OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff binds the first negatively charged thing that it can find. It is unlikely that the product in the amounts dosed would get much further than the host and down into the tissue. Again, no proof, just some supposition based on more harm being done to macro than zoox (dinos or microalgae) and reading about the nature of the product. Dinos out in the open do appear affected.

Would the dinoflagellates in coral be protected from Vibrant by virtue of being inside the coral?

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want to do this. This is what will actually happen

1. Algaefix indiscriminately kills hair, bubble, cheato, ulva, film. Some corals will be sensitive and be damaged or killed

2. Fluconozole indiscriminately kills bryopsis, turf, complex macroalgaes.

3. You are left with only cyano, diatoms, and dinos. Since you probably don't have enough silicates to support diatoms, you are actually just left with cyano and dinos.

4. A lot of your corals will be damaged or killed by the ensuing dino bloom.

5. You get frustrated, remove the algaecides without actually fixing the root cause of your problem, and algae grows back with a vengeance when trying to get rid of the dinos.

6. You realize you should have just done a better job with husbandry and gotten a larger cleanup crew.

I would suggest just skipping all that nonsense and go straight to step 6. Algaecides and fluconozole IMO should only be used when a type of algae (like bryopsis, caulerpa or ulva) that cannot be manually removed or targeted by your cleanup crew takes hold.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the dinoflagellates in coral be protected from Vibrant by virtue of being inside the coral?

...just a guess since the substance would have to get through tissue or membranes to hit the zoox and those are almost certainly negatively charged. Imagine that some of the substance could make it and the amount would increase with larger doses, but probably a small amount?

Those with coral loss with vibrant did not ever seem to report better or brighter colors or more contrast, which is typical of lowering zoox amounts. Don't remember much bleaching either. ...just coral death maybe from damaged hosts.

Maybe none of this makes sense. Again, just some thoughts based on anecdotes and observations.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In a discussion with @taricha about developing a safe dosing rate for Vibrant and Algaefix, I wondered about using Vibrant/Algaefix plus another remedy. The rationale is that Vibrant and Algaefix seem to work by compromising algae cell walls or membranes within 24 hours. With the algae in this weaken state, would the algaecide activity of H2O2, fluconazole or other cure be enhanced?

The potential upside of this combination therapy is lower concentrations of these biocides. The potential downside, there could be enhanced toxicity to other organisms in the aquarium (so don’t try this idea outside the test tube for now).

Thoughts?
1. Most people do not need either algaefix or vibrant.
2. Yes - it makes sense that adding another algae-effective medication would be enhanced with either one - Just like adding clavulanate to ampicillin --->. Augmentin makes a difference. Or adding something that destroys the cell wall of a bacteria - added to another medication (AKA - treatment with multiple medications for months for Tuberculosis) - yes - it should work.

Yes - lower concentrations should be possible. Yes there could be enhanced toxicity - but - to me this would be low risk.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not sure we have a good understanding of what sort of properties the barrier holding dinos into corals exerts on the coming and going of chemicals in the bulk water.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back