ESV for alkalinity and kalkwasser for Calcium??

dzolot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

so I’ve been using kalkwasser in my 150g mixed reef for the last five years. My alk is very low at 5.2dkh. calcium is 470 and mag is 1500.

I started dosing ESV alkalinity to get the alk up. So my question - is there any reason i can’t doses ESV for alk and continue to dose kalkwasser for calcium (and to keep ph elevated)?

thank you in advance!

here’s a pic of my tank (crazy it’s doing this well with such low alk, but it is!!)

63572DA4-12E6-4375-B620-4488C721E4DE.jpeg

OP
OP
dzolot

dzolot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful aquarium! Is it possible that your Alk testing is incorrect? Have you ever validated the reading with a different test kit or ICP?
Thank you! And good question. Yes, i tested with both Hanna and Red Sea test kit.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

so I’ve been using kalkwasser in my 150g mixed reef for the last five years. My alk is very low at 5.2dkh. calcium is 470 and mag is 1500.

I started dosing ESV alkalinity to get the alk up. So my question - is there any reason i can’t doses ESV for alk and continue to dose kalkwasser for calcium (and to keep ph elevated)?

thank you in advance!

here’s a pic of my tank (crazy it’s doing this well with such low alk, but it is!!)

63572DA4-12E6-4375-B620-4488C721E4DE.jpeg
Yes, you can rebalance it slowly, then revert just to kalk, as it supplies calcium and Alkalinity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started dosing ESV alkalinity to get the alk up. So my question - is there any reason i can’t doses ESV for alk and continue to dose kalkwasser for calcium (and to keep ph elevated)?

You do realize that limewater (kalkwasser) supplies both calcium and alkalinity?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV and Kalk both have ALK and CAL in them. :) I’m not sure why you wouldn’t dose both parts of ESV.

ESV also has Mag in the Calcium component.

OP
OP
dzolot

dzolot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful aquarium! Is it possible that your Alk testing is incorrect? Have you ever validated the reading with a different test kit or ICP?
Thank you! And goof question. Yes, i tested with both Hanna and Red Sea test kit.
You do realize that limewater (kalkwasser) supplies both calcium and alkalinity?
yes, but over time alk diverges lower if dosing kalk only. So I’m recalibrating by using ESV alk to get my alk back up.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, but over time alk diverges lower if dosing kalk only. So I’m recalibrating by using ESV alk to get my alk back up.
Using kalk and supplementing as needed with 1 or both parts of a 2-part like ESV is an okay plan.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! And goof question. Yes, i tested with both Hanna and Red Sea test kit.

That is true, but the effect is quite small. If you use the limewater to maintin alk (as I did), then calcium will very slowly rise. Water changes will keep that rise in check.

Here's my experience with that after dosing only limewater for 20 years:

Calcium (Ca). In my reef aquarium, I use only Instant Ocean salt and I have not added any additional calcium except as limewater for a number of years (during which time I have continued regular 1% daily water changes). So why is my calcium level (472 mg/L) higher than one would normally expect for Instant Ocean (maybe between 350 and 400 mg/L)? That long term rise in calcium is actually the expected result when using limewater to maintain alkalinity.

Limewater adds calcium and alkalinity in exactly the same proportions as in pure calcium carbonate. So if that is what is used by corals to make skeletons, and what precipitates on pumps and such, then calcium would stay constant.

But both magnesium and strontium get into growing calcium carbonate crystals in place of some of the calcium. A few percent of the calcium is replaced this way. Consequently, since the same amount of alkalinity (the carbonate) is used over time, and somewhat less than the balancing amount of calcium, calcium rises if alkalinity is maintained. I’m happy to see the result match the theory, and the calcium level seems fine to me.

OP
OP
dzolot

dzolot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true, but the effect is quite small. If you use the limewater to maintin alk (as I did), then calcium will very slowly rise. Water changes will keep that rise in check.

Here's my experience with that after dosing only limewater for 20 years:

Calcium (Ca). In my reef aquarium, I use only Instant Ocean salt and I have not added any additional calcium except as limewater for a number of years (during which time I have continued regular 1% daily water changes). So why is my calcium level (472 mg/L) higher than one would normally expect for Instant Ocean (maybe between 350 and 400 mg/L)? That long term rise in calcium is actually the expected result when using limewater to maintain alkalinity.

Limewater adds calcium and alkalinity in exactly the same proportions as in pure calcium carbonate. So if that is what is used by corals to make skeletons, and what precipitates on pumps and such, then calcium would stay constant.

But both magnesium and strontium get into growing calcium carbonate crystals in place of some of the calcium. A few percent of the calcium is replaced this way. Consequently, since the same amount of alkalinity (the carbonate) is used over time, and somewhat less than the balancing amount of calcium, calcium rises if alkalinity is maintained. I’m happy to see the result match the theory, and the calcium level seems fine to me.
Thank you for that detailed response Randy!
A few things:
1) i do very infrequent water changes (about 20% every three months), so i am sure that is part of the cause of my high calc/ low alk vs what you are experiencing in your tank with daily 1% changes.
2) about three or four months ago, my calc was over 600!! I pulled back massively on the kalk dosing, so calc is more in check now, but obviously at the cost is very low alk. I don’t know what my alk was when ny calc was at 600 - just never checked alk until now!
3) how long do you recommend i take to increase alk from the 5.2 it’s at now to get it into the 7-8dkh range?

thanks again for taking the time to read and answer my post!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would want to bring your alk up with the esv to the desired range (not too fast) and then resume just kalk dosing to maintain it.

Over time it may drift slowly… so then you would add a little esv alk now and again. So test alk every so often :)

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the esv to bring your alk back up to where you want.

Kalkwasser is best used to maintain alkalinity and calcium. It sound like you may have skipped some testing and adjust the dose to account for coral growth and alk consumption.

You could probably raise the alk over the course of a week or so. No need to rush, but no need to spread it out super far. The usual recommendation is not to exceed .5dkh raise in a single day, but I have done 1.0dkh in a day and had no issues.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3) how long do you recommend i take to increase alk from the 5.2 it’s at now to get it into the 7-8dkh range?

maybe 5 days.

Baking soda is also a fine choice. if you run out of the ESV.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never met a supplement that did not need trued up every few months. I use a CaRx which mostly adds in balance, but I have to add more carbonate a few times a year. IMO, all of this is pretty normal.

OP
OP
dzolot

dzolot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all are an amazing resource and contributor to this community. Thank you so much for your help - it is all very much appreciated!!! Thank you.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back