Euphyllia dying

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi people. So in the last 3 weeks I've lost 5 euphyllia. I bought 4 new ones which were 3 torches and 1 walking hammer. 1 of the torches and the walking hammer lasted a week and both receded and disappeared from their skeleton.
Since then I have lost another torch and one of the heads of my 11 head frogspawn that I've had for over 2 years and has been through alk swings, temp swings and never bothered by anything, has now gone.

Here is the ICP I sent off last Friday and got results today.....

Lighting has gone up by 5% in the last 2 months but worried this was a factor I turned them back down but apart from that, no flow changes and I don't have euphyllia eating angels or pests. Most of the corals seem fine, it just seems to be as 1 goes, another one slowly retracts until it's also gone like they're slowly teasing me.

Thanks

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting, flow and parameters are the three things to rule out (including actual lighting PAR levels, placement, temperature, etc.)
Well I'm told my parameters are ok. Flow hasn't changed in months and lighting increased 5% but I turned it back down again.

I am literally clutching at straws

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm told my parameters are ok. Flow hasn't changed in months and lighting increased 5% but I turned it back down again.

I am literally clutching at straws
You need an actual PAR meter to assess whether your lighting is too much or too little.

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some pics will help, you're really not giving us much to go on....
I will try and get pics. Wasn't successful yesterday because I couldn't get anything in focus with blues on, maybe I'll try it with whites.

I wondered if Bismuth may have been as issue?
All other parameters seem ok according to the ICP.
Thing is, nothing has really changed in my tank for months so it's hard to know what to tell you because apart from the euphyllia I've mentioned, all other corals which include leathers, gap, mushrooms and sps as well, all seem fine and are splitting or showing fresh skeletal growth.

I'll upload some pics tonight in the hope someone might spot something?

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. Pictures as promised.
One of the pictures shows my buzz light-year frogspawn of which 1 of the heads has lost its flesh and all the rest are puffy and happy. There is another picture of a purple/blue hammer looking very shrivelled and sorry for itself.
The rest are random pics taken if other corals to see if you guys can spot anything?

Attachments

• 20230712_183658.JPG
    20230712_183658.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230712_183649.JPG
    20230712_183649.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so only 2 pics attached. I'll try again. The first pic is the one of my frogspawn where you can see the white of the skeleton of one head
20230712_183623.JPG
20230712_183616.JPG
20230712_183609.JPG

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is really only effecting your euphyllia I would suspect a bacteria issue. Bismuth is typically non toxic, but if those levels are indeed correct and not a test error, its unknown to me if those could be harmful to the fleshy lps. Have you seen any type of jelly looking substance on the dead heads or in the heads that are alive that could indicate brown jelly disease?

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is really only effecting your euphyllia I would suspect a bacteria issue. Bismuth is typically non toxic, but if those levels are indeed correct and not a test error, its unknown to me if those could be harmful to the fleshy lps. Have you seen any type of jelly looking substance on the dead heads or in the heads that are alive that could indicate brown jelly disease?
One of the first corals to go did start off getting a bit of BJD but I used a turkey baster to suck it off and dosed some antibiotic mix (can't remember the name but it's the one used against BJD) I didn't see a return of it so assumed all is well. The annoying this is it's like 1 head of a multi head coral, then 1 head of another one over the other side of the tank. Nothing adds up.
I've been doing small water changes every other day to dilute anything that may be in their that's an unknown and I'm due another bigger water change later once my salt is mixed.

My only other thoughts are if one of my fish is starting to nip at them but I can't workout which

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back