Euphyllia coral slowly dying

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used cipro several times with success in LPS tank. Your numbers aren't bad how about flow and lighting par?

Have you done an ICP test to check everything? Maybe something has rusted and slowly killing corals? ICP can determine stuff like that.
I agree, if water is ok then it’s likely to be bacterial or viral. Low dose Ciprofloxacin according to @AquaBiomics’s work is definitely worth a shot IMO.

OP
OP
J

jaw1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, if water is ok then it’s likely to be bacterial or viral. Low dose Ciprofloxacin according to @AquaBiomics’s work is definitely worth a shot IMO.
I tried the cipro regime. Doesn’t seem to of helped much. I have a torch and a frogspawn receding now. Waiting to get my icp test back.

OP
OP
J

jaw1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dose did you do?
I got my icp test back today. I had high lithium levels. My phosphate was a little high and I had some trace minerals a little low. Wonder if the lithium could be causing my problems?

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my icp test back today. I had high lithium levels. My phosphate was a little high and I had some trace minerals a little low. Wonder if the lithium could be causing my problems?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well at least you know what to fix. Randy can probably address lithium question, I'm not sure. I had high aluminum so ran some cuprasorb

OP
OP
J

jaw1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my icp test said I was low on iodine so that is my only cause for concern but I have added some per the instructions from the icp test. I am still having problems with my corals dying. Now my Scoly and brain corals are starting to recede. I’ve talked with my lfs and researched a lot. I can’t really pin down a reason and I have done a couple water changes as well. I’m thinking it’s bacterial and trying to use cipro again. What does everyone think?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my icp test said I was low on iodine so that is my only cause for concern but I have added some per the instructions from the icp test. I am still having problems with my corals dying. Now my Scoly and brain corals are starting to recede. I’ve talked with my lfs and researched a lot. I can’t really pin down a reason and I have done a couple water changes as well. I’m thinking it’s bacterial and trying to use cipro again. What does everyone think?
Did you do 3 doses of cipro over a 6 day period? 250mg pill for 75g tank is what I used.

Also what was your lighting par levels again?

Iodine level could affect corals over time.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re read the thread and never saw where you posted your lighting system, intensity and par numbers if known.

Coral needs nutrients, flow and light in proper ratios to thrive. You have identified several areas in your water parameters that need to be corrected. Flow is not really that difficult to gage but lights can be tricky sometimes.

OP
OP
J

jaw1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re read the thread and never saw where you posted your lighting system, intensity and par numbers if known.

Coral needs nutrients, flow and light in proper ratios to thrive. You have identified several areas in your water parameters that need to be corrected. Flow is not really that difficult to gage but lights can be tricky sometimes.
I dosed .125 ml of cipro per liter. So it was like 17.7 ml to the tank each time that I did 3 times over 6 days. I am using an ai prime 16hd. I recently checked my par and it was 50-60 on the sand bed and 120 up at the top of the rocks. I have the same light on the tank for 17 months and same flow and wave maker. Some of the corals that have died or are dying are 12-14 months old. All my problems started after I had a torch bail in January and it’s been a slow progression since.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed .125 ml of cipro per liter. So it was like 17.7 ml to the tank each time that I did 3 times over 6 days. I am using an ai prime 16hd. I recently checked my par and it was 50-60 on the sand bed and 120 up at the top of the rocks. I have the same light on the tank for 17 months and same flow and wave maker. Some of the corals that have died or are dying are 12-14 months old. All my problems started after I had a torch bail in January and it’s been a slow progression since.
Not sure what your conversion to liters compares to mine but I used a 250mg pill for 75g 3x

OP
OP
J

jaw1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what your conversion to liters compares to mine but I used a 250mg pill for 75g 3x
0830CDE8-EF0A-4D79-AFF7-04B5FEDE8835.png

I used this rate
My tank is roughly 35 gallons after accounting for rocks and sand

Last edited:

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still losing corals? Freaking shame.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0830CDE8-EF0A-4D79-AFF7-04B5FEDE8835.png

I used this rate
My tank is roughly 35 gallons after accounting for rocks and sand
Sure seems like a low dose. I dissolved a 250mg ciprofloaxin pill in 50ml of rodi and poured the whole thing into a 75g system. I did this 3x over 6 days. This is way stronger then the recipe written above because I used a whole pill each time not a few ML.

