Euphyllia eating flatworm, survive without euphyllia corals..?

alfieh0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad problem with euphyllia eating flatworm, which ended up killing all my euphyllia corals.

It’s been about 6 months, and the rest of my non-euphyllia corals are all healthy and I would love to get some torch corals again, maybe some hammers too.

My question: is the flatworm still in the tank, does it only live off euphyllia, or can it eat and survive off another diet. (Therefore since it’s had no euphyllia to eat, it has now been eradicated.)

Also would 6 months be enough time to confidently confirm no eggs or flatworm are still in the tank.

Thanks!

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure that any actual factual data exists to answer your questions fully.

Here are my thoughts.
The EEFW are assumed to only eat Euphyllia. Therefore if you remove their only food source they should be eliminated.
EEFW are likely to have a similar gestational period as other flatworms (7 to 10 days) egg to hatch based on what limited information I have been able to find (mostly anecdotal at best)
So theoretically, after a period of 10 days with no food source in the tank, there shouldn't be any. Now, that assumes they have no free swimming larval stage or other stages.

I have dealt with EEFW several times with imported coral. My best advice is to dip them thoroughly no matter where they come from, and then put them in an isolated coral QT for 30 days. An ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 81 77.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back