Evansi or Carberryi Anthias?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AquaFresh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AquaFresh

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 28, 2017
Messages
26
Reaction score
7
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I ordered carberryi anthias on live aquaria to replenish two I lost a month ago from jumping out of my tank (Using a lid now on my tank). Just received my order this morning and noticed these look completely different than the ones from last time. These look more like Evansi than Carberryi.

20200729_164653.jpg

They are already in QT and aren't eating any frozen food, which resembles more a Evansi in terms of their higher difficulty when it comes to feeding.

They also are completely different then the lone surviving Carberryi Anthia that I have in my DT. These are the ones I ordered from LA six months ago and today
20200729_172600.png


Maybe I got a different variety? Anyways just want to know which species I am dealing with as I never had the experience with Evansi Anthias and read they are alot harder to keep. Thanks!
 
Those are carberryi. Carberryi look different from different regions. Easiest way to ID carberryi is to look for the double dorsal spikes like in the pic you attached. Fishbase lists this pic as from Maldives:

Necar_m0.jpg
 
The mouth/head structure and first dorsal rays of evansi are different.

1110066.jpg
 
The mouth/head structure and first dorsal rays of evansi are different.

1110066.jpg
Ok thanks! I appreciate the help. I am glad I wasn't sent a different fish!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new