Everything dead apart from CUC, no idea whats happened!

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would this not be felt in the water when i put my hands in?
You may not feel it. You have to earth yourself to feel it. I wouldn’t try it that way. I definitely would test it wit a voltage meter against earth.

30sec in and dead is quite quick for any contamination to kill unless you have a bottle of bleach in the water.

OP
OP
S

stolmie94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first concern and suspect is the number of zero readings and leads me to believe you are using API test kits which are notorious for false readings and producing zero reading when they are much higher or toxic. Another possibility is stray voltage. When you dip your finger in tank or sump, any small jolts of electrical current ?

Sanitizer has caused issues for some reefers with the additives especially in generic brands. Desired parameters are :

Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .4
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
mG 1300
Alk 8-9
CA 440
i use the JBL and salifert test kits, and the shop uses JBL. i have had issues with my nitrates and poshates being too low. nope no current at all when i put my hands in.

OP
OP
S

stolmie94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not feel it. You have to earth yourself to feel it. I wouldn’t try it that way. I definitely would test it wit a voltage meter against earth.

30sec in and dead is quite quick for any contamination to kill unless you have a bottle of bleach in the water.
i can get a voltage meter, how would i test for it?

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can get a voltage meter, how would i test for it?

Just google "testing for stray voltage in fish tank" and you should get more responses than you can shake a stick at.

The short version: Set your meter to whatever your wall power runs at (typically 120 volts for US households).

Attach the black probe to something grounded.

Stick the red probe into your water.

If there's voltage in your water, it'll create a current through your meter and you'll have a reading.

OP
OP
S

stolmie94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible anyone used your container for something else? For things to die that rapidly, I would say voltage or something was in the water/container.
i do noramaly rinse my bucket out with tap water before i fill it with the salt water, now thinking aboout it you dont think this could have had enough chlorine in to have cause these problelms?

OP
OP
S

stolmie94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just google "testing for stray voltage in fish tank" and you should get more responses than you can shake a stick at.

The short version: Set your meter to whatever your wall power runs at (typically 120 volts for US households).

If there's voltage in your water, it'll create a current through your meter and you'll have a
i will deffinatly check this when i get my hands on a meter, thanks

OP
OP
S

stolmie94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with stray voltage on this one. What equipment do you have in the tank with cords?
one 300w heater, two nero 3's and a return pump i also have three lights but the cords dont go into the water.

would the current not kill the crabs too?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If there's voltage in your water, it'll create a current through your meter and you'll have a reading.
If similar
To Canadian outlets .
do they have the ground on the bottom ?
Can’t you put the black lead in there .
and the red in the tank ?
@CanuckReefer
I’m not much for making sparks .

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth:

My water supply has chloramine and I use nothing but a standard RO and it’s fine

I’ve had stray voltage in past tanks - that I could feel (Thank you Rio pumps) - fish never had any issues

If you have the equivalent surface agitation of a hang on filter your dissolved oxygen is fine

Chromis dying in 30 seconds is bizarre. They can take a 5 minute plus FW dip with formalin. I’ve had fish arrive after 3 days stuck at fedex, gasping but alive. That your CUC is fine is doubly bizarre. Can’t fathom what is going on but the more things you can rule out the better. Good luck.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If similar
To Canadian outlets .
do they have the ground on the bottom ?
Can’t you put the black lead in there .
and the red in the tank ?
@CanuckReefer
I’m not much for making sparks .
Yes sir! Just make sure that lead is inserted in the 'U ground ' portion of outlet!!!

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth:

My water supply has chloramine and I use nothing but a standard RO and it’s fine

I’ve had stray voltage in past tanks - that I could feel (Thank you Rio pumps) - fish never had any issues

If you have the equivalent surface agitation of a hang on filter your dissolved oxygen is fine

Chromis dying in 30 seconds is bizarre. They can take a 5 minute plus FW dip with formalin. I’ve had fish arrive after 3 days stuck at fedex, gasping but alive. That your CUC is fine is doubly bizarre. Can’t fathom what is going on but the more things you can rule out the better. Good luck.
Same, stray voltage from time to time...fish and inverts been happy campers. It's the long term effects from stray voltage that seem to really affect the fish from what I understand. It would be a heckuva jolt to kill em quick imo, which may or may not have happened....

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep in mind you may have small stray voltage readings, and they may be manageable... but what sort of number does it take to kill a bunch of fish that quick? I would think it would be under the event of a surge. I do have surge protection on my tank (the entire house in my case) ....I suggest it for all.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Sorry you are going thru this. I may be leaning a bit more toward disease than some type of chemical event. If all the CuC is ok, and water is ok I am wondering if there was an underlying condition.

I am just theorizing, normaly you think toxin with these events, but the inverts are ok.

@Jay Hemdal

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only thing i can think is the glass cleaner i use on the glass, could this have contained something like that? im normally very careful not to go near the top of the tank tho..
What are you cleaning the glass with? Just plain vinegar and water works and won’t hurt anything. Window cleaner anywhere nearby is playing with fire. Even if you think you where careful, you got some in the tank..

There is a lot going on in this whole situation to be honest. How good is your Lfs on their filter changes for their RODI? I’ve been burnt with that before myself. Never again will I trust water I didn’t make.

checking for stray voltage start with multi-meter on AC at above 120v. Then turn the meter lever down looking for a reading. Make sure to test for DC voltage also.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back