Hammer is really unhappy

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up for 18 months. My Tank Thread

I have had this hammer for 1 year. It was thriving (first pic). The first of November last year, I had to pull off a tank move to accommodate new hard wood floor installation. It went well, but the Hammer was immediately visibly disturbed by all the noise and commotion (second pic). It bounced back a bit after the move (third pic), but now is completely retracted (fourth pic) and has been this way for weeks. There has not been any polyp bail out. Meanwhile, my Duncan and all my other corals and livestock are doing great. In the time since the tank move these are the things I have done to try and make the hammer happy.

1. removed GFO because my phosphates were always undetectable. After I took it out, I got some color on my API test kit, but never over 0.25. Phosphates are now back to 0, but I believe they are wrapped up in cyano from item #4. I intend to replace the GFO after maintenance today.

2. messed around with flow

3. daily adding 5 mls of AquaVitro 8.4 to increase pH and dKH, it works, but have to add daily. (I think I will continue using this)

4. started daily dosing of 5 mls of Red Sea AB+ to try and feed it, this just gave me cyano (I am going to stop using this)

5. I feed heavy because I have a ton of CUC with a mixture of frozen mysis, prime reef and selcon, plus a few mixed pellets of Formula One and Formula Two

Parameters have been steady and today before glass scraping, turkey basting rocks, water change and cyano removal are:
Temp 78
Nitrate 20
Phosphate 0
pH 8.0
dKH 8.7
Calcium 449
Salinity 1.025

Any thoughts are welcome.

image0 (22).jpeg

IMG_6106.jpg

IMG_6131.jpg

image0 (34).jpeg

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it getting stung directly or chemically?
Carbon?

What is the timeframe between the photos?

I see new floor - what is the timing of new floor to decline of the hammer?

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah from my understanding (not an expert in any way) nems can be non aggressive for however long they want and then one day want their neighbor to move and sting the s*** out of it.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah from my understanding (not an expert in any way) nems can be non aggressive for however long they want and then one day want their neighbor to move and sting the s*** out of it.
I totally believe that, but the nem was moved when putting the tank back up, so not a factor at this point. I moved the rock, and the nem found a happy place. Nem currently lives here.

nem.jpg

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the excel setup you have in a business major in college and excel is my bestfriend! Yeah pretty stable params all I could say from those are that the alk had a a jump to 10 and went back down that could’ve made him unhappy. From the research I’ve done is quick swings of alk can upset some of your corals. Everything else looks normal I would prob just keep testing often and making sure you keep your params stable and he should open back up. Good luck!

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 20+ head hammer do something similar. Started dying one or two heads at a time real slow over about eight months.No jelly and good parameters. Two other hammer colonies still fine. Fragged the last three heads off and they're going fine. Wish I knew since I had it for three or four years.

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah from reading so many threads I see people say all the time not to chase ph 7.8 is a little low however it’s not a huge deal honestly finding a solution to raising all could help your ph. I use Red Sea coral pro salt for my water. It has high alk which keeps ph high. Also dosing all for reef can help maintain levels of alk. Which in turn makes ph a little higher.

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 20+ head hammer do something similar. Started dying one or two heads at a time real slow over about eight months.No jelly and good parameters. Two other hammer colonies still fine. Fragged the last three heads off and they're going fine. Wish I knew since I had it for three or four years.
Yeah I’ve heard of similar stories just euphyllia melting for no reason.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the timeframe between the heatlhy photo - and the others and between healthy and floor work?

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you testing with for phosphate?

My guess is starving, tissue is almost non existent.

Light or nutrients too low. Or this has been going on longer and stung.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you testing with for phosphate?

My guess is starving, tissue is almost non existent.

Light or nutrients too low. Or this has been going on longer and stung.
I test phosphate with API. I feed heavy. Nitrates are usually above 10.

I started adding coral food, Red Sea AB+, no help

It was thriving for 9 months. No real changes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back