Euphyllia cristata has not opened up yet

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of weeks ago (20 januari 2023) I bought (what I assume must be) the Euphyllia cristata. In the first picture you can see how it looked like when I bought it, but in the following pictures you see it gets puffy, but doesn't open up like the first image (which would be in my aquarium). I have the Euphyllia cristata near the bottom of my tank, in the middle of my tank. My flow is mainly targetted at the surface of my tank, so there is some flow, but not that much. The yellow you see is from the sun, however even without the sun and regardless of the amount of blue or white light, it does not really open up much. The only time the green really becomes visible would be when I have my lights completely turned blue.

My values are:
Po4 = 0,5
NO3 = +/- 25 (trying to reduce it together with PO4)
PH = 8,15
kh = 11,2
Ca = 435
Mg = 1425
nh3 = 0
Salinity = 1025

bought.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-02-11 at 16.20.15.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-02-11 at 16.20.13.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-02-11 at 16.20.11.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A couple of weeks ago (20 januari 2023) I bought (what I assume must be) the Euphyllia cristata. In the first picture you can see how it looked like when I bought it, but in the following pictures you see it gets puffy, but doesn't open up like the first image (which would be in my aquarium). I have the Euphyllia cristata near the bottom of my tank, in the middle of my tank. My flow is mainly targetted at the surface of my tank, so there is some flow, but not that much. The yellow you see is from the sun, however even without the sun and regardless of the amount of blue or white light, it does not really open up much. The only time the green really becomes visible would be when I have my lights completely turned blue.

My values are:
Po4 = 0,5
NO3 = +/- 25 (trying to reduce it together with PO4)
PH = 8,15
kh = 11,2
Ca = 435
Mg = 1425
nh3 = 0
Salinity = 1025

bought.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-02-11 at 16.20.15.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-02-11 at 16.20.13.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-02-11 at 16.20.11.jpeg
Phos and alk are elevated. Placement best at lower third of tank under moderate light and water flow

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phos and alk are elevated. Placement best at lower third of tank under moderate light and water flow
So I should lower my phospate and alk? If so, how much would you recommend for alk? I know phos has to be around 0.05

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not a Euphyllia cristata, as there are no exert septa. Judging by the color scheme, that looks more like a Fimbriaphyllia.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I should lower my phospate and alk? If so, how much would you recommend for alk? I know phos has to be around 0.05
Alk- do not dose any and phos- Reduce feedings especially with coral foods and coral appears to be Frammer not cristata

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk- do not dose any and phos- Reduce feedings especially with coral foods and coral appears to be Frammer not cristata
Please take a look at the following video I made in regards to the movement in the water. Although it's very difficult to see due to the amount of blue, you can get an indication of how much flow there would be. I also made a video as a reference for other corals(?) which are close by. Maybe any useful (additional) information in regards to the lighting: the first hour of the day it's completely blue and the last hour as well (full blue spectrum during the 2 videos). Throughout the day I start with white after the hour of full blue and the gradually build up the blue spectrum.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Video 2023-02-12 at 20.27.19 (1).mp4
    1.3 MB
  • WhatsApp Video 2023-02-12 at 20.27.19.mp4
    1.6 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please take a look at the following video I made in regards to the movement in the water. Although it's very difficult to see due to the amount of blue, you can get an indication of how much flow there would be. I also made a video as a reference for other corals(?) which are close by. Maybe any useful (additional) information in regards to the lighting: the first hour of the day it's completely blue and the last hour as well (full blue spectrum during the 2 videos). Throughout the day I start with white after the hour of full blue and the gradually build up the blue spectrum.
Cut flow down a little

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is the flow cut enough like this? I filmed it in white light this time.
Lower the coral. Part of issue is that its in the path of flow which makes it too much. It looks ok with that flow but flow also can cause the coral to stress and recess.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower the coral. Part of issue is that its in the path of flow which makes it too much. It looks ok with that flow but flow also can cause the coral to stress and recess.
First off, sorry for the blue light. I'll see whether I can make a video tomorrow under white light.
Second of all, I lowered it, so it wouldn't be in the path of the flow. The first part of the video is a coral(?) which is right next to it, but gives a better idea of the flow. Next to it you see the coral I am trying to put in the right spot. Would this be good enough flow? The previous spot didn't work unfortunately, regardless of how long it was there and regardless of the wavemakers I had. May I ask how long you let a coral sit in a certain spot, before you decide to move it to a different one when it isn't happy? Could any bacteria be a reason it isn't opening? As in: Would it be worth to give the coral a dip? If so, what dip do you recommend? I've been thinking about using redsea dipX. Opinion? Tips? Tricks?

