Euphyllia Corals... Verdict on Flow???

Euphyllia Corals Flow Rates... What's your flow rates?

• Super high, Tentacles get blasted around.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Medium Flow, tentacles moves around randomly pulsating at different speeds

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • Low Flow, tentacles super inflate and just gradually move around.

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,
So what's the verdict on flow rates for LPS tanks, specifically Euphyllia dominant corals and tanks???
I have recently converted one of my displays to LPS dominant, from sps and have been playing with my flow rates to make all the corals happy. Was curious what others opinions and success stories are. I have read people saying they love flow. Others say less flow more polyp extension. What is working for you???

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,
So what's the verdict on flow rates for LPS tanks, specifically Euphyllia dominant corals and tanks???
I have recently converted one of my displays to LPS dominant, from sps and have been playing with my flow rates to make all the corals happy. Was curious what others opinions and success stories are. I have read people saying they love flow. Others say less flow more polyp extension. What is working for you???

Wide, indirect flow; they will accustom themselves to all but surf like conditions given enough time as long as the PH is not directly punching them. Ime anyway.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a video of my 6 gallon. I had 4 of these guys in here, 2 on each side. I did a experiment with flow on them. 2 on the right are in almost no flow and medium, they do just fine, 1 on the left is in a semi high flow area, extension is the same as the low flow. I had 1 behind that in high flow, he didn't like it very much, even after 2 months. I put him in one of my other tanks and his extension was the same as the others the next day. So to me they can tolerate a lot of flow, but seem happiest in low to med/high.

inthesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep them at very low flow and they seem to like it. This is my bc 29, no power heads only flown is from the return.

Attachments

• 60F6DE55-CA2C-48B7-94B8-B4CC6FFF048E.MOV
    85.7 MB

jaxredsoxfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think it has to do with the individual coral. I've had torches that liked really high flow, and some that I had to move to lower flowing areas. I usually start in lower flow areas and work them up in flow until I find the point they are happy.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.5%
Back