EVO 13.5 Questions

spound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All.
I’ve had an Evo 13.5 for about 6 months. I put an in tank media basket in chamber 1, upgraded the return pump, added a power head and am running an AI Prime. I’ve had some success and some losses. Right now I’m battling some algae/cyano , but it’s a learning process right?
I have a few questions.....

I am struggling with the best placement for the powerhead. I have a duncan that doesnt seem to be moving the way it should/did, but that could be attributed to it not being as happy as it should because of water conditions or changes in parameters, right? I dont want to keep fussing with he tank as it seems consistency is a key to success.

As for the lighting, I recently upgraded to an AI Prime, and originally used the BRS settings, then decided to switch to the Saxby settings with a 30 day acclimation period. Since then Ive had some mixed results. some coral very happy, at times, then looking like they are on their last leg...again, i dont want to mess with settings and cause more stress.....

Another question is about oxygenation.
Does having a cascading effect via the stock “adjustable skimmer plate” into chamber 1 oxygenate the water enough to not need surface agitation from the return head?
Obviously the more the better, just curious.

Here's a pic.... Thanks!!!
lightjpg.jpg

Rhetoric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the first question is?

Don't be afraid to put it in acclimation mode again, maybe don't turn it down as much but make it longer. 20-30% reduction for 6 weeks if you feel like it's to much light. Most corals can handle under lighting A LOT longer then over lighting.

I wouldn't count in chamber 1 to be enough. Surface agitation helps in more than just oxygen, it help give a little shimmer (I like it visually) while also stops film from building up on surface.

Just my opinions.

ahosel10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I'm looking at my tank right now. Almost the exact same set-up with a similar time frame.

I have my powerhead pointing more straight on and it seems to agitate the surface enough. The "cascade effect" from the skimmer plate is negligible.

I deal with algae and cyano at times as well. In the grand scheme of things, our tanks our still in their infancy. Still settling in.

Don't let perfect get in the way of good.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank!

Tough to say on flow as there are so many variables - the powerhead itself, the tank, the aquascape and coral placement. For Duncans, I tend to find they are middle of the road with flow.

Having that said, you are better served in my opinion with having lower flow and lower light and adjusting from there.

For the light, I would acclimate for longer and start lower. If it were me, I'd do 30+ days at 20% start.

As you've said, stability is key - including your water parameters :)

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to get the correct flow in nano tanks. Most power heads are overpowered and designed for larger tanks. Duncan’s want low to medium flow

On my nano peninsula I have my power head on the back wall, pointing the same direction as the return nozzle, angled a bit upwards. I’m creating a circular current with the both water sources aimed high and long and then it curves downwards and returns it’s path along the sandbed. A big oval loop with some agitation along the surface

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back