Estimated PAR needs for listed corals

Argos02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I have been doing a lot of research in preparation for my first saltwater tank; which is still a long time from being started. I have a preliminary list of some corals that I might like to start with but am confused as to which light to get. I know these are relatively low demand corals but how much PAR should I aim for? From research it looks as though: Low light= 50-100par; Moderate=100-200par. If I can be successful with more inexpensive lighting obviously I would like to do that. I'm not looking for specific light recommendations just:

1. Should I just aim for 200 at the highest? Or is this way too much light for these corals?
2. Which corals from the list need the most light?

Soft Corals:
  • Florida Ricordea
  • Palythoa
  • Sinularia Finger Coral
  • Green Star Polyps
LPS Corals:
  • Torches
  • Hammer (Euphyllia)
  • Galaxea
  • Scolymia
  • Acanthastrea
  • Favia and Favites
  • Goniastrea
  • Cyphastrea
  • Leptastrea
  • Some encrusting corals (Lythophllya/Fungia/Pavona/Mycedium)
  • Duncans
  • Caulastrea
  • Trachyphyllia/Lobophyllia

Thanks for any information!

Last edited:

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
200 par at max is enough for all the corals you listed. I would say that torches/euphyllia need the most light out of these corals.

OP
OP
A

Argos02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 par at max is enough for all the corals you listed. I would say that torches/euphyllia need the most light out of these corals.
Thanks! So I guess 200 par won't be too much light then for these corals.

If I may ask one more question:
As these potential corals do not need as much flow as sps corals, which power heads (how many) would you specifically recommend? Voretech mp40, Ice Cap 2kgyr, Tunze nanostream6055 or something else? The vortech seems like it might be overkill.

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks! So I guess 200 par won't be too much light then for these corals.

If I may ask one more question:
As these potential corals do not need as much flow as sps corals, which power heads (how many) would you specifically recommend? Voretech mp40, Ice Cap 2kgyr, Tunze nanostream6055 or something else? The vortech seems like it might be overkill.
First of all, what are the tank dimensions that you are planning to have? And yes, these corals do not need much flow compared to SPS.

OP
OP
A

Argos02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, what are the tank dimensions that you are planning to have? And yes, these corals do not need much flow compared to SPS.
Sorry! Should have included that information. ;Happy Most likely a rectangular tank around 90-120 gallons. Rough estimates for dimensions: 47x19x21 in inches.

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry! Should have included that information. ;Happy Most likely a rectangular tank around 90-120 gallons. Rough estimates for dimensions: 47x19x21 in inches.
The dimensions are really similar to my 75G tank. I have a variety of corals, mostly SPS. I use 2 MP40s and they provide enough flow for mine. I’m not exactly sure what powerheads would be good for you, but remember you can always turn them down.

OP
OP
A

Argos02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dimensions are really similar to my 75G tank. I have a variety of corals, mostly SPS. I use 2 MP40s and they provide enough flow for mine. I’m not exactly sure what powerheads would be good for you, but remember you can always turn them down.
I agree, better to turn a powerhead down than have it on max, the noise is reduced this way, and you always have the option to turn it up if things change.
Great points. Completely agree that the Vortechs would be the "best" option, with the control and ease of use. However two of those power heads would cost ~$720. I could easily get two Icecap 4ks and two nanostream 6055 for the same price. It seems I would get more flow for the price with the 4 power heads, but wouldn't actually need anywhere close to this amount of flow for the intended corals. I guess I am just confused on how much flow I actually need for these corals. I watched almost all the videos on BRS (awesome source of information) and wrote down in my notes that you want around 20 times the tanks volume for soft and lps, and around 50 for sps. So technically, it seems as though even one Icecap 2000 would be sufficient. (not considering you want to churn the water, so probably want a power head on the other side) I am probably just overthinking this which I tend to do.

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great points. Completely agree that the Vortechs would be the "best" option, with the control and ease of use. However two of those power heads would cost ~$720. I could easily get two Icecap 4ks and two nanostream 6055 for the same price. It seems I would get more flow for the price with the 4 power heads, but wouldn't actually need anywhere close to this amount of flow for the intended corals. I guess I am just confused on how much flow I actually need for these corals. I watched almost all the videos on BRS (awesome source of information) and wrote down in my notes that you want around 20 times the tanks volume for soft and lps, and around 50 for sps. So technically, it seems as though even one Icecap 2000 would be sufficient. (not considering you want to churn the water, so probably want a power head on the other side) I am probably just overthinking this which I tend to do.
I would go with Tunze nanostreams if I were you since they have a great reputation and their pumps last for a long time. I really don’t like gyres as they require more maintenance than other pumps out there.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 143 40.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 178 50.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 9.1%
Back