Everything is dying

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you or anyone done anything to the tank recently ie: water change ,what is your parameters in regards to temperature and salinity??? How old is the tank , what size ,filtration , etc .

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the parameters you've checked, at least. Check temperature, check salinity, throw in an airstone if there's any concern of aeration (like no skimmer), prepare a water change, consider running carbon, and brainstorm to figure out what could have possibly gotten in there.

Was something spilled in it? Was there some aerosol near the tank that got in? Is there an open wire in the tank zapping things? Did a heater explode? Did a sea cucumber or similar die and has secreted toxins?

Do what you can to find the cause, but a couple of massive water changes are going to be one of the faster and most blanket fixes one can really manage.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk Shrug GIF by Landon Moss

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy water can be a bacterial bloom. That could certainly cause low oxygen and kill fish. Do you dose anything?

OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the parameters you've checked, at least. Check temperature, check salinity, throw in an airstone if there's any concern of aeration (like no skimmer), prepare a water change, consider running carbon, and brainstorm to figure out what could have possibly gotten in there.

Was something spilled in it? Was there some aerosol near the tank that got in? Is there an open wire in the tank zapping things? Did a heater explode? Did a sea cucumber or similar die and has secreted toxins?

Do what you can to find the cause, but a couple of massive water changes are going to be one of the faster and most blanket fixes one can really manage.
Temp stays at about 77.9 -78.1,never had an issue with it, salinity is stable at 1.025 tank has a lid so evaporation is slow. The only thing I can think of is about a month ago my yellow cucumber wasn’t doing well but I removed it before it caused any problems. I also run carbon 24/7 & did quite a large waterchange today to see if it would help but no difference.

VA5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When in doubt use carbon and increase water movement

OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you or anyone done anything to the tank recently ie: water change ,what is your parameters in regards to temperature and salinity??? How old is the tank , what size ,filtration , etc .
Red Sea max 34 gallon, I do weekly 20% water changes, temp and salinity stay pretty stable, I just use sponge filters and occasionally a small skimmer but usually don’t need to cause bioload is low.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two things that come to mind with cloudy water. bacterial/algae bloom (in this instance, probably a bacterial bloom), and/or ammonia. what is your ammonia reading right now?
also, if you have an airstone, might be a good idea to run that if its low oxygen

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just guessing here at this point, but as a rule out -- did anyone do any deep cleaning in the house today? Any sprays, foams, etc near the tank?

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Tank is in my bedroom and I do not use any air refreshers, sunscreen or bug sprays.
I mean that's great, but I'm not really talking about those things. I'm talking about... Windex? Palmolive? Clorox All Cleaner Spray? Steam Cleaning your carpets with something strong? To the very extreme, flea bombing your house because of a doggo or catto... those kinds of cleany things.

OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean that's great, but I'm not really talking about those things. I'm talking about... Windex? Palmolive? Clorox All Cleaner Spray? Steam Cleaning your carpets with something strong? To the very extreme, flea bombing your house because of a doggo or catto... those kinds of cleany things.
Nope. I clean stuff with dawn soap and never go near the tank with it.

evrydayzawrkday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based off what you have said, it sounds like a bacteria bloom. I would personally take the following actions now, even if you have done so already:

- Perform another 30% water change, and continue to do this every day until the bloom dissipates.
- Swap out your filter media (sponges, carbon, etc)
- Look for anything that could have died, as it could feed the bloom
- Consider a GFO as well, like Chemipure Elite (or Brightwell Purit, although I don't think that is GFO).

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back