- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle warriors!!!
We are getting closer boys!

480619E9-4586-427F-9A9F-E6F389AD907D.jpeg

Tweaked with the media, it is shown in the correct order (Mechanical, Biological and Chemical); when the cycle starts, I will leave the mechanical basket out for a couple days; the purigen will be introduced then the lights are on at LPS intensity

D01B82C6-EC01-4966-88E2-715633DB2827.jpeg

Still shooting for September 1st; reef will be “lights off” for at least 2 or 3 weeks

Moving along!

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water jug incident!

F167B475-BC80-499D-BF68-45F85B090EC4.jpeg

I know this brand is not very popular amongst reefers (Maybe it is, just not in my town); but 1: It is one that I’ve used for years with good results, and 2: My local Petco can deliver the following day if I order before noon….

In any case, ordered the 3 jugs that make the 13.5 gallons (Calculated minus rock and sand would probably need around 10); heard the UPS truck and walked out ti the door; the first thing I see?, a squiggly line of water left from the truck to my doorstep, true enough, noticeable weight difference with the other 2, with 2.5 gallons missing

78295E6D-161D-403E-A650-F8DBAF688C0D.jpeg

They are sending a replacement, but because is Friday, they will ship on Monday, so I wont have it until Tuesday the 30th; this means, Sept 1st is forcefully the earliest.

Once I do the dark cycle, will introduce the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

Back tracked, but moving along!

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water jug incident!

F167B475-BC80-499D-BF68-45F85B090EC4.jpeg

I know this brand is not very popular amongst reefers (Maybe it is, just not in my town); but 1: It is one that I’ve used for years with good results, and 2: My local Petco can deliver the following day if I order before noon….

In any case, ordered the 3 jugs that make the 13.5 gallons (Calculated minus rock and sand would probably need around 10); heard the UPS truck and walked out ti the door; the first thing I see?, a squiggly line of water left from the truck to my doorstep, true enough, noticeable weight difference with the other 2, with 2.5 gallons missing

78295E6D-161D-403E-A650-F8DBAF688C0D.jpeg

They are sending a replacement, but because is Friday, they will ship on Monday, so I wont have it until Tuesday the 30th; this means, Sept 1st is forcefully the earliest.

Once I do the dark cycle, will introduce the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

Back tracked, but moving along!
Sorry about the mishap, but I'm glad Petco is making it right.

What issue to people have with that brand of water? Just the price? I used it to start a previous tank and it was perfectly fine.

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the mishap, but I'm glad Petco is making it right.

What issue to people have with that brand of water? Just the price? I used it to start a previous tank and it was perfectly fine.

not sure, but I always get “the look” when I mention it. To me is very good, never had any problems with it and is perfect size jug for this reef.

The Red Sea Coral Pro will be added gradually, I will use this to do a dark cycle and will start adding the RS once the lights go on (Week 4 at 40%)…. This will give me about 3 water changes to do the swap

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honest Opinion Needed!

Getting ready to add sand and water but I cant avoid the feeling of an overcrowded scape…. Do you guys feel the same?

CB81BA8D-ADFD-4474-B2B5-C281271B584A.jpeg

The plan from the beginning is to create a low height Zoanthids / Acantastrea garden on the left and leave the right side for Euphillias at the top (Soft corals being an option).

Do you see it?, in honesty please, everyone at home says is perfect as is, or the decent answer “whatever makes you happy”….

Comments welcomed

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honest Opinion Needed!

Getting ready to add sand and water but I cant avoid the feeling of an overcrowded scape…. Do you guys feel the same?

The plan from the beginning is to create a low height Zoanthids / Acantastrea garden on the left and leave the right side for Euphillias at the top (Soft corals being an option).

Do you see it?, in honesty please, everyone at home says is perfect as is, or the decent answer “whatever makes you happy”….

Comments welcomed
I think it's great. I certainly would not call it overcrowded at all. More likely, you'll end up wishing you had more surface area for coral once it's up and running. I didn't plan ahead and now have a ton of rock because I kept adding and re-scaping to add more space for coral. Yours looks really good and I don't think you need to touch it, but I'd actually lean towards "add more" if I had to pick one way or the other.

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's great. I certainly would not call it overcrowded at all. More likely, you'll end up wishing you had more surface area for coral once it's up and running. I didn't plan ahead and now have a ton of rock because I kept adding and re-scaping to add more space for coral. Yours looks really good and I don't think you need to touch it, but I'd actually lean towards "add more" if I had to pick one way or the other.
Well received advice, thanks!!!

Please keep in mind the rock is only 6” from the water surface (7” in the back), so any higher would take the soft corals from the plan.

:)

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed the black crates from the first section (1/4” lower), and just couldn’t contain myself from pouring the sand, only one 10Lbs bag was enough to meet the desired depth; ended up with a total of 10.3 gallons volume (Perfect for the dosing mark).

