Ever been attacked?

Okeewanfonokee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what is everyone's worst encounter, or dangerous moment in a tank environment and in the ocean? What attacked/bit/stung you?
For me the only thing that has ever gone out of its way to attack me in my tank was a pistol shrimp.The pop didnt really hurt but the combo of the noise and what felt like a pinch on my finger caused me to pull my hand out of the tank and sling water all over my celing and TV.
In the ocean, I was swimming/snorkel in Jupiter inlet, Dubois State park I think, and was looking at hundreds of little fish and inverts along a rock wall when I noticed about a foot in front of me what looked to be a bunch of white No. 2 pencils. Just for a moment I thought what in the heck is that and realized the white items were slowly moving in a pattern and then I saw they were attached to something green/brown, then I saw the eye. I have no idea how big this moray was, but by his head I thought he must have been 4 to 5 ft.long, the white pencils I saw were his teeth slowly moving to his breathing. I was not harmed but I coughed up salt water for a week. The only real attack in the ocean I have been victim to has come from damsels, twice.
Has anything bit you in your tank? Got stung from anything? I know the hobby has some dangerous critters, was just wondering what encounters others have had.

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the tank nothing yet. but in the ocean i was attacked by a portugese man-o-war when i was a teenager. it wrapped its self all around my leg and was actually horrible, maybe i am a whimp but it was very painful.
also when we went to curacao, na in june i think i might have gotten stung by some sort of coral. fire coral? or something i had marks on the front of my lower leg. looked sorta like rug burns or something and a little bloody. hurt pretty good.

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was stung by a fox face on Friday. It wasn’t anything compared to being stung by a lionfish a few years ago. The pain feels much like a bee sting but about ten times as intense. I was stung in my hand and then felt the pane go up my arm and into my shoulder. It took about 24hr for the pain to go away. I would not recommend trying it and I am even more cautious after the experience.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o okay i was gonna say maybe i didnt get stung that bad by my fox face lol yea i have heard nasty nasty stores about lion fish stings

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fox face sting only hurt for about 30min and it wasn't that bad same as a bee sting. It was not even bad enough to stop me from finishing the tank I was cleaning.

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i first started reefing, my clownfish bit me pretty hard, hard enough for me to bleed a little
recently ive noticed that my carpet nem stings but thats only because i had a cut on my arm and i didnt realize the area brushed against it
it made the cut swell up a little for about a week or so but its all better now

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously now don't laugh. Our Magnavore magnet has attacked me several times. Looks like I would learn to be more careful.
Those things are dangerous.

Jack

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been stung by hydroids when snorkeling and been attacked by fire ants on several occasions and been bitten by my clownfish a few times. Also been squirt in the eye by zoo goo

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For in my tank, my maroon clown is mean. Before I just moved some rocks around, he had some solid territory and didnt like my hand too much so he used to charge me. Either that or getting stung by a bristleworm.

In the ocean, we were spearfishing and I got a small snapper, and on my way back up some bullsharks moved into the area. About 3 of em from different areas came up nearby, the biggest being roughly 14-15 feet long. We got back in the boat just fine but it was pretty scary, as we're getting higher the sharks were below us.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maroon was the meanest, but never broke the skin. My wife's Cinnamon momma (Jaws) cut me one day. Got hit by a GBTA with several tentacles on a scar and my knuckles turned red for a week. Freakin remora in the ocean...

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never met anyone ells that was stung by a lion fish. If anyone has or knows or knows of someone who has I would like to hear about it. :)

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pm Gmaquarium g got stung BAD from what he told me. Funny thing is when i go into his store he "shows" me how brave his is by touching all the lion fish LOL

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, quite brave. but it was a young little lion fish. i wonder if G would be brave enough to play with a 15" fully mature volitian lion

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine dwarf volitian got me 2 times since weve been on good terms but hit hurt for about 3 days horribly bad IMO worse than any jelly fish ive ever been hit by lol

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 47 39.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 61 51.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back