OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have leds, a frogspawn and a hammer coral. I feed lrs reef frenzy or occasionally fertility frenzy
Thank you! added you in.

No problem, I'm guessing that when you start the new thread we'll post our baseline numbers and pics to that?

absolutely beginning pics with parameters and lighting intensity (you could also mention flow and placement). Then the exact type of food (if you broadcast, what food do you use and if you spot feed and also broad cast then what food etc). After that, you will need a pic bi-weekly as well as a parameters update if possible! It will all be explained further in the rules and guidelines of the next thread!

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think many people think feeding euphyllias is a concern. Scientific evidence has resolutions to this. It'd be inconclusive no matter the outcome.

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think many people think feeding euphyllias is a concern. Scientific evidence has resolutions to this. It'd be inconclusive no matter the outcome.

Please refrain from commenting further unless you are taking part in the challenge. There are two others at least that want to see the results. If you don't want to take part simply stop following the thread.

Thank you,

-Elio

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

What evidence are you referring to? That could be a helpful part of this conversation.

Please refrain from commenting further unless you are taking part in the challenge. There are two others at least that want to see the results. If you don't want to take part simply stop following the thread.

Thank you,

-Elio

Comments that are made in relation to the topic are fine. There's no reason to limit discussion in a public forum if it isn't breaking any rules.

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other takers for this challenge? I have LED's so I can fill in for some of the catagories if needed but we need people with mh t5 or hybrid lighting!

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What evidence are you referring to? That could be a helpful part of this conversation.

The question in the OP was "do euphyllia actually eat or benefit from feeding?".
Do euphyllia eat? yes -
Are they benefiting from feeding? yes -
Do we know how much to feed? no -

Once again we understand photosynthesis. But are we feeding too much or too little? That I think is what needs to be determined. Could the coral only want to be spot fed because lack of light? lack of small food particles? Is only eating because your system is deficient of no3 or po4? Are your Alkalinity levels going to increase growth? Calcium levels?

Will parameters match each others tanks? Do your other fish eat the food? Does your cleaner shrimp steal food? Just because of the food label, is it for that coral? LPS pellets seems to be a broad name.
When I frag my frogspawn, it grows more heads. Sometimes 6 - 8 new heads. Did I get new heads because of the stress from fragging? Is this it's resilience? Or are there enough nutrients in my system to sustain new heads with polyps?

I understand, the hobby is fun. But, it's also suppose to be educational, and making new comers concerned whether to feed or not, shouldn't be observed by a challenge that could take months or a year or so for a shoddy conclusion.

I don't want to argue and I never intended to throw off this thread. Sorry

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, the hobby is fun. But, it's also suppose to be educational, and making new comers concerned whether to feed or not, shouldn't be observed by a challenge that could take months or a year or so for a shoddy conclusion.

I don't want to argue and I never intended to throw off this thread. Sorry

As with each topic it's up to the user to discern the value of the information provided.

This is just a challenge, just like many of the Acropora grow out threads.

If members want to partake then excellent. I am interested in the topic because I have never target feed any Euphyllias, the conclusions I draw from the challenge are for my personal reference not data collection for scientific paper. Most members are qualified to evaluate the results and use the results as they see fit.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with each topic it's up to the user to discern the value of the information provided.
Agreed. Until they are possibly misled by misinterpretation.

I'm still learning. Not very familiar with some of these threads.

I am interested in the topic because I have never target feed any Euphyllias, the conclusions I draw from the challenge are for my personal reference not data collection for scientific paper. Most members are qualified to evaluate the results and use the results as they see fit.
Maybe i'm unintentionally being semantic. You aren't target feeding, but you are feeding in more ways than one. The coral is eating no matter what.

I'm reading too much into this challenge. I'll back off.

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If members want to partake then excellent. I am interested in the topic because I have never target feed any Euphyllias, the conclusions I draw from the challenge are for my personal reference not data collection for scientific paper. Most members are qualified to evaluate the results and use the results as they see fit.

I completely agree. This challenge is to accumulate data given certain requirements. How the hobbyist takes it is up to them. If someone new would like someone else to interpret the data to the best of their ability then they are more than welcome to ask! I just want to have fun with this! It will also be nice to see the growth of each euphyllia from fellow Reefers! If by making this thread Caused me to insult any one then I apologize.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Until they are possibly misled by misinterpretation.

I'm still learning. Not very familiar with some of these threads.

Maybe i'm unintentionally being semantic. You aren't target feeding, but you are feeding in more ways than one. The coral is eating no matter what.

I'm reading too much into this challenge. I'll back off.
If they are misled because of this thread then all they have to do is not target feed them plain amd simple. Yeah they will be fed using photosynthesis and whatever they catch when we do feed but to much food isn't going to kill a coral. It will either accept it or decline the food. No need for arguments or scientific thesis in the experiment. Just out of fun and experimenting.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would partake as a non target fed specimen. I know I would not have time to target feed on a normal basis. And I'd want to use one I already have rather than buy another. My space is too limited to go adding new euphillia.

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awsome what type of lights do you guys have!? @stevo01 @Triggreef . Also no need to buy a new one! I'm just going to use mine!

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch is splitting right now. I tong feed it mysis 2-3 times a week. It grabs the mysis off the tongs and moves it into the mouth. I've seen it expel the waste. Looks like a shrimp pooh.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back