diffuser when he was around. He was really healthy til I decided to rehome him but then again reptiles are way different from aquatic life.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to try it with the diffuser on the other side of the room to test it out only for 30 min maybe and if things go well ill leave it on later. I had a leopard gecko before and I used a diffuser when he was around. He was really healthy til I decided to rehome him but then again reptiles are way different from aquatic life.
Is it a nebulizer or a diffuser where you put the oil in water?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks been running for just under a year with a diffuser about 10ft away that is used at least once a week. Haven’t seen any bad effects I can contribute to the diffuser at all. Plus been running planted tank for over a decade without any issues due to candles or diffusers

I’m sure if you let them spray into the tank that would be a no go but across the room I can’t see an issue with it.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it cause an issue, most likely not, but it is possible because anything put into the air will fall or settle in your tank water.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back