ESV B-Ionic 2 Part

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You usually should not need extra magnesium when using B-ionic unless your salt mix for water changes is lower than your target (which doesn’t apply to you) , and you will never “need” it as frequently as daily. But if you know you need it, it is fine to add extra magnesium.

Yep, I've used very little. Almost none. Since ESV has the Magnesium in the Calcium component, it's a true "2-part" buffer. (-:

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wether the RS trace is intended to boost or supplement trace elements or if its just meant to balance out the 2 part system they offer...

I think the Trace Colors are meant to supplement what is being consumed by growing corals, because if we’re dosing based on calcium consumption...we are only supplementing what’s being used. You could boost certain elements but I don’t think it’s needed. Some elements may be beneficial to elevate, but others are dangerous. My main focus is to prevent any elements from being depleted. Being able to add these back is key for proper growth and health.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the Trace Colors are meant to supplement what is being consumed by growing corals, because if we’re dosing based on calcium consumption...we are only supplementing what’s being used. You could boost certain elements but I don’t think it’s needed. Some elements may be beneficial to elevate, but others are dangerous. My main focus is to prevent any elements from being depleted. Being able to add these back is key for proper growth and health.
Are you planning on running an icp test over the next few months?

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an sps tank and run B ionic two part for around 15 months now in this system. Just started dosing some of the RS trace colors program as my chaeto was starving and after I started dosing some iron, figured would dose the others and observe carefully if sps colors would improve.

I also dose Acropower daily as my nitrates are low at 2ppm.
Just my opinion, regular water changes with a good salt will go a long way. Forget secrets and magic formulas you will need to try different approaches and watch reactions of your corals.

Giving advice is easy, a colorful tank with good growth are fruits of patience, successes, defeats and persistence. Stick to basics and good luck

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy I reached out to Bob Stark again. I really like that guy. He’s very transparent about his products and it really gives me confidence when dosing ESV. There’s not very many people like him around. I wanted to included our second email so that other reefers can reference this in the future and better understand ESV B-Ionic.

Hi Jared,

I'm glad the B-Ionic 2 Part is working out for you and thanks for spreading the word! You are correct in that the amount of certain elements provided by the product may not keep up with demand, although significant trace elements are added to our systems simply by feeding. Depending on how much of the 2 part is added, certain major elements can stay in the ballpark with the 2 part alone..like magnesium, potassium, and sulfate. Others, as you suggest, are probably not being added in sufficient quantity so we suggest once per week additions of our B-Ionic Strontium and B-Ionic Iodide. In addition, for tanks over 4 months old and more populated, we recommend daily additions of our B-Ionic Transition Elements which provide very low doses of Iron, Manganese, and Zinc. We also have a Transition Elements Plus product that supplies the same amounts of these elements but also adds citric acid and ascorbic acid for carbon dosing if the aquarist is battling higher nitrates. I'm not too keen on supplying trace elements which can be required by non calcifying inhabitants (macro algae and soft corals) based on calcification rates alone, but I see some of the logic behind it. My guess is the Red Sea Colors are probably safe to use with our B-Ionic, but don't know enough about their product line to say with absolute certainty. All of the above mentioned ESV additives, in addition to the 2 Part, have been formulated to fall a little under the radar of trace element overdose and based on our testing and feedback from customers who have run ICP, we are confident the dosages are safe. Hope this info helps and thanks again for using our products!

Bob Stark

ESV Aquarium Products Inc.
Thanks for posting it. :)

Citra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new info to share on this. I am also dosing B-Ionic 2 part and have the red sea trace elements. I have yet to dose it and I am trying to figure out how much to dose of each part. I have a reefer 625xxl and am currently using 37ml of each part of B-Ionic. Any advise?

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go onto the ESV sight there is a load of information. Also like jarred did you can reach out to the company at any time and they will respond. There transition elements make it easy to dose.

Citra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, Do you have any answers for this one. I don't want to overdose my tank. Can you go by the BRS calculator for their 2-Part and adding Red Sea Trace Colors? I know they may be different calcium concentrations per ml between the different brands?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back