Euphyllia and scoly mania dying

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammer coral, frogspawn and scolys are all receding and dying. Running gfo and protein skimmer, no angels for nipping. Levels are normal 1.025, phosphates low and nitrates low. Alk steady around 8.4-8.6. I’m going nuts losing all this coral. Only new addition is a peppermint shrimp, could he be destroying all these corals???? PleSe help me

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scoly is completely dead. Could leaving it in the tank two days while dead and Skelton showing affect the other corals??

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp have been known to go rogue and eat coral. I would take it out

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rogue?? All hard corals are thriving, one acan lord went, regular acan is fine. Zoas good. Frogspawn killed, hammer receding, scoly dead. what the heck

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say about the shrimp. I've kept peppermint for years without issues. But, when I ran gfo I took out LPS from stripping the water. Not saying this is the cause but chemistry can definitely play a role.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suddenly adding gfo can cause problems for LPS. Suddenly increasing lighting can cause problems for LPS. And suddenly increasing flow can cause problems for LPS.

Peppermint shrimp can bother fleshy LPS, but usually aren't a problem for Euphyllia.

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfo has been in for a few weeks. Lighting is Ai prime hd 26, they’ve been on same settings for about 5 months no new flow, tds 0

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you add gfo, did you have high phosphates? Never had a good experience with gfo and LPS personally. Took the reactor off line permanently. Whatever amount is in chemipure blue is all that sits in the sump.

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you add gfo, did you have high phosphates? Never had a good experience with gfo and LPS personally. Took the reactor off line permanently. Whatever amount is in chemipure blue is all that sits in the sump.

Yes was getting alittle algae, but I also have fuge now as well.

Wh00pS32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have been the peppermint.
A couple of years ago i added 4 to a 14g nano to help with a large aiptasia outbreak. They went on to eat a trachy, neon candycane, hammer and a heck of a lot of money's worth of acans.
I would never add a peppermint to any tank i own again, to me they are the spawn of the devil :D
Some people never have a problem with them but i know plenty of others for who they have been a nightmare.
To top it all off they never ate a single aiptasia.

shaggydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the rogue peppermint theory. I have had about a dozen over the years without issue but got 2 that went ape in my current tank. They ate a frogspawn, plate, and other lps. I would get them out and see if that helps

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back