Euphyllia: Hammers, Torches, & Frogspawns (what's your favorite)

Which Euphyllia Coral is your most favorite?

• Hammers

Votes: 95 24.5%
  • Torches

Votes: 206 53.2%
  • Frogspawn

Votes: 69 17.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 4.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This week on R2R we're going to be focusing on Euphyllia and for good reason! They're dang beautiful!

The Euphyllia genus consists of Hammers, Torches, & Frogspawns. The movement they provide and their ease of care make them one of the most desired types of coral in the hobby. They can either have fused wall type skeletons or branching. All Euphyllia prefer a low flow, low light area. They usually do best placed low (bottom) or off to one side of your reef. They can take up a lot of room when fully extended and can also carry long sweepers so be sure to give them plenty of buffer space from other corals. Their mouths open wide deep under their tentacles so they can be fed large diameter meaty foods. - World Wide Corals

Out of Hammers, Torches, & Frogspawns, which one is your favorite and why?

image via @TCK Corals
DSC_0614%20copy_zpsihdoevfr.jpg

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, we’ll torches are the most expensive for sure…

as a frag the torch is unbeatable,

but wall hammers are the most amazing LPS, just love how they spill out of the skeleton and can also eat whole mysid by the basterful.

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love how they all look, but torch wins it for me as it's very iconic in how I picture a home reef. Growing up a neighbor had a 200 gallon reef tank with several large torch colonies and the way they swayed in the current was very impressive. He had what I know now as a mandarin that would sit under the biggest set of torch heads and stare at those passing by.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Torch is the only Euphyllia out there. Hammers and frogspawn are now Fimbriphyllia (spelling?)

So there is only one correct answer to this poll
Fimbriaphyllia hmm...

Maybe we should have a whole new thread on that subject! Please create one as it could make for a great topic!

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so hard to choose, I love them all. I have one of each in my tank right now, they're small but growing. I'd probably pick torch. These 3 corals can touch without stinging each other? If so, I plan to get more variety and dedicate one side of my tank with them, such cool looking LPS corals.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so hard to choose, I love them all. I have one of each in my tank right now, they're small but growing. I'd probably pick torch. These 3 corals can touch without stinging each other? If so, I plan to get more variety and dedicate one side of my tank with them, such cool looking LPS corals.
Yeah when I read about the changes to taxa and probability of torches getting belligerent I gave my my cadre of torches a little distance

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
torches can't be with frogspawn or hammers

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back