Euphyllia ID?

tomderly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this Euphyllia that I purchased as a "torch", but after I brought it home it started showing characteristics of a hammer. Some of the tips definitely have the hammer shape, but most of them are shaped like Grape Coral tips. Ive been told that it could be a Frammer, but it rarely has branching tentacles. Anyone have a clue what this is?

*Pictures are in order from most recent to oldest. It has grown from one head (golfball size) to 8-12 heads (softball size) in about 6 months

Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 6.46.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 6.46.59 PM.png
IMG_2560.jpg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rule out cristata.
I wouldn’t. It’s one of those things where without a DNA profile or an examination of the skeleton by someone who really know taxonomy, it’s really just a guess. When there are hybrids or weird morphs/mutations it can be very difficult to say with certainty, and this has enough characteristics of a cristata that I don’t think it could be ruled out. I tend to think it’s more likely a Fimbriaphyllia species (or hybrid), but it’s too ambiguous to say it’s for sure not a Euphyllia. I suppose unless you’re really limited for space and placement next to other corals really matters, whether it’s a frammer or cristata is irrelevant, they have the same basic care requirements. I suppose one way to find out would be to put next to a definite hammer or torch and see what happens (not that I’m suggesting anyone do that).

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t. It’s one of those things where without a DNA profile or an examination of the skeleton by someone who really know taxonomy, it’s really just a guess. When there are hybrids or weird morphs/mutations it can be very difficult to say with certainty, and this has enough characteristics of a cristata that I don’t think it could be ruled out. I tend to think it’s more likely a Fimbriaphyllia species (or hybrid), but it’s too ambiguous to say it’s for sure not a Euphyllia. I suppose unless you’re really limited for space and placement next to other corals really matters, whether it’s a frammer or cristata is irrelevant, they have the same basic care requirements. I suppose one way to find out would be to put next to a definite hammer or torch and see what happens (not that I’m suggesting anyone do that).
Well we are obviously not getting a DNA test here and I think everybody knows that nobody can say 100% definitively. These are all Opinions.

Fimbriaphyllia imo is the best bet based on looks. I've also never seen a cristata send out sweepers like that picture.

I would rule out cristata, we all don't need to agree though. They are all still opinions.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the peach hammer I picked up a couple weeks ago..
big difference between torch and hammer, frogspawn hammer and frogspawn can touch torch will kill anything not a torch...

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 31 36.9%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back