So your tank is half my size so half of what I dosed. In fact when I poured it in the powder from the pill filled the tank and corals.

OP
OP
J

jaw1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure seems like a low dose. I dissolved a 250mg ciprofloaxin pill in 50ml of rodi and poured the whole thing into a 75g system. I did this 3x over 6 days. This is way stronger then the recipe written above because I used a whole pill each time not a few ML.

So your tank is half my size so half of what I dosed. In fact when I poured it in the powder from the pill filled the tank and corals.
I’ve never read of a dose that high but I might try it. You didn’t have any effects on the fish or corals? So you dosed 750 mg total? Did all the corals start acting better immediately?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never read of a dose that high but I might try it. You didn’t have any effects on the fish or corals? So you dosed 750 mg total? Did all the corals start acting better immediately?
None of my fish or inverts struggled. I had positive reaction from my corals in less then 48 hours but I was treating for suspected BJD. I lost 7 nice corals when my tank was young to BJD and then months later I saw the same thing starting again and immediately went with ciprofloaxin and did not lose any corals. You don't have BJD because it kills corals fast like 24 to 48 hours. Yours are declining slowly over time so if you have your parameters correct now and still do not see any positive signs then there may be a bacterial problem but it wouldn't hit the whole tank simultaneously in my opinion. Was your salinity good on your ICP? Did you get magnesium up to at least 1350 now?

Using cipro will have no negative affects on your tank but it also may not be the solution to your underlying dilemma either. I personally think your par is a little low to. I like 75 to 100 on the sandbed. 100 to 250 in the middle and 250 to 400 up top.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Im not keen on cipro for euphyllia which it will likely stress the coral. There a few things to know when it comes to any euphyllia care. Lighting and water flow very important when it comes to recession and polyp bailout.
I asked about age of tank because hammer and euphyllia require STABLE conditions. New tanks are subject to swings. One of them is calcium. If low or unstable, rarely will euphyllia survive. Location also important. If lights too bright or too dim- they will suffer. Location as far as flow is also important. Too much flow will destroy them over time. The polyps should sway in the current, but not sustain so much pressure they are constantly bent over their skeleton. Too much flow will tear the polyps (worst case) and cause the polyps do not extend in the first place (best case). So, don’t give them too much flow.
Hammer is Not a starter coral and is a moderately challenging species to care for. The large and delicate polyps have a need for stable water parameters, moderate water flow, regular feedings, and the need to test for and maintain calcium levels above 400ppm which puts these great corals in the category of moderate care level.
I believe tank may not be mature enough to support these guys but now you have them and key will be to keep your numbers stable.
Recommended parameters are:
Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .10
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
mG 1300
Alk 8-11
CA 400- 440

OP
OP
J

jaw1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not keen on cipro for euphyllia which it will likely stress the coral. There a few things to know when it comes to any euphyllia care. Lighting and water flow very important when it comes to recession and polyp bailout.
I asked about age of tank because hammer and euphyllia require STABLE conditions. New tanks are subject to swings. One of them is calcium. If low or unstable, rarely will euphyllia survive. Location also important. If lights too bright or too dim- they will suffer. Location as far as flow is also important. Too much flow will destroy them over time. The polyps should sway in the current, but not sustain so much pressure they are constantly bent over their skeleton. Too much flow will tear the polyps (worst case) and cause the polyps do not extend in the first place (best case). So, don’t give them too much flow.
Hammer is Not a starter coral and is a moderately challenging species to care for. The large and delicate polyps have a need for stable water parameters, moderate water flow, regular feedings, and the need to test for and maintain calcium levels above 400ppm which puts these great corals in the category of moderate care level.
I believe tank may not be mature enough to support these guys but now you have them and key will be to keep your numbers stable.
Recommended parameters are:
Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .10
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
mG 1300
Alk 8-11
CA 400- 440
You don’t think a 17 month tank is mature enough?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 36 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 61 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back