Euthanasia?

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
If you have a fish you are 99% sure will not make it, how do you terminate it? Is there like a euthanasia solution I can get from the vet? In the past I just let nature take its course- holding onto the 1% chance it would recover, but I would like to know the most humane way to end things if death is imminent.

ArizonaAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As always, make sure you've done everything you can to treat it. If so, then I'd look into clove oil. Not sure the exact ratio off the top of my head but there is a certain amount that will euthanize a fish. I'm sure there is a thread here somewhere!

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clove oil also works well just to knock a fish out for some quick dental surgery. I've used it on my puffer fish. :)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep clove oil on hand for use in lieu of neosporin. Plus it smells good. It’ll burn your skin, so be careful if you’re sensitive.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can also freeze them. It happens slowly and they just go to sleep first.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
848C0042-5538-4D38-BDEB-2F9A019B9DC6.jpeg
I buy this stuff online and it’s less than $5 a bottle. Lots of uses. Toothaches, diffusing, disinfectant, and the list goes on.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never have. If we're talking in the display (not QT), my fish just disappear, letting nature take its course.
They just become a meal for various other critters. I find that one of the most interesting things about reef tanks compared to freshwater.

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never have. If we're talking in the display (not QT), my fish just disappear, letting nature take its course.
They just become a meal for various other critters. I find that one of the most interesting things about reef tanks compared to freshwater.
Mine too but if I have a noticeably sick or injured fish, I just wanted an option. My angel tore up a copperband butterfly but left it alive enough to look horrifying. Idk how much they actually feel, but it looked like pain and we have kids so... good to have an option to help.

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Clove Oil, wish I could have done it for my betta, but any fish that I might have to in the future I’ll put in clove oil to make it less stressful.

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tricaine methanesulfonate, it's a generic for Finquel... This is a fish anesthetic, and can also be used for euthanasia. You can either use a low dose to put them under, and then freeze them, or use a high enough dose to be lethal; it will basically stop their respiration, much like an opioid overdose in humans. It's very gentle.

Back