Will run the main pump with a single filter for a couple days and start dosing bacteria without filters on Sept 1st.

The reef will be lights off with cover for the next 32 days (Will post photo once the water clears)

9E022A83-A545-4B4E-B44F-F9B3E965F68C.jpeg

Moving along….

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well received advice, thanks!!!

Please keep in mind the rock is only 6” from the water surface (7” in the back), so any higher would take the soft corals from the plan.

:)

Not a problem! I think 6" or 7" from the surface is an ideal good stopping point. My rockwork is at about the same level in my 13.5 EVO. I run pretty intense lighting (AI Prime 16HD with slightly increased Saxby settings) for the acros and sps, but I do have some zoas and mushrooms thriving in 350+ PAR. If it weren't for the SPS, I'd definitely drop the intensity.

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem! I think 6" or 7" from the surface is an ideal good stopping point. My rockwork is at about the same level in my 13.5 EVO. I run pretty intense lighting (AI Prime 16HD with slightly increased Saxby settings) for the acros and sps, but I do have some zoas and mushrooms thriving in 350+ PAR. If it weren't for the SPS, I'd definitely drop the intensity.
The AI Prime HD is definitively the best option for this size reef, is in moments like this I wish to go back in time to recover all the equipment purchased at the beginning.

At this time Im only missing the Tunze Turbelle Nano and a Red Sea Foundation test kit; no rush until I install the lights

Do you keep a blog here for the Fluval @jfoahs04 ?

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AI Prime HD is definitively the best option for this size reef, is in moments like this I wish to go back in time to recover all the equipment purchased at the beginning.

At this time Im only missing the Tunze Turbelle Nano and a Red Sea Foundation test kit; no rush until I install the lights

Do you keep a blog here for the Fluval @jfoahs04 ?
Yeah, I wish I had just started with the good stuff instead of spending more on half-measure upgreades.

I do! https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mixed-reef-fluval-evo-13-5-with-natural-sea-water.849699/

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honest Opinion Needed!

Comments welcomed
I think it's pretty good. Maybe squeeze the two pillars closer together so the fish have a swimming lane.

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's pretty good. Maybe squeeze the two pillars closer together so the fish have a swimming lane.
Yes, it was one of the considered options, is hard to appreciate in 2D, but the pillars are set in a way that form a pass in between them; it is more visible in post # 53 :)

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one disadvantage of the Nutri-Sea Water ordered online is the increment of salinity in transit; nearly a full gallon of RODI to drop from 37+ to 34

4E845E90-6725-41FC-AFDC-C82EE444AFA9.jpeg

Also measured Ammonia at less than 2ppm this morning; I think we are ready to start the bacteria cycle tomorrow

Moving along!

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3 of the cycle

The reef is still covered and the second dose of Ammonium Chloride (40 drops) was added today; Nitrites are beginning to show up in the test…. Water is perfectly clear now and I’m maintaining salinity at 34 with temp solid at 73.5

Looks like everything is in order and according to plan.

I’m hoping to add the Coraline strains as soon as the cycle is done (Day 10/12) and also to introduce Copepods on day 15; the idea is to remove the cover box on day 30 and run the reef without lights when I add the first fish (Soon after), the same day I’m planning to add the Nano Turbelle flow pump.

Moving along!

Last edited:
OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6 of Cycling

A bit impatient with the bacteria performance, the Ammonia still has high readings forcing me to skip adding the Sodium Chloride due today…

7A06F427-62C9-40EE-8597-699CE1312CAB.jpeg

Ammonia: 2
Nitrites: 0.2
PH: 7.8

I honestly thought dosing the full bottle as directed would make the bacteria stronger (It says treats a 30 gallon tank); even though Nitrites are starting to read, adding 40 drops of Chloride will probably be best to skip for now.

Will give it a couple more days to see where it ends up but I had a lot higher expectations from it

Moving along

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an additional comment:

The Dr. Tims Aquatics sheet reads

“Do Not keep adding Ammonia until you get a reading of 2 ppm NH3-N”

Highest reading in the test is 2 ppm; would it be fair to assume they meant “IF”…. I wont add any more until it goes under 1.2 at the very least!

I feel like a total newbie using this method :disappointed-face:

4817E8FC-63ED-42F0-9B63-F758B213B390.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 8 Update:

Finally got a hold of Dr. Tim’s Aquatics, they asked me to skip the Ammonia due for day 6; sure enough, the levels went down enough to feel comfortable adding the 40 drops today!.

Made up my mind to leave the reef alone for the next few days to let it play out by itself (Aside from topping off, I wont even remove the top cover any more).

I can see it working by looking at all the parameters, is just a bit lazy.

Hopping to be cycled on day 12/13

Getting there guys!!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back