Evaporation

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I top up my tank with RO water when the water evaporates because I have a roofless tank but because I am going on holiday for two weeks would I just be able to put a pain of glass that fully covers the tank and will that stop all of the evaporation and therefore not make the water more salty ?

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I top up my tank with RO water when the water evaporates because I have a roofless tank but because I am going on holiday for two weeks would I just be able to put a pain of glass that fully covers the tank and will that stop all of the evaporation and therefore not make the water more salty ?
Need pics of tank and sump if you have one.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adding a glass panel will limit evaporation. Unfortunately it will also trap heat, limit oxygenation in the water, and slightly reduce the impact of the lighting. The preferred option for many reef keepers in this situation is to use an ATO (automated pump or gravity fed). Good luck with whatever you choose and safe travels!

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will greatly reduce but not necessarily stop all the evaporation. Keep in-mind that the tanks still needs to get air to oxygenate the water.
There won’t be any fish or coral in there my tank will be cycling at this point it’s just to reduce as much evaporation as possible

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There won’t be any fish or coral in there my tank will be cycling at this point it’s just to reduce as much evaporation as possible
If there’s no livestock in there and you’re just cycling then turn off heating, pumps, etc and maybe leave power heads on. The bacteria will be fine with whatever temperature you keep your house at and won’t care about any salinity shock when you top it off when you get back.

Once you have livestock in there then you’ll need to look at either an ATO or hire someone to come by and check in on the tank if you’re away for long.

Buckyboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any hitchhikers that came in on the rock that you want to keep then the heat may affect them (brittlestars, etc)

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there’s no livestock in there and you’re just cycling then turn off heating, pumps, etc and maybe leave power heads on. The bacteria will be fine with whatever temperature you keep your house at and won’t care about any salinity shock when you top it off when you get back.

Once you have livestock in there then you’ll need to look at either an ATO or hire someone to come by and check in on the tank if you’re away for long.
Do you know of any low price ATOs UK

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%

Back