Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dogshowgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let them go and feel confident that it is the kindness thing you can do for them. I use clove oil and it seems to work well, it is also easy to use. I do freeze afterwards, it makes me feel better. I also like clove oil for the sedation properties, I have used it several times for small procedures like skin scrapes and draining a bad eye at one point, and at that lower dosage it works well and the fish seem to recover nicely. I like the multipurpose of it.

OP
OP
Steve Jones

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever wrapped a fish in a napkin and placed it in the freezer?? That is how I have euthanasia fish in the past.. I hope it was humane..

blizz

I'd have to say that doesn't sound too humane. While the slowly freezing part may not be too bad (but certainly not good), I think the fish will die of "asphyxiation" - or lack of oxygen, long before it freezes to death. Asphyxiation is not a pleasant method of death.

aquablizz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually told by our local aquarium store that this was a humane way to euthanize a fish as it slows down their metabolism gradually. I hope to never have to repeat this but don't really see much difference when you have to do the deed... Actually I think it would be much quicker then using some clove oil concoction but I have to defer to some of the experts on this site.
I too am sorry for your loss of the fish but we all know when it's time to stop the suffering.. Hope I didn't offend anyone..
blizz

OP
OP
Steve Jones

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually told by our local aquarium store that this was a humane way to euthanize a fish as it slows down their metabolism gradually. I hope to never have to repeat this but don't really see much difference when you have to do the deed... Actually I think it would be much quicker then using some clove oil concoction but I have to defer to some of the experts on this site.
I too am sorry for your loss of the fish but we all know when it's time to stop the suffering.. Hope I didn't offend anyone..
blizz

This was a new experience for me - but my understanding is the Clove Oil is an anesthetic for the fish. It puts it to sleep. Then as you increase the dosage, it slows everything down, eventually causing all processes to stop. Much the same as if an anesthesiologist slowly cranked up the dial on someone undergoing surgery. It's not really about the speed of ending the animals life as much as it is doing it without stressing or causing discomfort or fear. Heck - if it was about speed I could toss it in the blender. :eek:

You didn't offend me at all - and I hope I'm not offending you. Freezing the fish in water seems more humane than taking out out of the water and freezing it while it struggles to breathe.

But ultimately, it's what we are comfortable with and what we feel good about doing. For me, the Clove Oil was the best option. I have another sick, blind one (Wrasse) that I need to euthanize. I went ahead and ordered some MS-222 for that. If nothing else I hope I can learn things from the losses while still being as humane as possible.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can withstand a big drop in temperature, so it's not as quick as you think. If you're just putting them in a wet paper towel, they are going hypoxic, before they go "dormant".

Last edited:

djreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being cold blooded animals their body temperature drops gradually, and they just drift off into the big reef in the sky. It is very humane. In fact even humans who die this way often are found with smiles on their faces, as they experience an intense warming sensation right before they pass. German soldiers found in he Russian tundra during WWII exibited this when discovered. Those who were lucky enough to be revived reported having this sensation and then drifting off, only to wake up in a hospital tent some time later.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being wrapped in a wet paper towel does not cause a drifting off... they die of hypoxiation.

A group of my people froze on the ice, being separated from their boat by a storm (and a bunch of errors). There were survivors to share their stories and it was not peaceful. They died horrible deaths.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have found it useful to use both Clove and MS-222 to avoid handling stress when drawing blood. Articles like this one show that Clove and Ms-222 are in of themselves, not as stressful as being handled. That makes it pretty "gentle" in my book.

"Wagner, G., Singer, T., & Scott McKinley, R. (2003). The ability of clove oil and MS‐222 to minimize handling stress in rainbow trout ( Oncorhynchus mykiss Walbaum). Aquaculture Research, 34(13),"

But there are tonnes of research on this stuff.

"Iversen, M., Finstad, B., McKinley, R., & Eliassen, R. (2003). The efficacy of metomidate, clove oil, Aqui-S™ and Benzoak® as anaesthetics in Atlantic salmon ( Salmo salar L.) smolts, and their potential stress-reducing capacity. Aquaculture, 221(1), 549-566."

Last edited:

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's another that lists the FDA approved methods, which say the same thing. I'm still looking for that one. It's been a number of years since I've read either of them.

OP
OP
Steve Jones

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's another that lists the FDA approved methods, which say the same thing. I'm still looking for that one. It's been a number of years since I've read either of them.

Was looking over the AVMA document you linked to, particularly the MS-222 section as I am going to try that with my remaining sick fish, and noticed that it says under "Disadvantages" -- "(6) MS 222 is not FDA approved for use as an agent in euthanasia." But the AVMA does say it is "acceptable".

nex64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the fish out back like big Lenny.

Flushing a fish down the toilet is the most torturous death you could put upon a fishie. RIP

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not freeze my fish, nor can I boil a lobster anymore. I, have had a few jump out of the top and die while I was at work, before the top. Not, sure I could do anything to hasten its death. If in pain, not sure. For dogs, medicate and PTS if hopeless. But, not sure with fish. Sorry, can't be more help.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back