Hammer is really unhappy

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to try the KFC dip. When I make the dip, I make a few gallons so I can immerse all my LPS and softies for 12+ hours in a container with a powerhead.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't measured. My diagnosis is lack of par.

STN
Estimation based on this. my light is much lower.

par_kessil tuna.jpg

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barring any issues/changes as a result of the floor work and without understanding the timeframe of the decline, I will assume that it may need more light/food and what you are seeing now is the end of a gradual decline that may or may not include a tipping point related to the nem or the work done on the floor. A change of venue, higher up with more flow may get it to recover a bit, but It does look like it is in severe decline. Also, maybe placing in a friends tank to see if it recovers?

In any case as you have ignored my responses thus far, I will assume that you don't want my input.

Good luck with the hammer and I hope you do get it sorted out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank has been up for 18 months. My Tank Thread

I have had this hammer for 1 year. It was thriving (first pic). The first of November last year, I had to pull off a tank move to accommodate new hard wood floor installation. It went well, but the Hammer was immediately visibly disturbed by all the noise and commotion (second pic). It bounced back a bit after the move (third pic), but now is completely retracted (fourth pic) and has been this way for weeks. There has not been any polyp bail out. Meanwhile, my Duncan and all my other corals and livestock are doing great. In the time since the tank move these are the things I have done to try and make the hammer happy.

1. removed GFO because my phosphates were always undetectable. After I took it out, I got some color on my API test kit, but never over 0.25. Phosphates are now back to 0, but I believe they are wrapped up in cyano from item #4. I intend to replace the GFO after maintenance today.

2. messed around with flow

3. daily adding 5 mls of AquaVitro 8.4 to increase pH and dKH, it works, but have to add daily. (I think I will continue using this)

4. started daily dosing of 5 mls of Red Sea AB+ to try and feed it, this just gave me cyano (I am going to stop using this)

5. I feed heavy because I have a ton of CUC with a mixture of frozen mysis, prime reef and selcon, plus a few mixed pellets of Formula One and Formula Two

Parameters have been steady and today before glass scraping, turkey basting rocks, water change and cyano removal are:
Temp 78
Nitrate 20
Phosphate 0
pH 8.0
dKH 8.7
Calcium 449
Salinity 1.025

Any thoughts are welcome.

image0 (22).jpeg

IMG_6106.jpg

IMG_6131.jpg

image0 (34).jpeg
Aptasia may be upsetting it but also assure flow is not too low, calcium is not below 400 and you are feeding it properly- Mysis is a perfect food. For the aptasia, Using a syringe or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are on 12 hours a day. 4 hours of ramp up from blues to full spectrum, 4 hours of full spectrum, 4 hours of ramp down back to blues, all at about 80% intensity. I gotta think that is enough PAR. It was happy for almost a year.

image0 (35).jpeg

image1 (26).jpeg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I’ve read that and I would never question Randy but myself and many on this forum have noted that our torches, frogspawn and hammers seem to thrive and take off with magnesium at 1400 or higher. Perhaps anecdotal and if I was reading this thread I would defer to Randy, just relaying my experience, take it for what it’s worth. I hope you can turn your coral around, good luck and for what it’s worth I would go with the original recipe over extra crispy!

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I’ve read that and I would never question Randy but myself and many on this forum have noted that our torches, frogspawn and hammers seem to thrive and take off with magnesium at 1400 or higher. Perhaps anecdotal and if I was reading this thread I would defer to Randy, just relaying my experience, take it for what it’s worth. I hope you can turn your coral around, good luck and for what it’s worth I would go with the original recipe over extra crispy!
Wait, what about Original Extra Crispy?!?!?
Why has no one thought of that yet?

I do appreciate your feed back and support. Thank you.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia may be upsetting it but also assure flow is not too low, calcium is not below 400 and you are feeding it properly- Mysis is a perfect food. For the aptasia, Using a syringe or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away
Would the aptasia have to be in close proximity?

I am going to stick the flow right on it and see what happens. Nothing to lose at this point...

Quintin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the speard sheet. You went from 8 to 10 dkh in a very short time frame. Big swings like that is going to affect your corals. But agree with the rest, it’s probably been stung by the anemone as well as they seem very close together.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are on 12 hours a day. 4 hours of ramp up from blues to full spectrum, 4 hours of full spectrum, 4 hours of ramp down back to blues, all at about 80% intensity. I gotta think that is enough PAR. It was happy for almost a year.

image0 (35).jpeg

image1 (26).jpeg

The tissue around the base does not indicate happy. IMO

See how mine has white nice tissue down the skeleton.

Mines in 300 par and 30 nitrate, 0.1 phos, 1500 mag

PXL_20240217_235056646.jpg

I'll leave it at that good luck

Attachments

• PXL_20240207_170931720.jpg
    PXL_20240207_170931720.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20240213_185617468.jpg
    PXL_20240213_185617468.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 32

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would the aptasia have to be in close proximity?

I am going to stick the flow right on it and see what happens. Nothing to lose at this point...
at least 3/4" to cause issue

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1708214092602.png

I think there are several factors at play here, but in general low light and unhappy flow/food likely slowed growth. A sting or other stress put it into further decline and there is just not enough strength to recover. I don't think it would tolerate any dip at this point but not sure that it would hurt either. iodone or revive (lightly) and then in a bit higher flow centered under one of the lights and a bit higher up. Target feeding if it comes out. Mysis may be too big... maybe coral frenzy with an eye dropper.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%

Back