Even LED Tank Illumination: Adding a Side Panel Reflector

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a JBJ Nano Cube 28g with a custom LED array. After watching the BRStv coverage of the WWC tank setups, and the use of T5s and diffusers to provide more even tank lighting, I was wondering if there was something to be done to provide more side lighting for the corals in the JBJ tank.

As an experiment, I placed an aluminum foil reflector on the left side panel of the tank as experiment to see how the lighting inside of the tank would be affected. The photos below were taken with an iPhone and not edited. With the reflector (bottom image), the lighting appears to be more even and warmer.

Anyone else tried side reflectors to even out aquarium lighting? Whether yes or no, would like to hear your ideas and feedback!

JBJnoReflector_7oct.jpg
JBJwithReflector_7oct.jpg

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along. That does look like a drastic difference!

I'm wondering if this is a concept best suited to nano aquarium setups and perhaps the thread would have found better traction in a different forum. Those of us who build LED arrays into the hood of aquariums like the JBJ Nano Cube 28g have limited options for "diffused" or side/under lighting of corals...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back