parameters:
nitrate: 15-20 ppm (salifert)
po4: 0,06 (hanna checker ulr)
light: 3 AI hydra 26 HD (David Saksby preset)
Alk: 12,1 (trying to reduce)
Ca: 400 (trying to raise)
mg: 1275

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• flow.mp4
    4.2 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
First off, sorry for the blue light. I'll see whether I can make a video tomorrow under white light.
Second of all, I lowered it, so it wouldn't be in the path of the flow. The first part of the video is a coral(?) which is right next to it, but gives a better idea of the flow. Next to it you see the coral I am trying to put in the right spot. Would this be good enough flow? The previous spot didn't work unfortunately, regardless of how long it was there and regardless of the wavemakers I had. May I ask how long you let a coral sit in a certain spot, before you decide to move it to a different one when it isn't happy? Could any bacteria be a reason it isn't opening? As in: Would it be worth to give the coral a dip? If so, what dip do you recommend? I've been thinking about using redsea dipX. Opinion? Tips? Tricks?

parameters:

Thanks in advance
I let it sit 5-7 days
I’m on the highway but will view video when I get home
Numbers lion very acceptable

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

parameters:

Thanks in advance
yes- this is a little high for them. If i did not mention- Drop the flow 5%. If better , good. If not. . 3 days later drop another 5% but besides flow, ASSURE your no3 and po4 are Not elevated.
Dip if it is shrunken or starting to recede.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes- this is a little high for them. If i did not mention- Drop the flow 5%. If better , good. If not. . 3 days later drop another 5% but besides flow, ASSURE your no3 and po4 are Not elevated.
Dip if it is shrunken or starting to recede.
Wow, even this is too much flow?! I'll lower the flow and keep you up to date. Thanks for the help :)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wow, even this is too much flow?! I'll lower the flow and keep you up to date. Thanks for the help :)
Subtle to moderate is best. The issue is, these have delicate polyps and you risk Ticking them off into recession or tearing the polyps off the skeleton

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subtle to moderate is best. The issue is, these have delicate polyps and you risk Ticking them off into recession or tearing the polyps off the skeleton
May I ask for a picture of your aquarium? To see where you have put your coral(s) and where the flow directs to? I have the AOW 9 and the AOW 5 of Jebao pointing at each other in the length of the aquarium. The aquarium is 150cm long. The AOW9 is higher up and the AOW 5 is lower. I bought 2 different ones because I needed a bit more flow for surface agitation as well. The AOW 5 is lower and therefore closer to the corals. I have ordered a dip (from Red Sea), because even though imo the flow now should be right, it's still not really opening and even retracting, which I assume must be due to it being lower in the tank.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May I ask for a picture of your aquarium? To see where you have put your coral(s) and where the flow directs to? I have the AOW 9 and the AOW 5 of Jebao pointing at each other in the length of the aquarium. The aquarium is 150cm long. The AOW9 is higher up and the AOW 5 is lower. I bought 2 different ones because I needed a bit more flow for surface agitation as well. The AOW 5 is lower and therefore closer to the corals. I have ordered a dip (from Red Sea), because even though imo the flow now should be right, it's still not really opening and even retracting, which I assume must be due to it being lower in the tank.
600g progress j.jpg
660g 3.30a.jpg
1680049046421.png
1680049058777.png

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... You should call David Attenborough and tell him to come by and talk about your tank in his soothing voice. All kidding aside, that's one crazy tank you got there. Looks amazing. I'll keep you up-to-date about my frammer and hopefully it will be better. I lowered the flow just a bit and now it has that very gentle swaying motion. Tomorrow the RedSea dipX comes in, so yeah... Fingers crossed. I'd love to have a couple of euphillias.

Back