Examining the Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid fixture | BRStv Investigates

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An LED is an LED, why would it not be an even playing field?

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is in the works and they are hoping to have it ready as a conversion kit around the end of the year.

They were discussing just that in a different thread.
Would that include brackets for perpendicular Hydra 52s as well.

I really need a 72 inch unit because if I run with 2x 36 units, there won't be a way to put a light in the center.

I need to be able to put lights in center of a 72 inch span to try and avoid the cross braces on my old school deep sea aquatics

Also, I'll need 3 sets of brackets for each 36 inch set or sets total......

Those are the issues stopping me...

Last edited:

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brackets do look like they will work for the ap700 and I would use one on an SPS tank where reduced shadowing is valuable but might not on other tank types.

I have a 72" 180g display with two Kessil AP700s and a Hamilton Aruba Dual 60" T5 retrofit. Two 36" Aquatic Life fixtures would be amazing when paired with the AP700s, AMAZING! I will certainly be considering them and in fact I don't think there is any reason I won't be getting them.

Have you tried mounting the AP700 to one of these? I would like confirmation, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks Ryan!

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest question is why has nobody else done this yet? Manufacturers defending their technology patch?

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the reflectors like? Individual parabolic? On par with German efficiency? Or are they relying on the Kessil and just using T5 to hide the shadows?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because every other lighting manufacturer is busy figuring out what gimmick will sell next! [emoji23]

MH is so dead. Don't even sell half of what LEDs do and it's shrinking. The Gimmick is winning.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't say anything about who was winning or losing or anything. Just that manufacturers are more worried about the next gimmick
The "Gimmick"[emoji966] though IS going to be plug and play hybrid fixtures.

One that allows a retrofit vs having a buy a new unit will start the ball rolling but new tank owners will surely buy hybrid units right out of the gate.

I have been considering how to cut my canopy and retrofit T5s in there to compliment my LEDs for a while.

Now I can just buy a T5 unit that is plug and play with my LEDs....even better.

I'll still have to do some cutting and I'll probably wait a while to make sure these aren't cheaply made and short or fail on people's tanks but aquatic life isn't new to making T5s and I see no reason this won't be over my tank the next time I get the urge for some major upgrade project.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The "Gimmick"[emoji966] though IS going to be plug and play hybrid fixtures.

One that allows a retrofit vs having a buy a new unit will start the ball rolling but new tank owners will surely buy hybrid units right out of the gate.

I have been considering how to cut my canopy and retrofit T5s in there to compliment my LEDs for a while.

Now I can just buy a T5 unit that is plug and play with my LEDs....even better.

I'll still have to do some cutting and I'll probably wait a while to make sure these aren't cheaply made and short or fail on people's tanks but aquatic life isn't new to making T5s and I see no reason this won't be over my tank the next time I get the urge for some major upgrade project.
I completely agree. This fixture is fantastic and has tempted me since I first saw the pictures of it coming out. With a good enough black Friday sale on it and a kessil, I could be persuaded to switch to it. There would be some cons for me though. One of them being losing the heat from my halide.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't say anything about who was winning or losing or anything. Just that manufacturers are more worried about the next gimmick

Do you really think this is a gimmick? For those that actually own LEDs, could be wrong, think this is a great idea. It allows you to build your own super system with out needing a canopy or clunky looking fixtures around their sleek LEDs. Also why not add T5s? T5s are basically perfect other than the flat, stale, and artificial look they produce. This fixture make possible what many have already know they wanted and Aquatic Life has heard their calls.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you really think this is a gimmick? For those that actually own LEDs, could be wrong, think this is a great idea. It allows you to build your own super system with out needing a canopy or clunky looking fixtures around their sleek LEDs. Also why not add T5s? T5s are basically perfect other than the flat, stale, and artificial look they produce.
You didn't read what I wrote. The original question was why aquatic life was the first to do this. I said because the other manufacturers are trying to figure out which gimmick will sell. Then I put a laughing face next to it to imply I was messing around

Rcfiftyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think many reefers have realized the benefits of a t5/LED hybrid and taken matters into their own hands. Oddly enough the fixture I used was an Aquatic Life t5/mh. Removing the MH pendants and replacing with Hydra52s was easy enough but a purpose built retro such as this is so much nicer.

Are there any plans for a 72" fixture? Its a popular tank size so I cant be the only one wondering. Even a 5' fixture would work using the 80watt T5s. Stacking three 24" fixtures end to end is just too cumbersome and expensive to make it a viable option.

Additionally I would like to see a "universal spacer kit" available for purchase separately. Something that had extra long arms that could be cut to fit any brand or orientation of LED.

20170326_133334.jpg

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think many reefers have realized the benefits of a t5/LED hybrid and taken matters into their own hands. Oddly enough the fixture I used was an Aquatic Life t5/mh. Removing the MH pendants and replacing with Hydra52s was easy enough but a purpose built retro such as this is so much nicer.

Are there any plans for a 72" fixture? Its a popular tank size so I cant be the only one wondering. Even a 5' fixture would work using the 80watt T5s. Stacking three 24" fixtures end to end is just too cumbersome and expensive to make it a viable option.

Additionally I would like to see a "universal spacer kit" available for purchase separately. Something that had extra long arms that could be cut to fit any brand or orientation of LED.

20170326_133334.jpg
There is thread going you can participate:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...-reef-hobbyists-have-been-waiting-for.322301/

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back