Everything dead apart from CUC, no idea whats happened!

stolmie94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tanks 5 months old, everythings doing good up till now. performed 25% water change, go outside for ten mins come back in and the clown is laying on bottom of the tank struggling to swim. by the time i had fished him out two of my gobies were dead and my midas blenny was on his way too. all died within a few minutes of the first fish looking unwell. managed to save a blasto coral which had recessed almost strait away, hes doing much better in another tank. all CUC (hermit crabs) are doing fine, no issues which is strange. water going in matched paramiters and temp of water in the tank. tested the water before and after and the paramiters were

0 amonia
0 nitrites
0 nitates
0 phosphates
1.025 salinity
KH 8
temp 25.5c

note water was slight brown color i assume from the diatoms (not much) and not using a skimmer?

went to lfc and had them test the water, same results apart from they read salinity slightly less at 1.024. no copper, plenty of oxygen in the water.

did two 50% water changes and changed out carbon twice. bought a cromis to test in the tank, temp aclimated him, died almost instantly on going into the tank. was gasping and swiming franticly then laid on its side and passed away, all in the space of 30 seconds.

if anyone can shed any light, seems like something seriously wrong has happened and nor me or the lfs have any idea?

i did have a scented candle on in the room but we have had them in the house before? lfs said there should have been a drop in ph usualy if it was something like that?
only other thing i can think is if i still had some hand sanitiser on my hands (corona) before working on the tank? just seems very strange ive never had any issues before.
no pets in the house either and noones been near tank bar me.

Not sure where to go with it now not knowing whats caused this issue im abit relectant to restart.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruptured RO membrane - chlorine is my bet
The 25% water change killing everything is way too familiar for me. When I first started, my community water supply company was playing around with new chlorine mixes and it doesn't take much chloramine in a 25% WC to wipe out a tank. And it typically takes about 30-minutes to two hours for everyone to turn belly-up.

OP
OP
S

stolmie94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruptured RO membrane - chlorine is my bet
The 25% water change killing everything is way too familiar for me. When I first started, my community water supply company was playing around with new chlorine mixes and it doesn't take much chloramine in a 25% WC to wipe out a tank. And it typically takes about 30-minutes to two hours for everyone to turn belly-up
the water was from the local LFS they use the same in all there diplay tanks, so im not sure how the chlorine would have got in there? surley they would have had there tank wiped out too? or do you mean something else?

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe find out if your water supply (assuming you are on city water and not a well) started adding chloromines. In that case you need special rodi filters to pull that out.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the water was from the local LFS they use the same in all there diplay tanks, so im not sure how the chlorine would have got in there? surley they would have had there tank wiped out too? or do you mean something else?
I didn't see you list your water source. You're correct, LFS would be having problems too, I assume. But it sure fits chlorine/chloramine to a tee.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DaddyFish
Gold Star GIF by Christine Gritmon
I think you are onto something. I was just about to say test the RO water, dose prime....

OP
OP
S

stolmie94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see you list your water source. You're correct, LFS would be having problems too, I assume. But it sure fits chlorine/chloramine to a tee.
only thing i can think is the glass cleaner i use on the glass, could this have contained something like that? im normally very careful not to go near the top of the tank tho..

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would the o2 test in the lfs not shown depleted levels tho?
Dont think so bc by you pouring it in a sample cup and drive there with water splashing around oxygen would redissolve.

Sustaining oxygen in a reef without a skimmer presents all kinds of challenges

Reef tanks are heavy CO2. Breaking the water to release gases is so important

OP
OP
S

stolmie94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont think so bc by you pouring it in a sample cup and drive there with water splashing around oxygen would redissolve.

Sustaining oxygen in a reef without a skimmer presents all kinds of challenges

Reef tanks are heavy CO2. Thats break the water to release games is so important
hmm, would this have come on that suddenly? i thought i was pretty much over the out break.

also, i do have both my outlets breaking the surface of the water.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
test that water from the LFS. I have heard horror stories about some LFS water that they too were not aware of

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So tanks 5 months old, everythings doing good up till now. performed 25% water change, go outside for ten mins come back in and the clown is laying on bottom of the tank struggling to swim. by the time i had fished him out two of my gobies were dead and my midas blenny was on his way too. all died within a few minutes of the first fish looking unwell. managed to save a blasto coral which had recessed almost strait away, hes doing much better in another tank. all CUC (hermit crabs) are doing fine, no issues which is strange. water going in matched paramiters and temp of water in the tank. tested the water before and after and the paramiters were

0 amonia
0 nitrites
0 nitates
0 phosphates
1.025 salinity
KH 8
temp 25.5c

note water was slight brown color i assume from the diatoms (not much) and not using a skimmer?

went to lfc and had them test the water, same results apart from they read salinity slightly less at 1.024. no copper, plenty of oxygen in the water.

did two 50% water changes and changed out carbon twice. bought a cromis to test in the tank, temp aclimated him, died almost instantly on going into the tank. was gasping and swiming franticly then laid on its side and passed away, all in the space of 30 seconds.

if anyone can shed any light, seems like something seriously wrong has happened and nor me or the lfs have any idea?

i did have a scented candle on in the room but we have had them in the house before? lfs said there should have been a drop in ph usualy if it was something like that?
only other thing i can think is if i still had some hand sanitiser on my hands (corona) before working on the tank? just seems very strange ive never had any issues before.
no pets in the house either and noones been near tank bar me.

Not sure where to go with it now not knowing whats caused this issue im abit relectant to restart.
My first concern and suspect is the number of zero readings and leads me to believe you are using API test kits which are notorious for false readings and producing zero reading when they are much higher or toxic. Another possibility is stray voltage. When you dip your finger in tank or sump, any small jolts of electrical current ?

Sanitizer has caused issues for some reefers with the additives especially in generic brands. Desired parameters are :

Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .4
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
mG 1300
Alk 8-9
CA 440

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
test that water from the LFS. I have heard horror stories about some LFS water that they too were not aware of
I agree. I mix my own salt water with distilled water. I’ve never had any issues. You can’t trust your LFS to keep water parameters in check. Also yes, you need a slimmer.

Back