Euthanasia?

Maya Ybry-Yagy

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey guys,
If you have a fish you are 99% sure will not make it, how do you terminate it? Is there like a euthanasia solution I can get from the vet? In the past I just let nature take its course- holding onto the 1% chance it would recover, but I would like to know the most humane way to end things if death is imminent.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Sashaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Clove oil also works well just to knock a fish out for some quick dental surgery. I've used it on my puffer fish. :)

fish farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
The clove oil/alcohol mix is 1 part clove oil to 8 parts drinking alcohol. Light doses are good for surgery and other handling.

ScottR

Surfing somewhere.....
View Badges
Reaction score
I always keep clove oil on hand for use in lieu of neosporin. Plus it smells good. It’ll burn your skin, so be careful if you’re sensitive.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
You can also freeze them. It happens slowly and they just go to sleep first.

ScottR

Surfing somewhere.....
View Badges
Reaction score
848C0042-5538-4D38-BDEB-2F9A019B9DC6.jpeg
I buy this stuff online and it’s less than $5 a bottle. Lots of uses. Toothaches, diffusing, disinfectant, and the list goes on.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score

d2mini

View Badges
Reaction score
I never have. If we're talking in the display (not QT), my fish just disappear, letting nature take its course.
They just become a meal for various other critters. I find that one of the most interesting things about reef tanks compared to freshwater.

OP
M

Maya Ybry-Yagy

View Badges
Reaction score
I never have. If we're talking in the display (not QT), my fish just disappear, letting nature take its course.
They just become a meal for various other critters. I find that one of the most interesting things about reef tanks compared to freshwater.
Mine too but if I have a noticeably sick or injured fish, I just wanted an option. My angel tore up a copperband butterfly but left it alive enough to look horrifying. Idk how much they actually feel, but it looked like pain and we have kids so... good to have an option to help.

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
+1 on Clove Oil, wish I could have done it for my betta, but any fish that I might have to in the future I’ll put in clove oil to make it less stressful.

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Tricaine methanesulfonate, it's a generic for Finquel... This is a fish anesthetic, and can also be used for euthanasia. You can either use a low dose to put them under, and then freeze them, or use a high enough dose to be lethal; it will basically stop their respiration, much like an opioid overdose in humans. It's very gentle.

Have you ever been accused of talking to much about your tank?

• Yes (tell us about it)

Votes: 191 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 166 46.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
LittleFish Shops