Examining the Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid fixture | BRStv Investigates

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Friday R2R!

We has so many questions about the T5 Hybrid fixture from Aquatic Life that we just had to put it through the test! This is one of Ryan's new personal favorites so we'd love to hear what you think about it! :)

I'm thinking you should ship me the one I pre-ordered!! :p

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice video. @randyBRS Thanks for the info. Is there any way to retrofit an AP700 to the fixture? Is it worth it?
The brackets do look like they will work for the ap700 and I would use one on an SPS tank where reduced shadowing is valuable but might not on other tank types.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I predict you will sell boat loads of these fixtures. Such a simple, clean solution to the LED-only dilemma -- lack of spread as well as the T5-only dilemma - lack of pop and shimmer.

We need brackets that allow a greater distance between the T5 units so those of us with wider tanks can mount Radion XR30s perpendicular to the t5s

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this. It was mentioned in one of your q&a videos previously and I am super excited for this. I have 2 48" on pre-order and can't wait to get them in. I had planned on going radion but now you have me thinking about kessils instead... nice to have choices

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I pre-ordered this. Can't wait to get them. Estimated shipping date?

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I predict you will sell boat loads of these fixtures. Such a simple, clean solution to the LED-only dilemma -- lack of spread as well as the T5-only dilemma - lack of pop and shimmer.

We need brackets that allow a greater distance between the T5 units so those of us with wider tanks can mount Radion XR30s perpendicular to the t5s
That is in the works and they are hoping to have it ready as a conversion kit around the end of the year.

They were discussing just that in a different thread.

michael brumit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like the idea of this. Hopefully they incorporate more control of the T5s with the apex in the future. Hope they add led moonlights like they have on the other fixtures as well.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are really awesome!

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really like the idea of this. Hopefully they incorporate more control of the T5s with the apex in the future. Hope they add led moonlights like they have on the other fixtures as well.

I don't they will ever add moonlights. It will add to the cost and complexity. I like that it's relatively cheap and it's trying to do a few things and do them very well. It's a bring your own LED solution. Why would they include LED moonlight?

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryanbrs
I know you did this on a 24" cube, but what are your thoughts on a 30x30x24 cube with a 24" aquatic life and two a360we's? This is an SPS dominant tank. The aesthetics looked amazing with the kessil t5 combo from that video and while I'm having awesome success with my LED only (photon v2s) i would love the halide-ish shimmer with t5.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryanbrs
I know you did this on a 24" cube, but what are your thoughts on a 30x30x24 cube with a 24" aquatic life and two a360we's? This is an SPS dominant tank. The aesthetics looked amazing with the kessil t5 combo from that video and while I'm having awesome success with my LED only (photon v2s) i would love the halide-ish shimmer with t5.

This is what I'm hoping to run... I have two Kessil A360's planned for my 30 cube, and a 24 inch T5 Retrofit would be amazing... The hesitation I have right now is the stock 24 inch fixture only comes with a bracket for 1 Kessil, and as of yet a second bracket is not available for purchase by itself.

There is going to be a black market of trading and selling the brackets from people who bought the 36 and 48 inch fixtures but are using the radion or prime brackets only.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this. It was mentioned in one of your q&a videos previously and I am super excited for this. I have 2 48" on pre-order and can't wait to get them in. I had planned on going radion but now you have me thinking about kessils instead... nice to have choices
will these ship with bulbs ? what bulbs were used over the DT in the video?
My request is 2/4 bulb operation 1 front 1 back etc. What started as supplemental t5's is now a t5 lighting solution with supplemental LED's... and as always great job and thanks for the good work

Meyerbj81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone available to measure the space between the two fixtures to see if its wide enough for the ap700 as the mounting brackets sure look like they would word?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best solution for any LED/T5 combo tank yet when talking about PAR distribution alone!!
Make sure you understand that PAR is only part of the equation.
But PAR is also what many of the people lay on.
The T5s are for the uniformity of light and the Kessils are the best LED option for the combo.
It's definitely not like having a MH/T5 combo in regards to the very best offer of light distribution and intensity, but it is something to consider for smaller tanks and for those who really really really like the LED world...
The contrast comes with shadows from the LEDs.
In nature the shadows are much less, like when MHs are applied to the combo.
It comes closer than many options though.

Not my intention to fire the thread/video at all, nor end your party, just putting my observations here.
Great video as aways!!
Doors are open and people will get 'em! ;Greedy
Enjoy!
Grandis.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back