Hammer is really unhappy

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halofolliculina corallasia is a species of heterotrich ciliates identified as a cause of the syndrome called skeletal eroding band (SEB). It is the first coral disease pathogen that is a protozoan as well as the first known to be a eukaryote; all others identified are bacteria.
So l have three colonies of hammer corals all at the same ph and alk. One dies but the other two continues to prosper. The last three heads are fragged off the dying coral about a month ago and seems fine. Not sure how this is parameters since multiple other corals are doing fine.
A wall hammer would pass and infection along the skeleton and the decline would be pretty rapid and why wall hammers were considered more difficult for a long time or maybe still. The branching hammer
would take much longer to move through the skeleton and
So l have three colonies of hammer corals all at the same ph and alk. One dies but the other two continues to prosper. The last three heads are fragged off the dying coral about a month ago and seems fine. Not sure how this is parameters since multiple other corals are doing fine.
Were these three branching colonies originating from the same colony or different? Were they added at the same time?

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up for 18 months. My Tank Thread

I have had this hammer for 1 year. It was thriving (first pic). The first of November last year, I had to pull off a tank move to accommodate new hard wood floor installation. It went well, but the Hammer was immediately visibly disturbed by all the noise and commotion (second pic). It bounced back a bit after the move (third pic), but now is completely retracted (fourth pic) and has been this way for weeks. There has not been any polyp bail out. Meanwhile, my Duncan and all my other corals and livestock are doing great. In the time since the tank move these are the things I have done to try and make the hammer happy.

1. removed GFO because my phosphates were always undetectable. After I took it out, I got some color on my API test kit, but never over 0.25. Phosphates are now back to 0, but I believe they are wrapped up in cyano from item #4. I intend to replace the GFO after maintenance today.

2. messed around with flow

3. daily adding 5 mls of AquaVitro 8.4 to increase pH and dKH, it works, but have to add daily. (I think I will continue using this)

4. started daily dosing of 5 mls of Red Sea AB+ to try and feed it, this just gave me cyano (I am going to stop using this)

5. I feed heavy because I have a ton of CUC with a mixture of frozen mysis, prime reef and selcon, plus a few mixed pellets of Formula One and Formula Two

Parameters have been steady and today before glass scraping, turkey basting rocks, water change and cyano removal are:
Temp 78
Nitrate 20
Phosphate 0
pH 8.0
dKH 8.7
Calcium 449
Salinity 1.025

Any thoughts are welcome.

image0 (22).jpeg

IMG_6106.jpg

IMG_6131.jpg

Tank has been up for 18 months. My Tank Thread

I have had this hammer for 1 year. It was thriving (first pic). The first of November last year, I had to pull off a tank move to accommodate new hard wood floor installation. It went well, but the Hammer was immediately visibly disturbed by all the noise and commotion (second pic). It bounced back a bit after the move (third pic), but now is completely retracted (fourth pic) and has been this way for weeks. There has not been any polyp bail out. Meanwhile, my Duncan and all my other corals and livestock are doing great. In the time since the tank move these are the things I have done to try and make the hammer happy.

1. removed GFO because my phosphates were always undetectable. After I took it out, I got some color on my API test kit, but never over 0.25. Phosphates are now back to 0, but I believe they are wrapped up in cyano from item #4. I intend to replace the GFO after maintenance today.

2. messed around with flow

3. daily adding 5 mls of AquaVitro 8.4 to increase pH and dKH, it works, but have to add daily. (I think I will continue using this)

4. started daily dosing of 5 mls of Red Sea AB+ to try and feed it, this just gave me cyano (I am going to stop using this)

5. I feed heavy because I have a ton of CUC with a mixture of frozen mysis, prime reef and selcon, plus a few mixed pellets of Formula One and Formula Two

Parameters have been steady and today before glass scraping, turkey basting rocks, water change and cyano removal are:
Temp 78
Nitrate 20
Phosphate 0
pH 8.0
dKH 8.7
Calcium 449
Salinity 1.025

Any thoughts are welcome.

image0 (22).jpeg

IMG_6106.jpg

IMG_6131.jpg

image0 (34).jpeg

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it got stung, or stanged. What ever you want to call it.

I had a frammer sting a colony of 50+ clove polyps. I have 2 clove polyps now.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personal attacks are not allowed here on Reef2Reef. We take the "Be nice" rule seriously. Let's get this thread back on track. Disagreements are fine, but avoid making them personal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back