Everybody hates the bannerfish.

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally found a schooling bannerfish. (heniochus diphreutes)
Wanted one since I had a red sea bannerfish who absolutely loved aptasia - best aptasia eater I've ever seen.

So I found this little guy about the size of a quarter and thought maybe he would take to aptasia as well and as long as he was small - he couldn't get them all and might - just might - leave the corals alone.

Every single fish has taken a run at him...even my tangs which ignore everyone except each other have it out for him. Hes quick. If he makes it till morning I'm hoping they wake up and think hes been there all along...

Anyone have any luck with these in a mixed reef tank? Will they take aptasia or am I going to be fishing by flashlight shortly?

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes if i am able and there is a chance a fish might get picked on I add more than 1 so the fun can be spread around and they cant focus on one fish.

OP
OP
robert

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep - your right - I do this too usually...
I just saw tiny schooling bannerfish...and it was all I could do to buy it. I figured I was the one who was going to be beat up for putting a bannerfish in a coral tank...wasn't thinking of the fish.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never had a tang, but i think people put a mirror on the tank to diffuse aggression a bit, might give that a whirl

where'd you find the schooling bannerfish? i'm always floored those fish aren't way more popular. yet every lfs i've ever been to either doesn't know it exists or doesn't care

OP
OP
robert

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had one, but I've been looking for a while...Rumor has it that they're reef safe if kept well fed - and they'll go after aptasia.

Twenty peppermints later, I was resigned to a file fish but when I saw these I had to take the chance considering that I might not find one again soon. I took the smallest of six that were just introduced at a local LFS.

They didn't have any idea what I was talking about when I asked if they were heniochus diphreutes but they checked their invoice and we did a side by side on a phone. If he'll leave the corals alone, he can have all the aptasia he wants...Does Hikari have frozen aptasia cubes? JK.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had one, but I've been looking for a while...Rumor has it that they're reef safe if kept well fed - and they'll go after aptasia.

Twenty peppermints later, I was resigned to a file fish but when I saw these I had to take the chance considering that I might not find one again soon. I took the smallest of six that were just introduced at a local LFS.

They didn't have any idea what I was talking about when I asked if they were heniochus diphreutes but they checked their invoice and we did a side by side on a phone. If he'll leave the corals alone, he can have all the aptasia he wants...Does Hikari have frozen aptasia cubes? JK.

yeah they seem to fit in that category of fish that are 'safe' but might mow down some random type of coral, butterflies geniacanthus angels, etc. seems like a lot of those might still indulge in some xenia or acans or zoas, not always such a bad thing :D

either way, good luck to you, hopefully your tangs relax a bit. i added a flame angel recently and that thing was uber aggressive, kinda was worried i'd wake up to him having killed some of my fish. but a day or two went by and things were ok. hopefully that's how things go for you!

OP
OP
robert

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so...despite the abuse he's still cruising the tank...he hasn't hunkered down...so I think he'll fit in...I'll feed extra tomorrow...everybody gets along at dinner time.

He can have all the pink and golds he wants - why is it when a fish goes bad, your favorite coral is his favorite too?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back